Can't figure out how to open pre existing web service project

Brad Wood

I've reinstalled my operating system and now want to reopen a web
service project.

Here is the URLPath in my project's .webinfo file:
"http://localhost/DriverService/DriverWebService.csproj"

So I create a new virtual directory in IIS, name it "DriverService", and
set it's local path to the directory containing my .csproj (and other
project files). I verified that IIS is working by creating a simple
page in wwwroot and calling http://localhost in a browser.

Then when I open my project I get the "Web Access Failed" error message
reporting "The file path '[path to my project's bin dir]' does not
correspond to the URL 'http://localhost/DriverService'".

So I think I should be pointing the virtual directory to my bin dir, and
I make that change.

Now when I try to open the project I get the error, "Unable to get the
project file from the web server". This makes sense since the paths in
my .csproj and .sln files point to
"localhost/DriverService/DriverWebService.csproj" and there is no such file.

What folder should I point my virtual directory to? BTW, this seems to
have nothing to do with my "web cache" files.