    Need answers for BOTH Linux based compilers and Windows
    based ones!
    , May 23, 2010

  2. Ian Collins Guest

    On 05/23/10 11:04 AM, wrote:
    > Is it possible to compile on a net book with such specs?

    You could compile on an 8080 if you had the time.

    --
    Ian Collins
    Ian Collins, May 23, 2010

  3. <> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to compile on a net book with such
    > specs?
    >
    > Need answers for BOTH Linux based compilers and Windows
    > based ones!

    sure, why not?...

    I had before compiled a fairly large project on an ASUS EEE with a 16GB
    drive...

    admittedly, the keyboard was a little unpleasant...

    similarly, the language is not exactly new, and wasn't always used on
    necessarily powerful computers...
    what kind of computers were people using in the early 90s?... yes, 386's and
    486's, with typically anywhere from 4MB to 16MB of RAM.

    one was doing fairly well if they had a 250MB HD.

    and, just the same, C++ was there...

    and the compilers ran on MS-DOS...

    now, if we revert to just plain C:
    one can go back to much older computers (such as the PDP-11, ...) and past
    years (1970s) C was still there...

    so, none of this is new, and it doesn't exactly take powerful computers to
    run compilers...
    BGB / cr88192, May 23, 2010
  4. J. Clarke Guest

    On 5/22/2010 8:21 PM, BGB / cr88192 wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to compile on a net book with such
    >> specs?
    >>
    >> Need answers for BOTH Linux based compilers and Windows
    >> based ones!

    > sure, why not?...
    >
    > I had before compiled a fairly large project on an ASUS EEE with a 16GB
    > drive...
    >
    > admittedly, the keyboard was a little unpleasant...
    >

    > similarly, the language is not exactly new, and wasn't always used on
    > necessarily powerful computers...
    > what kind of computers were people using in the early 90s?... yes, 386's and
    > 486's, with typically anywhere from 4MB to 16MB of RAM.
    >
    > one was doing fairly well if they had a 250MB HD.
    >
    > and, just the same, C++ was there...
    >
    > and the compilers ran on MS-DOS...
    >

    > now, if we revert to just plain C:
    > one can go back to much older computers (such as the PDP-11, ...) and past
    > years (1970s) C was still there...
    >
    > so, none of this is new, and it doesn't exactly take powerful computers to
    > run compilers...

    And an Atom lacks power only in a relative sense. 20 years ago it would
    have been a supercomputer.
    J. Clarke, May 23, 2010

    "BGB / cr88192" <> wrote:

    >so, none of this is new, and it doesn't exactly take powerful computers to
    >run compilers...

    ok well I'm new to programming......am 52 yr old man
    taking intro programming class in C++...so very dumb
    abt this

    I knew it easy to WRITE code on an Atom CPU.... but
    didn't know if one could do any compiling worth a shit
    on one

    I actually have two net books...one is a dell mini 9
    with 16 gig ssd..... this one I'm using now is samsung
    with better atom CPU and 160 gig mechanical drive

    I'm getting ready to install ubuntu remix on the dell
    since it has such little hard drive capacity.... hoping
    for better performance than what the current OS (Win XP
    home) provides

    so..... will remix come with a compiler ? I'm
    thinking no...
    , May 23, 2010
  6. cpp4ever Guest

    On 05/23/2010 03:11 AM, wrote:
    > "BGB / cr88192" <> wrote:
    >
    >> so, none of this is new, and it doesn't exactly take powerful computers to
    >> run compilers...

    > ok well I'm new to programming......am 52 yr old man
    > taking intro programming class in C++...so very dumb
    > abt this
    >
    > I knew it easy to WRITE code on an Atom CPU.... but
    > didn't know if one could do any compiling worth a shit
    > on one
    >
    > I actually have two net books...one is a dell mini 9
    > with 16 gig ssd..... this one I'm using now is samsung
    > with better atom CPU and 160 gig mechanical drive
    >
    > I'm getting ready to install ubuntu remix on the dell
    > since it has such little hard drive capacity.... hoping
    > for better performance than what the current OS (Win XP
    > home) provides
    >
    > so..... will remix come with a compiler ? I'm
    > thinking no...

    Don't let age be a barrier to getting stuck in. Most, if not all, Linux
    distros will provide you with plenty of tools for C++ programming. The
    only problem you might have is lack of drive space, but that can be
    remedied with an external drive.

    JB
    cpp4ever, May 23, 2010
  7. Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Sun, 2010-05-23, cpp4ever wrote:
    > On 05/23/2010 03:11 AM, wrote:

    >> I knew it easy to WRITE code on an Atom CPU.... but
    >> didn't know if one could do any compiling worth a shit
    >> on one
    >>
    >> I actually have two net books...one is a dell mini 9
    >> with 16 gig ssd..... this one I'm using now is samsung
    >> with better atom CPU and 160 gig mechanical drive
    >>
    >> I'm getting ready to install ubuntu remix on the dell
    >> since it has such little hard drive capacity.... hoping
    >> for better performance than what the current OS (Win XP
    >> home) provides
    >>
    >> so..... will remix come with a compiler ? I'm
    >> thinking no...

    Any sane Linux comes with gcc pre-packaged. I'm hoping Ubuntu is no
    exception. You may have to ask for it though -- a default install
    probably mostly gives you Windows-like eye-candy, a web browser and
    an office suite.

    > Don't let age be a barrier to getting stuck in. Most, if not all, Linux
    > distros will provide you with plenty of tools for C++ programming. The
    > only problem you might have is lack of drive space, but that can be
    > remedied with an external drive.

    Should not be a problem even with the 16GB SSD disk he mentions. The
    only tricky part is if Ubuntu comes with lots of garbage and he
    doesn't know what to uninstall. My Acer AOne came with an 8GB disk,
    and I happily compile on it.

    I found my SAS C/C++ box for the Commodore-Amiga the other day, and
    was surprised that it listed a hard disk and 4MB (?) of RAM as
    requirement for compiling C++ code. For C, floppies were enough. That
    was ~1993 though, and the compiler did not yet support things like
    templates.

    But I better quit before this turns into alt.folklore.computers.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .