can't access file on a remote file server

Guest

I have a problem that has been doggin me for 2 days now.

I have a web app that needs to access files on another server in the same
domain. but nothing that I have tried has allowed the web app access to the
files.

the system is set up as follows:

Server 2: Windows 2000 server contains report files needed by the webapp

Server 1: Window 2003 server
iis server with website
asp.net dll used to access files on server 2

web.config settings are
<authentication
mode="Windows" />
<identity impersonate="true" />

the dll code used to test file access is
Dim strTest As String
strTest = "User Name: " &
System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name() & vbCrLf
strTest = strTest & "File Name: " & strZipFileName & vbCrLf
Dim ofile As File
strTest = strTest & "Exists: " &
ofile.Exists(strZipFileName).ToString() & vbCrLf

the output from the system is
User Name: <domain\user name>
File Name: \\uncpath\file.zip
Exists: False

but the file does exist and when I audit the logons on server 2 I am not
seeing attempts by <domain\user name>. instead NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
is login on to Sever 2 what happened to impersonation? What am I doing wrong?

Bruce Barker

your configuration will not allow network access due to the 1 hop rule. you
will need to change to kerberos and enable creditial forwarding.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

thanks Bruce,

I don't have control over the domain controler and can't switch to kerberos.
I've also tried this configuration with no success.and then I granted read access to domain\server1$.
I can see that the server is being logged on and recognized through the
security audits. but it still can not read the files. Can you think of any
other way to get at remote files? FTP maybe?

Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
How to connect to the file server?

Hi,

I am also facing the same problem as yours. I am trying to open PDF files which resides in a secure file share, I have a user ID and Pwd to access the share which my application can use but I don't know where to put it. If I give it in the identity tag, my whole application stops working!!! ~!@!@#

I have the file name show up in a data grid as a hyperlink and I want to open the respective PDF file from the file share on click of the name of file. Can anybody tell me how I can do it?