Can I install 2 different java version (v1.4 and v1.6) in parallel ? Co-existence possible?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jason Stacy, Feb 10, 2008.

  1. Jason Stacy

    Jason Stacy Guest

    A software installation (from Oracle) requires the presence of java (j2ee) v1.4

    No, it does NOT accept a newer version 1.6 of java(j2ee) which is already
    installed on my computer.

    So I have to install java 1.4 in addition to the previous v1.6 on my computer.

    is this possible? Can both installation co-exist ?

    Or do they interfere each other?

    Which environment variable decides which installation is used:

    JAVA_HOME
    or the order of the java "bin" directories in the
    PATH
    environment variable ?

    J.
    Jason Stacy, Feb 10, 2008

  2. Re: Can I install 2 different java version (v1.4 and v1.6) inparallel ? Co-existence possible?

    Stefano Brocchi, Feb 10, 2008

  3. Jason Stacy

    Vijay Guest

    Re: Can I install 2 different java version (v1.4 and v1.6) inparallel ? Co-existence possible?

    On Feb 11, 12:05 am, Stefano Brocchi
    <> wrote:
    > On Feb 10, 12:11 pm, (Jason Stacy) wrote:
    >
    > > A software installation (from Oracle) requires the presence of java (j2ee) v1.4

    > > No, it does NOT accept a newer version 1.6 of java(j2ee) which is already
    > > installed on my computer.

    > > So I have to install java 1.4 in addition to the previous v1.6 on my computer.

    > > is this possible? Can both installation co-exist ?

    > > Or do they interfere each other?

    > > Which environment variable decides which installation is used:

    > > JAVA_HOME
    > > or the order of the java "bin" directories in the
    > > PATH
    > > environment variable ?

    > > J.

    Hi
    Yes you can have two versions of jdk/java in your system.
    Both the installations can coexist.
    Regarding which version to be used , just check if the software you
    are using (oracle etc..)
    allows you to choose the jdk version.
    You can also set the PATH variable to point to the required jdk
    version.

    Vijay
    Vijay, Feb 11, 2008