    format. Is this a process that can only be done after the file
    transfer?

    Mike

    mmccaws2, Apr 8, 2008

  2. mmccaws2 <> writes:

    > My users are will be uploading a file from unix. I'm trying to save a
    > step by formatting the file while in unix so they don't have to format
    > it with
    >
    > "perl -p -e 's/\r/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile"
    >
    > The resulting file after copied to windows did not have a readable
    > format. Is this a process that can only be done after the file
    > transfer?

    No, you're doing it wrong.

    *ON UNIX*, you can do:

    perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile

    Final results are dependent on the transfer protocol (i.e. do NOT
    transfer those files with FTP in ASCII mode).

    Joost Diepenmaat, Apr 8, 2008

  3. mmccaws2

    Colin B. Guest

    mmccaws2 <> wrote:
    > My users are will be uploading a file from unix. I'm trying to save a
    > step by formatting the file while in unix so they don't have to format
    > it with
    >
    > "perl -p -e 's/\r/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile"
    >
    > The resulting file after copied to windows did not have a readable
    > format. Is this a process that can only be done after the file
    > transfer?

    Unless I'm missing something, you should just be able to do:
    $unix2dos $infile > $outfile

    Colin

    Colin B., Apr 8, 2008
  4. mmccaws2

    Rich Grise Guest

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:12:18 +0200, Joost Diepenmaat wrote:

    > mmccaws2 <> writes:
    >
    >> My users are will be uploading a file from unix. I'm trying to save a
    >> step by formatting the file while in unix so they don't have to format
    >> it with
    >>
    >> "perl -p -e 's/\r/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile"
    >>
    >> The resulting file after copied to windows did not have a readable
    >> format. Is this a process that can only be done after the file
    >> transfer?

    > No, you're doing it wrong.
    >
    > *ON UNIX*, you can do:
    >
    > perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile
    >
    > Final results are dependent on the transfer protocol (i.e. do NOT
    > transfer those files with FTP in ASCII mode).

    What's wrong with
    $ todos < $infile > $dosfile
    ?

    Thanks,
    Rich

    Rich Grise, Apr 8, 2008
  5. mmccaws2

    mmccaws2 Guest

    On Apr 8, 1:54 pm, Rich Grise <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:12:18 +0200, Joost Diepenmaat wrote:
    > > mmccaws2 <> writes:

    > >> My users are will be uploading a file from unix. I'm trying to save a
    > >> step by formatting the file while in unix so they don't have to format
    > >> it with

    > >> "perl -p -e 's/\r/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile"

    > >> The resulting file after copied to windows did not have a readable
    > >> format. Is this a process that can only be done after the file
    > >> transfer?

    > > No, you're doing it wrong.

    > > *ON UNIX*, you can do:

    > > perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile

    > > Final results are dependent on the transfer protocol (i.e. do NOT
    > > transfer those files with FTP in ASCII mode).

    > What's wrong with
    > $ todos < $infile > $dosfile
    > ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Rich

    we're using scp that comes on HPUX. The results did seem to change.

    Mike

    mmccaws2, Apr 8, 2008
  6. mmccaws2

    mmccaws2 Guest

    On Apr 8, 1:54 pm, Rich Grise <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:12:18 +0200, Joost Diepenmaat wrote:
    > > mmccaws2 <> writes:

    > >> My users are will be uploading a file from unix. I'm trying to save a
    > >> step by formatting the file while in unix so they don't have to format
    > >> it with

    > >> "perl -p -e 's/\r/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile"

    > >> The resulting file after copied to windows did not have a readable
    > >> format. Is this a process that can only be done after the file
    > >> transfer?

    > > No, you're doing it wrong.

    > > *ON UNIX*, you can do:

    > > perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile

    > > Final results are dependent on the transfer protocol (i.e. do NOT
    > > transfer those files with FTP in ASCII mode).

    > What's wrong with
    > $ todos < $infile > $dosfile
    > ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Rich

    Sorry that wasn't quite right. I made the change and then scp'd. scp
    on XP which is a product of Attachmate.

    Mike

    mmccaws2, Apr 8, 2008
  7. mmccaws2

    mmccaws2 Guest

    On Apr 8, 2:19 pm, mmccaws2 <> wrote:
    > On Apr 8, 1:54 pm, Rich Grise <> wrote:

    > > > No, you're doing it wrong.

    > > > *ON UNIX*, you can do:

    > > > perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile

    > > > Final results are dependent on the transfer protocol (i.e. do NOT
    > > > transfer those files with FTP in ASCII mode).

    > > What's wrong with
    > > $ todos < $infile > $dosfile
    > > ?

    > > Thanks,
    > > Rich

    > Sorry that wasn't quite right. I made the change and then scp'd. scp
    > on XP which is a product of Attachmate.
    >
    > Mike

    How does one print hidden characters like '\n' in perl or cl?

    Mike

    mmccaws2, Apr 8, 2008
  8. mmccaws2

    mmccaws2 Guest

    On Apr 8, 2:29 pm, mmccaws2 <> wrote:
    > On Apr 8, 2:19 pm, mmccaws2 <> wrote:

    > > > What's wrong with
    > > > $ todos < $infile > $dosfile
    > > > ?

    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Rich

    > > Sorry that wasn't quite right. I made the change and then scp'd. scp
    > > on XP which is a product of Attachmate.

    > > Mike

    > How does one print hidden characters like '\n' in perl or cl?
    >
    > Mike

    Also, I've never used unix2dos, is this a module or program?

    Mike

    mmccaws2, Apr 8, 2008
  9. mmccaws2

    mmccaws2 Guest

    On Apr 8, 4:22 pm, Jim Gibson <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    > mmccaws2 <> wrote:
    > > How does one print hidden characters like '\n' in perl or cl?

    > You change them to something printable:
    >
    > $line = "123\n";
    > $line =~ s{\n}{\\n\n}g; # '123\n'
    >
    > or maybe
    >
    > $line =~ s{([[:cntrl:]]}{sprintf"\\%x\n",ord($1)}eg; # '123\a'
    > print $line;
    >
    > --
    > Jim Gibson

    > http://www.usenet.com

    Thanks I should've, could've thought of that, but I hadn't

    Mike

    mmccaws2, Apr 9, 2008
  10. Rich Grise <> writes:

    > What's wrong with
    > $ todos < $infile > $dosfile
    > ?

    Nothing if you have it. Same for unix2dos etc. FTR: I seem to have
    neither on my debian box which has been in use for years.

    Joost Diepenmaat, Apr 9, 2008