    with the heading line seen here: How do I do it?

    title="Google tips."

    <h1>This is a heading</h1>
    Desser, Sep 2, 2008

  2. Desser

    Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode, <48bd1716$0$15896$>, the
    lovely and talented Desser broadcast on alt.html:

    > I have read somewhere that it is possible to use the title= property to
    > display a tooltip line when the curser is over a heading line. Like the Alt
    > tag do. I can do it with a picture and a href link. But can it also be done
    > with the heading line seen here: How do I do it?

    Okay, you pretty clearly lack even the most basic understanding of html.
    There are many free introductory tutorials on the web. Take one.

    TITLE is an attribute. It is a valid attribute with all but a handful of
    elements. With many elements it is not at all clear what TITLE should mean,
    and nowhere is it said what browsers should do with it. It is up to
    browsers to decide what, if anything, to do with the TITLE attribute. Some
    browsers will use the TITLE attribute of some elements as tooltip text.
    There are several other things that browsers could do with it, including
    ignoring it entirely. The TITLE attribute is set exactly the same way
    as any other attribute.

    > title="Google tips."

    ><h1>This is a heading</h1>

    This is what reveals that you don't know what an attribute is, or what to do
    with one.

    <h1 title="Google tips.">This is a heading</h1>

    Maybe your browser will display the title in a tooltip. Maybe it will
    display the title text in a status line. Maybe it will do nothing at all
    with it. Information vital to understanding your document should not be
    placed in a TITLE attribute because there is no assurance that browsers will
    do anything at all with it.

    Moreover, it is not at all clear what the title of heading might mean.

    --
    Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/>
    War on Terrorism: Treat Viewers like Mushrooms
    Lars Eighner, Sep 2, 2008

  3. On 2008-09-02, Desser wrote:
    > I have read somewhere that it is possible to use the title= property to
    > display a tooltip line when the curser is over a heading line.

    If your browser supports it.

    > Like the Alt tag do.

    Like the Alt attribute (not tag) does in MSIE but shouldn't.
    That's not what the alt attribute is for.

    > I can do it with a picture and a href link. But
    > can it also be done with the heading line seen here: How do I do it?
    >
    > title="Google tips."
    >
    ><h1>This is a heading</h1>

    <h1 title="Google tips.">This is a heading</h1>

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Sep 2, 2008
  4. Desser

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 16:40:05 +0000, Chris F.A. Johnson <> wrote:
    > On 2008-09-02, Desser wrote:
    >> I have read somewhere that it is possible to use the title= property to
    >> display a tooltip line when the curser is over a heading line.

    > If your browser supports it.

    For what it's worth, both GUI browsers available to me display
    tooltips for <h1 title="...">... These two are Opera 9.5 and Firefox.

    It doesn't seem very useful though -- you cannot /do/ anything to a
    tooltip but read it, and you never know if one will pop up if you wait
    long enough.

    >> Like the Alt tag do.

    > Like the Alt attribute (not tag) does in MSIE but shouldn't.
    > That's not what the alt attribute is for.

    Like the Alt attribute does in MSIE /for inline images/ (and maybe
    some other things; too lazy to check the DTD). It's not even valid
    for things like <h1>.

    /Jorgen

    Jorgen Grahn, Sep 6, 2008