Can't install sqlite3 on Windows XP: Please Help!

John Vajda

I am trying to install ruby on windows with gem sqlite3 version 1.2.3 I
have followed all the instructions here:
http://wiki.devchix.com/index.php?title=Server_2003 and get stuck on the
sqlite install: here is the error I get. Please help! I've looked
everywhere for a solution, but can't resolve it.

C:\Ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\cache> gem install sqlite3-ruby
ERROR: Error installing sqlite3-ruby:

C:/Ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
checking for fdatasync() in rt.lib... no
checking for sqlite3.h... no
C:\Ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\cache> gem install sqlite3-ruby
ERROR: Error installing sqlite3-ruby:

C:/Ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
checking for fdatasync() in rt.lib... no
checking for sqlite3.h... no

*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
--with-opt-dir
--without-opt-dir
--with-opt-include
--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
--with-opt-lib
--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
--with-make-prog
--srcdir=.
--curdir
--ruby=C:/Ruby/bin/ruby
--with-sqlite3-dir
--without-sqlite3-dir
--with-sqlite3-include
--without-sqlite3-include=${sqlite3-dir}/include
--with-sqlite3-lib
--without-sqlite3-lib=${sqlite3-dir}/lib
--with-rtlib
--without-rtlib

my environment information:

C:\Ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\cache>gem env
RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.6
- RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287) [i386-mswin32]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: C:/Ruby/bin/ruby.exe
- EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby/bin
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86-mswin32-60
- GEM PATHS:
- C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- C:/Documents and Settings/jvajda/.gem/ruby/1.8
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources => true
- :verbose => true
- :benchmark => false
- :backtrace => false
- :bulk_threshold => 1000
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- http://rubygems.org/

Richard Conroy

Further updated instructions here:
http://intertwingly.net/blog/2010/02/25/Ruby-Installer-on-Windows

[...]

Luis Lavena

I am trying to install ruby on windows with gem sqlite3 version 1.2.3 I
have followed all the instructions here:http://wiki.devchix.com/index.php?title=Server_2003and get stuck on the
sqlite install: here is the error I get. Please help! I've looked
everywhere for a solution, but can't resolve it.

Sure you looked everywhere?

http://blog.mmediasys.com/2009/07/06/getting-started-with-rails-and-sqlite3/

The DevChix wiki recommend some changes that I would personally not
apply.

C:\Ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\cache> gem install sqlite3-ruby
Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
ERROR:  Error installing sqlite3-ruby:

C:/Ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
checking for fdatasync() in rt.lib... no
checking for sqlite3.h... no

As far as the gem installation error you're receiving, is weird:

* There is a native gem for "i386-mswin32" platform (your ruby
installation) in RubyGems:
http://rubygems.org/gems/sqlite3-ruby/versions/1.2.5-x86-mswin32

Which could be, since you're installing from inside the cache folder,
taking an old version of sqlite3-ruby gem.

Can you try installation OUTSIDE that folder? or remove any sqlite3-
ruby gem that is there.

Somehow in your stripping of info removed the path to the ".out" file
which could have helped to determine the version you're trying to
install.
my environment information:

C:\Ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\cache>gem env
RubyGems Environment:
  - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.6
  - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287) [i386-mswin32]
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - RUBY EXECUTABLE: C:/Ruby/bin/ruby.exe
  - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby/bin
  - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    - ruby
    - x86-mswin32-60
  - GEM PATHS:
     - C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
     - C:/Documents and Settings/jvajda/.gem/ruby/1.8
  - GEM CONFIGURATION:
     - :update_sources => true
     - :verbose => true
     - :benchmark => false
     - :backtrace => false
     - :bulk_threshold => 1000
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     -http://rubygems.org/

I would recommend upgrading to RC2 of RubyInstaller, and moving
forward, move to 1.8.7 as it became the stable and supoorted version
of 1.8 line, while 1.8.6 remains only for legacy support.

John Vajda

Siep said:
Try "gem install amalgalite".

hth,

Siep

ok Thanks! I did this, and installed a few other gems which ruby called
for. Now I get this error:

nmake
'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

any ideas?

John Vajda

I would recommend upgrading to RC2 of RubyInstaller, and moving
forward, move to 1.8.7 as it became the stable and supoorted version
of 1.8 line, while 1.8.6 remains only for legacy support.

Anyway to simply upgrade my ruby env to 1.8.7 and not create all new
ruby directories? Sorry I am new at this :)

John Vajda

ok Thanks! I did this, and got an error when installing amagalite; Now I
get this error:nmake
'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.any ideas?

Luis Lavena

ok Thanks! I did this, and got an error when installing amagalite; Now I
get this error:

nmake
'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.any ideas?

With which gem?

Please provide enough information, even the whole output of your
command will be very helpful.

Also, please see my previous comment: install latest version of
sqlite3-ruby.