Can't use gems

Rod Dik

Hello, I have the following ruby config on my winxp sp3 box

RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.4
- RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2009-03-31 patchlevel 368) [i386-mswin32]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: D:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: D:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe
- EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: D:/ruby/bin
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86-mswin32-60
- GEM PATHS:
- D:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- C:/Documents and Settings/roddik/.gem/ruby/1.8
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources => true
- :verbose => true
- :benchmark => false
- :backtrace => false
- :bulk_threshold => 1000
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- http://gems.rubyforge.org/

and the following gems are installed

D:\>gem list

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

mechanize (0.9.3)
mysql (2.7.3)
nokogiri (1.3.1)

However when I try to use them, I get

D:\>ruby -d ./test.rb
Exception `LoadError' at D:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:1112
- no su
ch file to load -- rubygems/defaults/operating_system
Exception `LoadError' at
D:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.
rb:31 - no such file to load -- mysql
Exception `LoadError' at
D:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.
rb:31 - no such file to load -- mechanize
/test.rb:5: [BUG] Segmentation fault

How can I fix it? TIA

By the way, if anyone who can change the situation here, the latest
one-click installer of ruby available so far ships with very old
patchlevel, which is sad..

Ben Lovell

[...]

Hi,

There is a bug in either mechanize or mysql (I'm not sure which) that
when required together, cause a segfault. There was another post on
this list regarding the exact same issue a day or so ago. Might be
worth looking that up.

Rgds,
Ben

Ben Lovell

[...]

My apologies, it seems as though you posted that previous thread. :)

Rod Dik

Ben said:
Hi,

There is a bug in either mechanize or mysql (I'm not sure which) that
when required together, cause a segfault. There was another post on
this list regarding the exact same issue a day or so ago. Might be
worth looking that up.

Rgds,
Ben

Yeah, that was my post) Actually somehow that time the problem fixed
itself

Rod Dik

the whole story is, I've started developing some app using mechanize and
mysql and over time it started crashing with segfault on some weird
occasions, showing completely usual lines like "a = 'hello'" as the
cause, so I decided to update my ruby patchlevel, one-click installer
ships with some very old build, so I had to delete ruby and install i
from binaries again

Eric Hodel

Yeah, that was my post) Actually somehow that time the problem fixed
itself

Apparently not, since you're asking about it again after requiring the
same two files. Why don't you get a debugger and then a backtrace.
It's hard to help you otherwise.