Can't see form fields in button click handler postback

Andrew Connell

I have a ASP.NET form with many databound drop down lists and text boxes (all using the asp.net server controls). I've created an update button and a Click handler. I've put a break in and the button click handler (it's an update button) simply can't reference the form objects. However, when i put a break in the page_load event, and add watches to a few of the objects, I can access them. But stepping through the code from page_load into the button handler, i can see the watches go from their value being a reference to the object to being "error: cannot obtain value"

Any ideas what to look for? The syntax looks clean!