Cannot enable disabled controls with client-side javascript

Stu Carter

Hi,

I have an aspx page where some controls are initially disabled by the
code-behind 'Page_Load' event. I want these controls to be dynamically
enabled when the user checks a checkbox. Because I don't want a post-back,
I added some javascript to do this

However, using client-side JS, I cannot enable any controls that have been
disabled by server-side code. If the control is initially enabled, I can
disable/enable it client-side.

I'm using the following JS:

document.getElementById("Recursive_chk").disabled = false;

Is this a known problem, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Stuart

Env: Windows 2003, VS. Net 2003, 1.1 Framework, IE 6+

Ahmed Ali

Hi,

I dunno its a better way or not. but i suggest u to make the control disbale
on design time..
input id="cterdate" type="text" maxLength="12" size="20" name="cterdate"
runat="server" disabled

Now you can change the status of the field on page load event on the server
side or onthe client side. that will work ...

Regards

Ahmed

Stu Carter

Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that would work with HTML controls, but I'm trying to enable a disabled
ASP.Net server side control...and thats the problem...

e.g.
<asp:checkbox id="Recursive_chk" style="Z-INDEX: 118; LEFT: 48px; POSITION:
absolute; TOP: 488px" tabIndex="11" runat="server" CssClass="description"
Enabled="False" Text="Recursive">

That checkbox is disabled at design time/code behind, but I can't enable it
using client-side script. And I don't want to revert to using HTML
controls, as its a step backwards. :)

My only other thought is to move the logic for enabling/disabling controls
to the HTML page and have that invoked when the page loads on the client,
but that just sucks!!

Regards,
Stuart

John Saunders

Stu,

How does Recursive_chk render on the client? Could you show us the resulting
HTML?

Stu Carter

John, it renders as:

48px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 488px"><input id="Recursive_chk"
type="checkbox" name="Recursive_chk" disabled="disabled" tabindex="11"

Hmm, is the span taking precedence over the checkbox? ASP.Net emits the

Cheers,
Stu

Stu Carter

Yes, said nail is now bent; it's the bloody <span>!

ASP.Net should not be setting the span to disabled, since it is completely
redundant - the checkbox renders itself disabled...<shakes head>...ASP.Net
is driving me nuts today! :)

Thanks for your help Jon!
Stu

Punisher

I figured it out for ya. Had the same problem

use this

//To Disable
document.getElementById(strHiddenCheckBox).parentElement.setAttribute('disabled','true');

//To Enable
document.getElementById(strHiddenCheckBox).parentElement.removeAttribute('disabled');