Can It Be Done?

Bryan Krossley

Hello group. I am new to asp.net though I have some web site creation
experience with html and Dreamweaver. I am wanting to design a web site
that has buying and selling and trading capibilities. I would also like to
design a desktop app that a person can put in there inventory and use it as
a kind of interface to upload what they wold like to sell. Is this
possible?

Thanks,

Bryan Krossley

Mark Rae [MVP]

Hello group. I am new to asp.net though I have some web site creation
experience with html and Dreamweaver. I am wanting to design a web site
that has buying and selling and trading capibilities.

Yes - pretty much anything which can be done in a web application can be
done with ASP.NET and a backend database...
I would also like to design a desktop app that a person can put in there
inventory and use it as a kind of interface to upload what they wold like
to sell. Is this possible?

Absolutely! Just point the desktop app at the same database... :)

Bryan Krossley

Thanks for the reply,

Could you give me any ideas on where to start as far as learning how to
implement. Like I said I am new but determined.

Thanks

Bryan

Bjorn Sagbakken

Bryan Krossley said:
Thanks for the reply,

Could you give me any ideas on where to start as far as learning how to
implement. Like I said I am new but determined.

Her is my vote:

Get a database and add some tables; one for the objects for sale including
fields for status (for sale/sold), dates and whatever; one for login with
username, password and other info depending on how to invoice the buyer.
Maybe other tables too. The database can be whatever from Access to Oracle,
depending on what you have at hand.

Regarding app versus web, my choice would be to go for a web-solution only.
With at login page you can have a upload/admin page accessible only to the
administrator of the system.

The other users go to a page with objects for sale listed in a grid/table,
they add the desired object to a basket, clicks checkout - and yes - this is
of course absolutely possible with ASP.NET !!

(there are however many strange holes to fall into - but later there are
many magnificent mountains to yell from too)

Bjorn

Guest

Bryan,
Not to sound like a broken MP3 but the place to start is the ASP.NET web
site and the QUCKSTARTS. They also have sample applications you can download
and use as a starting point.
Peter