Cannot create ASP File

rmcompute

I have Windows 2000 and recently included Internet Information Services. I
then created a simple ASP file and clicked on it. The Open With dialog
appears asking me to select a program. I copied an existing ASP file,
test.ASP from another computer where it runs successfully. When I copied it
to my computer it changed to test.ASP auto file. The other computer runs
Windows XP. I am not sure is this is the issue. I verified the IIS is up
and running on my computer. Is there anything that can be done to correct
this?

Ed Stewart

I have Windows 2000 and recently included Internet Information Services. I
then created a simple ASP file and clicked on it. The Open With dialog
appears asking me to select a program. I copied an existing ASP file,
test.ASP from another computer where it runs successfully. When I copied
it
to my computer it changed to test.ASP auto file. The other computer runs
Windows XP. I am not sure is this is the issue. I verified the IIS is up
and running on my computer. Is there anything that can be done to correct
this?

http://www.w3schools.com/asp/asp_intro.asp

Bob Barrows [MVP]

rmcompute said:
I have Windows 2000 and recently included Internet Information
Services. I then created a simple ASP file and clicked on it. The
Open With dialog appears asking me to select a program. I copied an
existing ASP file, test.ASP from another computer where it runs
successfully. When I copied it to my computer it changed to test.ASP
auto file. The other computer runs Windows XP. I am not sure is
this is the issue. I verified the IIS is up and running on my
computer. Is there anything that can be done to correct this?
While the article that Ed cited is good, it seems to assume that one
already knows how to run an asp file.

One cannot run an asp page by double-clicking it in Explorer. One has to
use a browser to request it from a web server, so, the asp file needs to
be put in a folder under inetpub/wwwroot and requested via
http://localhost/foldername/test.asp

rmcompute

I typed http://localhost/Rmtest01/Rmtest.asp where Rmtest01 is the folder and
Rmtest.asp is the file, but I still got the message, page not found. Since I
have never ran an asp file on this computer, do you know if there is anything
else that has to be checked?

PW

rmcompute said:
I typed http://localhost/Rmtest01/Rmtest.asp where Rmtest01 is the folder
and
Rmtest.asp is the file, but I still got the message, page not found.
Since I
have never ran an asp file on this computer, do you know if there is
anything
else that has to be checked?

Is the file called rmtest.asp in the folder named
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\rmtest01 ?

rmcompute

I mentioned that it worked with htm but it was when I clicked on it and it
went to:
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Rmtest01/RmHTMLtest.htm

When I typed
C:\localhost\Rmtest01/RmHTMLtest.htm it failed.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

No, I am talking about opening your browser and navigating to
http://localhost/Rmtest01/RmHTMLtest.htm. It is totally irrelevant that it
runs when clicking it in Explorer, except that it confirms its presence
under wwwroot. Maybe you indirectly answered that question but I am not
sure. So again: can you navigate to the html page in your browser by
entering http://localhost/Rmtest01/RmHTMLtest.htm in the address bar? If
not, then IIS may not be installed or configured properly.

You say your machine is running Windows 2000? Can you run the IIS Manager
applet? Can you see your website in IIS Manager?

rmcompute

I checked the status of the IIS Admin Service and it is Started. I Right
clicked it and then clicked on Properties. On the Log On tab I checked Allow
service to interact with desktop. I checked the Wold Wide Web Publishing
Service and it has a status of Starting but there is no option available to
start it. Does it remain as starting? I right clicked it and clicked on
properties. On the Log On tab I checked Allow service to interact with
desktop. Where does the system get told that directory http://localhost/
equates to C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\. I think this may be where the problem is,
but I could not find where on any of the properties that in either of the
services where this information could be entered.