Can I compile C++ code on netbook with Atom/160 gig drive?

me

Is it possible to compile on a net book with such
specs?

Need answers for BOTH Linux based compilers and Windows
based ones!

BGB / cr88192

Is it possible to compile on a net book with such
specs?

Need answers for BOTH Linux based compilers and Windows
based ones!

sure, why not?...

I had before compiled a fairly large project on an ASUS EEE with a 16GB
drive...

admittedly, the keyboard was a little unpleasant...

similarly, the language is not exactly new, and wasn't always used on
necessarily powerful computers...
what kind of computers were people using in the early 90s?... yes, 386's and
486's, with typically anywhere from 4MB to 16MB of RAM.

one was doing fairly well if they had a 250MB HD.

and, just the same, C++ was there...

and the compilers ran on MS-DOS...

now, if we revert to just plain C:
one can go back to much older computers (such as the PDP-11, ...) and past
years (1970s) C was still there...

so, none of this is new, and it doesn't exactly take powerful computers to
run compilers...

J. Clarke

sure, why not?...

I had before compiled a fairly large project on an ASUS EEE with a 16GB
drive...

admittedly, the keyboard was a little unpleasant...

similarly, the language is not exactly new, and wasn't always used on
necessarily powerful computers...
what kind of computers were people using in the early 90s?... yes, 386's and
486's, with typically anywhere from 4MB to 16MB of RAM.

one was doing fairly well if they had a 250MB HD.

and, just the same, C++ was there...

and the compilers ran on MS-DOS...

now, if we revert to just plain C:
one can go back to much older computers (such as the PDP-11, ...) and past
years (1970s) C was still there...

so, none of this is new, and it doesn't exactly take powerful computers to
run compilers...

And an Atom lacks power only in a relative sense. 20 years ago it would
have been a supercomputer.

me

BGB / cr88192 said:
so, none of this is new, and it doesn't exactly take powerful computers to
run compilers...

ok well I'm new to programming......am 52 yr old man
taking intro programming class in C++...so very dumb
abt this

I knew it easy to WRITE code on an Atom CPU.... but
didn't know if one could do any compiling worth a shit
on one

I actually have two net books...one is a dell mini 9
with 16 gig ssd..... this one I'm using now is samsung
with better atom CPU and 160 gig mechanical drive

I'm getting ready to install ubuntu remix on the dell
since it has such little hard drive capacity.... hoping
for better performance than what the current OS (Win XP
home) provides

so..... will remix come with a compiler ? I'm
thinking no...

cpp4ever

ok well I'm new to programming......am 52 yr old man
taking intro programming class in C++...so very dumb
abt this

I knew it easy to WRITE code on an Atom CPU.... but
didn't know if one could do any compiling worth a shit
on one

I actually have two net books...one is a dell mini 9
with 16 gig ssd..... this one I'm using now is samsung
with better atom CPU and 160 gig mechanical drive

I'm getting ready to install ubuntu remix on the dell
since it has such little hard drive capacity.... hoping
for better performance than what the current OS (Win XP
home) provides

so..... will remix come with a compiler ? I'm
thinking no...

Don't let age be a barrier to getting stuck in. Most, if not all, Linux
distros will provide you with plenty of tools for C++ programming. The
only problem you might have is lack of drive space, but that can be
remedied with an external drive.

JB

Jorgen Grahn

On 05/23/2010 03:11 AM, (e-mail address removed) wrote: ....

Any sane Linux comes with gcc pre-packaged. I'm hoping Ubuntu is no
exception. You may have to ask for it though -- a default install
probably mostly gives you Windows-like eye-candy, a web browser and
an office suite.
Don't let age be a barrier to getting stuck in. Most, if not all, Linux
distros will provide you with plenty of tools for C++ programming. The
only problem you might have is lack of drive space, but that can be
remedied with an external drive.

Should not be a problem even with the 16GB SSD disk he mentions. The
only tricky part is if Ubuntu comes with lots of garbage and he
doesn't know what to uninstall. My Acer AOne came with an 8GB disk,
and I happily compile on it.

I found my SAS C/C++ box for the Commodore-Amiga the other day, and
was surprised that it listed a hard disk and 4MB (?) of RAM as
requirement for compiling C++ code. For C, floppies were enough. That
was ~1993 though, and the compiler did not yet support things like
templates.

But I better quit before this turns into alt.folklore.computers.

/Jorgen