    Windows XP. I am not sure is this is the issue. I verified the IIS is up
    and running on my computer. Is there anything that can be done to correct
    this?

    rmcompute, Oct 26, 2007

  2. rmcompute

    Ed Stewart Guest

    http://www.w3schools.com/asp/asp_intro.asp

    Ed Stewart, Oct 26, 2007

  3. rmcompute wrote:
    > I have Windows 2000 and recently included Internet Information
    > Services. I then created a simple ASP file and clicked on it. The
    > Open With dialog appears asking me to select a program. I copied an
    > existing ASP file, test.ASP from another computer where it runs
    > successfully. When I copied it to my computer it changed to test.ASP
    > auto file. The other computer runs Windows XP. I am not sure is
    > this is the issue. I verified the IIS is up and running on my
    > computer. Is there anything that can be done to correct this?

    While the article that Ed cited is good, it seems to assume that one
    already knows how to run an asp file.

    One cannot run an asp page by double-clicking it in Explorer. One has to
    use a browser to request it from a web server, so, the asp file needs to
    be put in a folder under inetpub/wwwroot and requested via
    http://localhost/foldername/test.asp
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Oct 26, 2007
  4. rmcompute

    rmcompute Guest

    I typed http://localhost/Rmtest01/Rmtest.asp where Rmtest01 is the folder and
    Rmtest.asp is the file, but I still got the message, page not found. Since I
    have never ran an asp file on this computer, do you know if there is anything
    else that has to be checked?

    rmcompute, Oct 28, 2007
  5. Can you run an html file in the same location" I.E.,
    http://localhost/Rmtest01/RmHTMLtest.htm

    rmcompute wrote:
    > I typed http://localhost/Rmtest01/Rmtest.asp where Rmtest01 is the
    > folder and Rmtest.asp is the file, but I still got the message, page
    > not found. Since I have never ran an asp file on this computer, do
    > you know if there is anything else that has to be checked?
    >
    > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> rmcompute wrote:
    >>> I have Windows 2000 and recently included Internet Information
    >>> Services. I then created a simple ASP file and clicked on it. The
    >>> Open With dialog appears asking me to select a program. I copied an
    >>> existing ASP file, test.ASP from another computer where it runs
    >>> successfully. When I copied it to my computer it changed to
    >>> test.ASP auto file. The other computer runs Windows XP. I am not
    >>> sure is
    >>> this is the issue. I verified the IIS is up and running on my
    >>> computer. Is there anything that can be done to correct this?

    >> While the article that Ed cited is good, it seems to assume that one
    >> already knows how to run an asp file.
    >>
    >> One cannot run an asp page by double-clicking it in Explorer. One
    >> has to use a browser to request it from a web server, so, the asp
    >> file needs to
    >> be put in a folder under inetpub/wwwroot and requested via
    >> http://localhost/foldername/test.asp
    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Oct 28, 2007
  6. rmcompute

    PW Guest

    "rmcompute" <> wrote in message
    >I typed http://localhost/Rmtest01/Rmtest.asp where Rmtest01 is the folder
    >and
    > Rmtest.asp is the file, but I still got the message, page not found.
    > Since I
    > have never ran an asp file on this computer, do you know if there is
    > anything
    > else that has to be checked?

    Is the file called rmtest.asp in the folder named
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\rmtest01 ?

    PW, Oct 28, 2007
  7. rmcompute

    rmcompute Guest

    Yes. The htm file runs fine.

    rmcompute, Oct 28, 2007
  8. rmcompute

    rmcompute Guest

    Yes. I also put the file in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ and tried to run as
    http://localhost/Rmtest.asp but it still could not find the file. Could this
    be a security issue?

    rmcompute, Oct 28, 2007
  9. rmcompute

    rmcompute Guest

    I mentioned that it worked with htm but it was when I clicked on it and it
    went to:
    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Rmtest01/RmHTMLtest.htm

    When I typed
    C:\localhost\Rmtest01/RmHTMLtest.htm it failed.

    rmcompute, Oct 28, 2007
  10. No, I am talking about opening your browser and navigating to
    http://localhost/Rmtest01/RmHTMLtest.htm. It is totally irrelevant that it
    runs when clicking it in Explorer, except that it confirms its presence
    under wwwroot. Maybe you indirectly answered that question but I am not
    sure. So again: can you navigate to the html page in your browser by
    entering http://localhost/Rmtest01/RmHTMLtest.htm in the address bar? If
    not, then IIS may not be installed or configured properly.

    You say your machine is running Windows 2000? Can you run the IIS Manager
    applet? Can you see your website in IIS Manager?

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Oct 28, 2007
  11. rmcompute

    rmcompute Guest

    I checked the status of the IIS Admin Service and it is Started. I Right
    clicked it and then clicked on Properties. On the Log On tab I checked Allow
    service to interact with desktop. I checked the Wold Wide Web Publishing
    Service and it has a status of Starting but there is no option available to
    start it. Does it remain as starting? I right clicked it and clicked on
    properties. On the Log On tab I checked Allow service to interact with
    desktop. Where does the system get told that directory http://localhost/
    equates to C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\. I think this may be where the problem is,
    but I could not find where on any of the properties that in either of the
    services where this information could be entered.

    rmcompute, Oct 28, 2007