Can't assign values to array

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Buddy Ackerman, Dec 18, 2004.

  1. I created a simple class:

    Public Class MyTestClass
    Public Test() As String
    End Class

    I tried to assign some values to the array Test() and display them like this:

    Dim clsTest As New MyTestClass
    Dim r As String

    clsTest.Test.SetValue("First Item", 0)
    clsTest.Test.SetValue("Second Item", 1)
    clsTest.Test.SetValue("Third Item", 2)
    clsTest.Test.SetValue("Fourth Item", 3)
    clsTest.Test.SetValue("Fifth Item", 4)

    For Each r in clsTest.Test
    response.write(r & "<br>")
    Next

    I get an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." exception on
    the line 'clsTest.Test.SetValue("First Item", 0)'.

    I don't understand why. WTF.

    --Buddy
    Buddy Ackerman, Dec 18, 2004

  2. When you get this runtime-error, there is some problem with an object
    reference that is not initialized.
    In your case, the problem is inside your "MyTestClass". The public member
    "Test()" defines a variable that
    refers to an array of strings, but in your code, the array is never
    initialized.
    If you change your code to the listing below, your code should work just
    fine.

    Public Class MyTestClass
    Public Test(4) As String
    End Class

    Hope this helps.
    Tor Bådshaug
    tor.badshaug [//at\\] bekk.no.

    Tor Bådshaug, Dec 18, 2004

  3. That's a little strange because the example that I posted was based on an example class that was autogenerated from the
    SOAP Proxy Class Wizard in WebMatrix. Here is the class:

    <System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeAttribute([Namespace]:="urn:crmondemand/ws/lead/")> _
    Public Class LeadWS_LeadInsert_Input

    '<remarks/>
    <System.Xml.Serialization.XmlArrayAttribute([Namespace]:="urn:/crmondemand/xml/lead"), _
    System.Xml.Serialization.XmlArrayItemAttribute([Namespace]:="urn:/crmondemand/xml/lead", IsNullable:=false)> _
    Public ListOfLead() As Lead1
    End Class

    So, how would you add a lead to the ListOfLead() array?

    --Buddy

    Buddy Ackerman, Dec 18, 2004
  4. There are definitely other options besides the one i mentioned.
    Just make sure that in one way or the other, that the variable references an
    instantiated array object before it is used.
    Public ListOfLead() simply declares it. Using "ListOfLead(4)" instantiates
    the array object (an array with 5 elements - each element is Nothing, but
    the array itself is no longer Nothing).

    So, another approach to your code may be to ensure that the array is
    initialized from outside the class

    clsTest.Test = New String() {"First Item", "Second Item", "Third Item",
    "Fourth Item", "Fifth Item"}

    Analogously I would use code to add a lead to the ListOfLead-array (assuming
    parameter-less constructor of the classes involved).

    Dim leadInput As New LeadWS_LeadInsert_Input
    leadInput.ListOfLead = New Lead1() { new Lead1 }

    If you want to add a new Lead1 object to the array at the end of a current
    array (if an initialized and non-empty array already exists), you will have
    to add some logic to handle that. (However, there are other datastructures
    that
    are more appropriate for this.

    Tor Bådshaug, Dec 18, 2004
  5. Thanks that worked for initializing an array but how do I add to an alrady initialized array? That is going to be what
    I need to do most. Why doesn't System.Array have an append or add method (seems like an obvious need to me)?

    --Buddy

    Buddy Ackerman, Dec 18, 2004
  6. Buddy Ackerman

    Nick Malik Guest

    Hello Buddy,

    If you need to add to an array, why not use an ArrayList type instead. It
    has the methods you seek.

    --- Nick

    Nick Malik, Dec 19, 2004
  7. The class wasn't created by me it was auto generated by the WebServices Proxy Class wizard. I'm just trying to figure
    out how to use it.

    --Buddy

    Buddy Ackerman, Dec 19, 2004