can you write to a dos format while in unix

mmccaws2

My users are will be uploading a file from unix. I'm trying to save a
step by formatting the file while in unix so they don't have to format
it with

"perl -p -e 's/\r/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile"

The resulting file after copied to windows did not have a readable
format. Is this a process that can only be done after the file
transfer?

Mike

Joost Diepenmaat

mmccaws2 said:
My users are will be uploading a file from unix. I'm trying to save a
step by formatting the file while in unix so they don't have to format
it with

"perl -p -e 's/\r/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile"

The resulting file after copied to windows did not have a readable
format. Is this a process that can only be done after the file
transfer?

No, you're doing it wrong.

*ON UNIX*, you can do:

perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile

Final results are dependent on the transfer protocol (i.e. do NOT
transfer those files with FTP in ASCII mode).

Colin B.

mmccaws2 said:
My users are will be uploading a file from unix. I'm trying to save a
step by formatting the file while in unix so they don't have to format
it with

"perl -p -e 's/\r/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile"

The resulting file after copied to windows did not have a readable
format. Is this a process that can only be done after the file
transfer?

Unless I'm missing something, you should just be able to do:
$unix2dos $infile > $outfile

Colin

Rich Grise

No, you're doing it wrong.

*ON UNIX*, you can do:

perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile

Final results are dependent on the transfer protocol (i.e. do NOT
transfer those files with FTP in ASCII mode).

What's wrong with
$ todos < $infile > $dosfile
?

Thanks,
Rich

mmccaws2

What's wrong with
$ todos < $infile > $dosfile
?

Thanks,
Rich

Sorry that wasn't quite right. I made the change and then scp'd. scp
on XP which is a product of Attachmate.

Mike

mmccaws2

Sorry that wasn't quite right. I made the change and then scp'd. scp
on XP which is a product of Attachmate.

Mike

How does one print hidden characters like '\n' in perl or cl?

Mike

mmccaws2

mmccaws2 said:
How does one print hidden characters like '\n' in perl or cl?

You change them to something printable:

$line = "123\n";
$line =~ s{\n}{\\n\n}g; # '123\n'

or maybe

$line =~ s{([[:cntrl:]]}{sprintf"\\%x\n",ord($1)}eg; # '123\a'
print $line;

--
Jim Gibson

color]

Thanks I should've, could've thought of that, but I hadn't

Mike

Joost Diepenmaat

What's wrong with
$ todos < $infile > $dosfile
?

Nothing if you have it. Same for unix2dos etc. FTR: I seem to have
neither on my debian box which has been in use for years.