Can pdb be set to break on warnings?

LorcanM

Hello,

I use pdb under Linux to debug my Python code, as in:

python -m pdb myprogram.py

By default it does a postmortem of unhandled exceptions, is there a way
to get it to break on warnings?

Thanks a lot,

Lorcan.

Fredrik Lundh

LorcanM said:
> I use pdb under Linux to debug my Python code, as in:

python -m pdb myprogram.py

By default it does a postmortem of unhandled exceptions, is there a way
to get it to break on warnings?

is

python -m pdb -Werror myprogram.py

what you're looking for ?

</F>

LorcanM

Fredrik said:
is

python -m pdb -Werror myprogram.py

what you're looking for ?

</F>

It sounds like what I want, but it doesn't work for me. When I try the
above line of code, it replies:
Error: -Werror does not exist

I'm running Python 2.4.3

Thanks for the help,

Lorcan.

Fredrik Lundh

LorcanM said:
It sounds like what I want, but it doesn't work for me. When I try the
above line of code, it replies:

Error: -Werror does not exist

I'm running Python 2.4.3

sorry, pilot cut and paste error. try:

python -Werror -m pdb myprogram.py

(-m script must be the last option before the script arguments, for pretty
obvious reasons).

</F>

Gabriel Genellina

It sounds like what I want, but it doesn't work for me. When I try the
above line of code, it replies:
Error: -Werror does not exist

Try: python -h

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

LorcanM

Fredrik said:
sorry, pilot cut and paste error. try:

python -Werror -m pdb myprogram.py

(-m script must be the last option before the script arguments, for pretty
obvious reasons).

</F>

Thanks for that - that does the trick,

Lorcan.

R. Bernstein

This seems like very useful information. In the documentation I've
been maintaining for the extended python debugger
(http://bashdb.sf.net/pydb) I've added this as a little footnote:
http://bashdb.sourceforge.net/pydb/pydb/lib/pydb-invocation.html#foot1113

However since pydb allows for options on it's own, I wonder if there
might not be a way do this from *inside* a Python
debugger/program. Specifically so that when an execfile is called, it
is as though -Werror were given initially. Possibly by setting
sys.warnoptions? Anyone know offhand if that or something else will
work?

I'll do the testing myself if someone can give a small python program
that gives such a warning. (I realize most people contributing to
comp.lang.python write programs flawlessly the first time so they've
never come across such a warning message either, let alone have need
for a debugger; but this thread suggested that the perhaps there might
such a person who has seen a Python warning message exists. :)