Can I squeeze this down any more please?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Big Bill, May 7, 2004.

  1. Big Bill

    Big Bill Guest

    This is a table from an e-commerce page. It's one of many. The client
    wants it thinner. Not a problem if we put the form code outside the
    table cell but then it breaks validation-type rules. Anyone got any
    ideas what we can do to maybe externalise the form code or summat?

    summary="audioprocessor">
    goes here</td>
    class="price">&pound; 0000.00</div></td>
    Stock</td>
    href="http://www.xe.obvious/" target="_blank">Convert this
    amount</a></td>
    action="http://cold-fusionlinkgoeshere/cf/add.cfm">
    <input type="hidden" name="userid" value="00000000">
    <input type="hidden" name="product" value="name of unit goes here
    too">
    <input type="hidden" name="price" value="0000.00">
    <input type="hidden" name="return"
    value="www.oursite/pageyouwereshoppingon.com/pages/audioprocessors.htm">
    <input type="hidden" name="units" value="3.00">
    <input type="hidden" name="qty" value="1">
    <input type="submit" name="Submit" class="buynow" value="BUY
    NOW"></form></td>

    See what I mean?

    BB

    Big Bill, May 7, 2004

  2. Big Bill

    Karl Groves Guest

    "Big Bill" <> wrote in message
    > This is a table from an e-commerce page. It's one of many. The client
    > wants it thinner.

    Tell them to hire someone that knows WTF they're doing.

    And for you:
    http://www.w3schools.com/html/

    -Karl

    Karl Groves, May 7, 2004

  3. Big Bill

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Big Bill <> wrote:

    >This is a table from an e-commerce page. It's one of many. The client
    >wants it thinner.

    Thinner meaning less pixels? Or thinner meaning less bytes?

    >Not a problem if we put the form code outside the table cell

    Depending on where you move it to that can remove some vertical space
    but it won't remove any horizontal space (forms have default non-zero
    top/bottom margins not left/right margins) and won't reduce the amount
    of code used, so I don't see how it can make the page 'thinner' in
    either sense.

    >but then it breaks validation-type rules.

    Not if you put it outside the entire table:
    <form>
    </form>

    >Anyone got any
    >ideas what we can do to maybe externalise the form code or summat?

    If some or all of the values of the hidden fields are constant then
    they can be moved to the server and incorporated into the form
    handler.

    >summary="audioprocessor">

    If you want the page thinner in terms of pixels then change 650 to a
    smaller number. If you want the page thinner in terms of bytes then
    get rid of all those attributes and use CSS instead.

    The summary is intended to be read out by speaking browsers, etc. so
    it should be ordinary prose, not some meaningless run-together label
    like audioprocessor.

    >goes here</td>
    >class="price">&pound; 0000.00</div></td>
    >Stock</td>
    >href="http://www.xe.obvious/" target="_blank">Convert this
    >amount</a></td>
    >action="http://cold-fusionlinkgoeshere/cf/add.cfm">
    > <input type="hidden" name="userid" value="00000000">
    > <input type="hidden" name="product" value="name of unit goes here
    >too">
    > <input type="hidden" name="price" value="0000.00">
    > <input type="hidden" name="return"
    >value="www.oursite/pageyouwereshoppingon.com/pages/audioprocessors.htm">
    > <input type="hidden" name="units" value="3.00">
    > <input type="hidden" name="qty" value="1">
    > <input type="submit" name="Submit" class="buynow" value="BUY
    >NOW"></form></td>
    >
    >See what I mean?

    Not really.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, May 7, 2004
  4. Big Bill

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <c7frpl$mef$>,
    says...
    > > This is a table from an e-commerce page. It's one of many. The client
    > > wants it thinner.

    > Tell them to hire someone that knows WTF they're doing.
    > And for you:
    > http://www.w3schools.com/html/

    I bet your are a ball to be around at the office.... ( * )

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, May 7, 2004
  5. Big Bill

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 07 May 2004 12:29:15 +0100, Steve Pugh <> wrote:

    >Big Bill <> wrote:
    >
    >>This is a table from an e-commerce page. It's one of many. The client
    >>wants it thinner.

    >Thinner meaning less pixels? Or thinner meaning less bytes?

    I was amiss here, I should have explained further. There are usually
    several tables like this on a page, vertically aligned, with several
    items in each. So it would be vertically smaller we'd be looking for.

    >>Not a problem if we put the form code outside the table cell

    >Depending on where you move it to that can remove some vertical space
    >but it won't remove any horizontal space (forms have default non-zero
    >top/bottom margins not left/right margins) and won't reduce the amount
    >of code used, so I don't see how it can make the page 'thinner' in
    >either sense.
    >
    >>but then it breaks validation-type rules.

    >Not if you put it outside the entire table:
    ><form>
    ></form>

    I'm thinking that that would only work if there were only one item per
    table. I was thinking along those lines at one time. I can't remember
    what turned me off the idea. Maybe I should think some more.

    >>Anyone got any
    >>ideas what we can do to maybe externalise the form code or summat?

    >If some or all of the values of the hidden fields are constant then
    >they can be moved to the server and incorporated into the form
    >handler.

    Ah. Now this is more like it. The only constant, though, would seem to
    be the userid. Mind, it's a step in the right direction, thanks.

    >>summary="audioprocessor">

    >If you want the page thinner in terms of pixels then change 650 to a
    >smaller number. If you want the page thinner in terms of bytes then
    >get rid of all those attributes and use CSS instead.

    The designer has used a whole load of CSS. It's a bit muddled in
    places though.
    Okey, thanks for your help.

    BB

    Big Bill, May 7, 2004
  6. Big Bill

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 7 May 2004 07:26:44 -0400, "Karl Groves"
    <> wrote:

    >"Big Bill" <> wrote in message
    >> This is a table from an e-commerce page. It's one of many. The client
    >> wants it thinner.

    >Tell them to hire someone that knows WTF they're doing.
    >
    >And for you:
    >http://www.w3schools.com/html/
    >

    >-Karl

    Well that was wonderfully helpful.

    BB

    Big Bill, May 7, 2004
  7. In article Big Bill wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 May 2004 12:29:15 +0100, Steve Pugh <> wrote:
    >
    > >Big Bill <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>This is a table from an e-commerce page. It's one of many. The client
    > >>wants it thinner.

    > >Thinner meaning less pixels? Or thinner meaning less bytes?

    > I was amiss here, I should have explained further. There are usually
    > several tables like this on a page, vertically aligned, with several
    > items in each. So it would be vertically smaller we'd be looking for.

    Even if this was first thing I thought when reading that taking form out
    of table helped, you just didn't ask it (I just got exellent English
    grades). CSS:
    form {margin:0;}

    [huge number of lines snipped]

    I'm looking for work | Etsin työtä

    Lauri Raittila, May 7, 2004
  8. Big Bill

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 7 May 2004 19:59:23 +0300, Lauri Raittila
    <> wrote:

    >In article Big Bill wrote:

    >> >Thinner meaning less pixels? Or thinner meaning less bytes?

    >> I was amiss here, I should have explained further. There are usually
    >> several tables like this on a page, vertically aligned, with several
    >> items in each. So it would be vertically smaller we'd be looking for.

    >Even if this was first thing I thought when reading that taking form out
    >of table helped, you just didn't ask it (I just got exellent English
    >grades). CSS:
    >form {margin:0;}

    Erm,.......(idea!)

    All your base are belong to us!

    I thank you for your help, though I'm not sure I understand it.
    I'll try to work it in.

    BB

    Big Bill, May 7, 2004