Can we have "Guru of the week" on comp.lang.c?

harsha

Hello all,
I am a newbie to Usenet and comp.lang.c and it has been wonderful to
read all the expert opinion in the group.
However, there is no regular puzzles thread that I could find.(browsed
a bit of the archives,couldn't find a suitable one).
Can some of the regulars start such a thread (like guru of the week,
which was on comp.lang.c++.moderated).
It would be very helpful to newbies and others. Thank you.

ps: I am sorry if such a thread already exists. I couldn't find it.
Also, if there is a regular puzzles thread on some other newsgroup,can
someone direct me to it. Thank you.

Harsha

Ben Pfaff

harsha said:
However, there is no regular puzzles thread that I could find.(browsed
a bit of the archives,couldn't find a suitable one).
Can some of the regulars start such a thread (like guru of the week,
which was on comp.lang.c++.moderated).

It's much harder to do this in C than in C++, because C is such a
simple language that there are far fewer wrong ways to do things.

Gerry Ford

Ben Pfaff said:
It's much harder to do this in C than in C++, because C is such a
simple language that there are far fewer wrong ways to do things.
Ben would be a suitable guru of the week for the week including Christmas.
Send tithes and offerings to central Michigan. They need it. Do I remember
Dewitt 48820 middle purple?
--
Ford

"If they took all the "and it came to pass's" out of the BoM, it would be a
pamphlet"
~ Twain Maine

3 Republican Square
251 Michigan Av.
GR, MI 49503

Get Anonymous, Uncensored, Access to West and East Coast Server Farms at!
----== Highest Retention and Completion Rates! HTTP://WWW.NEWSGROUPS.COM ==----

pete

harsha said:
Hello all,
I am a newbie to Usenet and comp.lang.c and it has been wonderful to
read all the expert opinion in the group.
However, there is no regular puzzles thread that I could find.(browsed
a bit of the archives,couldn't find a suitable one).
Can some of the regulars start such a thread (like guru of the week,
which was on comp.lang.c++.moderated).
It would be very helpful to newbies and others. Thank you.

ps: I am sorry if such a thread already exists. I couldn't find it.
Also, if there is a regular puzzles thread on some other newsgroup,can
someone direct me to it. Thank you.

Here's the rules for the clc game:
You get one point
for an accurate statement about the C programming language.
You get an extra point if you answer a question, first.
You get all of a person's points for an accurate correction.
Scores roll over back to zero after one point.

We also have a "Pedant Award".
It's in the form of a virtual pendant.

harsha

Here's the rules for the clc game:
You get one point
for an accurate statement about the C programming language.
You get an extra point if you answer a question, first.
You get all of a person's points for an accurate correction.
Scores roll over back to zero after one point.

We also have a "Pedant Award".
It's in the form of a virtual pendant.

It is hard to make out sarcasm from text, but your post seems to make
a mockery of mine. I see that no one is enthusiastic about the idea.
Anyway, I found a non Usenet group for this so sorry to bother.
However,if that was not mocking and you meant it, it sounds fun.
Please start the game with your question.
Thank you.

Ben Pfaff

pete said:
Here's the rules for the clc game:
You get one point
for an accurate statement about the C programming language.

We used to have points awarded for a comp.lang.c drinking game.
There was a web page set up for it by, if I recall correctly,
Dave Vandervies (it seems to have disappeared now). But everyone
tired of it pretty quickly.

dj3vande

We used to have points awarded for a comp.lang.c drinking game.
There was a web page set up for it by, if I recall correctly,
Dave Vandervies (it seems to have disappeared now).

That assigned points for incorrect answers, not correct ones.

But everyone
tired of it pretty quickly.

I think I still have a copy of it somewhere; I could dig it out and put
it back up if anybody wants to try again.

dave

Keith Thompson

harsha said:
I am a newbie to Usenet and comp.lang.c and it has been wonderful to
read all the expert opinion in the group.
However, there is no regular puzzles thread that I could find.(browsed
a bit of the archives,couldn't find a suitable one).
Can some of the regulars start such a thread (like guru of the week,
which was on comp.lang.c++.moderated).
It would be very helpful to newbies and others. Thank you.
[...]

It's not a bad idea, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it done
here. The problem is finding people willing and able to spend the
time to set it up.

It looks like the last Guru of the Week article on
comp.lang.c++.moderated was posted in 2003. The www.gotw.ca web site
is still there, but it doesn't seem to mention the Guru of the Week
stuff.

My suspicion is that this newsgroup wouldn't be able to support
something like that. I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

Richard Heathfield

Keith Thompson said:

My suspicion is that this newsgroup wouldn't be able to support
something like [Guru of the Week]. I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

Something like what? Could you elaborate on what is being requested here? I
have only the haziest idea of what you're talking about, and would
appreciate a little clarification.

Robert Gamble

The "Guru of the Week" stuff is at http://www.gotw.ca/gotw/index.htm.
My suspicion is that this newsgroup wouldn't be able to support
something like that. I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here, can you elaborate?

Peter Nilsson

harsha said:
Hello all,
I am a newbie to Usenet and comp.lang.c and it has been
wonderful to read all the expert opinion in the group.
However, there is no regular puzzles thread that I could
find.(browsed a bit of the archives,couldn't find a
suitable one). Can some of the regulars start such a
thread (like guru of the week, which was on
comp.lang.c++.moderated).
It would be very helpful to newbies and others.

I disagree, on two main grounds.

Firstly, it's like IQ tests. The only thing they end up
measuring is people's ability to do IQ tests. It's the
old saying, there are lies, damn lies, etc...

Secondly, having a measure of the supposedly better
respondents simply encourages people to take 'proof by
authority', rather than actually analysing posts for
themselves, cross referencing with what the standards
actually say, and learning a thing or two in the process.

The most important thing any newbie (or non-newbie) can
know is that we are each responsible for our own
education, not anyone else. If you want to know who is
talking the truth and who isn't, then you have be
responsible for gauging truth. It should not be done
for you any more than homework should be done for you.

jameskuyper

Peter said:
I disagree, on two main grounds.

Firstly, it's like IQ tests. The only thing they end up
measuring is people's ability to do IQ tests. It's the
old saying, there are lies, damn lies, etc...

Secondly, having a measure of the supposedly better
respondents simply encourages people to take 'proof by
authority', rather than actually analysing posts for
themselves, cross referencing with what the standards
actually say, and learning a thing or two in the process.

Have you actually looked at the "Guru of the week" threads on
comp.lang.c++.moderated? They were filled with discussions about what
the right solution was, disagreements with the supposed "authorities"
about whether the solutions were right, cross-references to the
standard where relevant (and often when not relevant, as well). A
great deal of learning was done in the process. Maybe you're thinking
about something else?

Keith Thompson

Robert Gamble said:
The "Guru of the Week" stuff is at http://www.gotw.ca/gotw/index.htm.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here, can you elaborate?

Um, I don't see what was unclear about what I said. I was musing that
what the OP suggested (a series of quiz problems, basically) wouldn't
be a bad idea for comp.lang.c, but that it probably won't happen.

Robert Gamble

Um, I don't see what was unclear about what I said. I was musing that
what the OP suggested (a series of quiz problems, basically) wouldn't
be a bad idea for comp.lang.c, but that it probably won't happen.

I didn't understand what you meant by "wouldn't be able to support
something like that". What do you mean by "support" and why do you
think this group wouldn't be able to?

Richard Heathfield

harsha said:
Hello all,
I am a newbie to Usenet and comp.lang.c and it has been wonderful to
read all the expert opinion in the group.
However, there is no regular puzzles thread that I could find.(browsed
a bit of the archives,couldn't find a suitable one).
Can some of the regulars start such a thread (like guru of the week,
which was on comp.lang.c++.moderated).

See the new thread, "Latest Usenet C Argument".

Mark McIntyre

I didn't understand what you meant by "wouldn't be able to support
something like that". What do you mean by "support" and why do you
think this group wouldn't be able to?

Surely its obvious what Keith meant. GoTW requires posters who have
enough time on their hands to a) write the puzzles and b) answer them. My
impression of many of the regulars here is that they have daytime jobs.

Plus we have quite enough challenges trying to explain some of the
'orrible code that gets posted already...