Canvas vs SVG

Andrew Poulos

The one thing that prevents me from using Canvas (more) is that if I
draw, say, a circle around an element in the page then I can no longer
interact with that element (the Canvas is covering it). I don't think
this is an unreasonable use of Canvas but I think that not being able to
click through a transparent area of a Canvas is.

So for non IE browsers I've been using Walter Zorn's library to draw
shapes on a page and for IE I use VML.

I've not experimented with SVG. Does SVG allow a user to click through a
transparent part of an SVG to a HTML element below it?

Andrew Poulos

SAM

Andrew Poulos a écrit :
The one thing that prevents me from using Canvas (more) is that if I
draw, say, a circle around an element in the page then I can no longer
interact with that element (the Canvas is covering it). I don't think
this is an unreasonable use of Canvas but I think that not being able to
click through a transparent area of a Canvas is.

I've tried with the canvas under the text and links
but it's not too easy with absolute and relative elements to fix
So for non IE browsers I've been using Walter Zorn's library to draw
shapes on a page and for IE I use VML.

I've not experimented with SVG. Does SVG allow a user to click through a
transparent part of an SVG to a HTML element below it?

I don't think so but I think you can have a link or even a JS in your svg
Andrew Poulos

The only way I found to display a SVG was in an xml file ...
ie :
<http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/20061213/svggen/filters-blend-01-b.svg>
embedded in an html page
<http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/20061213/htmlEmbedHarness/basic-filters-blend-01-b.html>

The embed seems to be assimilate with an image.

So to reach a link beside the element 'embed' ...
it is not for today I presume

Perhaps putting this element under (at rear) of the link ?

The svg can also be opened in an object ...
the svg could rescale itself to the object size's (in my Fx or Opera)
depends how it's made (example svg above).

My Safari 2.04 doesn't recognize svg

I got few problems with Opera 9
(object that doesn't scroll its viewport)