Can I do this with Ruby?

Marlon Ng

I have very little knowledge in programming. I tried to learn Visual
BASIC couple of years ago but gave up. The extent of my programming
skills is laughable. The most complicated program I can make is as
follows:
Enter numeric values in two textboxes, click a button that would add the
values, the answer would appear in a label.

Now I want to give Ruby a shot. I work in a manufacturing company and I
want to make a program that handles the following: order entry,
scheduling deliveries, updating (customers, products, suppliers, etc.)
, handling customer and supplier accounts, inventory, etc.

I know MS Access alone can handle all the work cited above but I want to
make my own program.

Any tips?

brabuhr

Now I want to give Ruby a shot. I work in a manufacturing company and I
want to make a program that handles the following: order entry,
scheduling deliveries, updating (customers, products, suppliers, etc.)
, handling customer and supplier accounts, inventory, etc.

If I was building an application to handle something like that, I
would probably start with a webapp in Ruby on Rails. If I didn't want
a webapp, I would probably look towards JRuby/Swing.

Kaye Ng

If I was building an application to handle something like that, I
would probably start with a webapp in Ruby on Rails. If I didn't want
a webapp, I would probably look towards JRuby/Swing.

I'm not interested in webapp because we don't have a network setup. I
want a simple program that works on a single pc only.

Jesús Gabriel y Galán

I'm not interested in webapp because we don't have a network setup. =A0I
want a simple program that works on a single pc only.

You don't need a network setup to use a webapp, you can launch it in
your PC and use a browser to interact with the application. HTML is
probably easier than GUI code, and web frameworks like Rails have a
lot of documentation and support.

Jesus.