Capture mouse events inside an iframe

Venkatesh

Hello All,

I have an iframe in my main html and within iframe, I'm loading another
HTML webpage. In my main html page, I've captured the mouse click
event, by setting the "onclick" for <body> of main page.

The code is like this:

<iframe src="embedded.html">
</iframe>

My problem is that the event handler is not getting called when I do
mouse clicks inside "iframe".

Is there any way to capture the mouse click event inside iframe?

Thank you,
Venkatesh

Bart Van der Donck

Venkatesh said:
I have an iframe in my main html and within iframe, I'm loading another
HTML webpage. In my main html page, I've captured the mouse click
event, by setting the "onclick" for <body> of main page.

The code is like this:

<iframe src="embedded.html">
</iframe>

My problem is that the event handler is not getting called when I do
mouse clicks inside "iframe".
Is there any way to capture the mouse click event inside iframe?

Sure, just do

inside embedded.html.

Venkatesh

Thanks Bart for your suggestion. I can try this.

But I have one more question: Is it possible for us to achieve the same
without modifying the html source of embedded html file ??? Because,
the embedded webpage in my case is not written by me, it is coming from
some external URL and modifying the html source of that URL is little
expensive job for me.

Thank you,
Venkatesh

Venkatesh

Hi,

Just wanted to add. I tried parent.handleClickEvent(event)

I'm getting a javascript error for this. On FireFox, the error message
is:

uncaught exception: Permission denied to get property
window.handleClickEvent

Does anybody have an idea of why is this exception coming? Is this some
security related error? and should we set any browser properties to
overcome this problem?

Thank you,
Venkatesh

RobG

Venkatesh said:

Please don't top-post here. Reply below a trimmed quote.

Just wanted to add. I tried parent.handleClickEvent(event)

I'm getting a javascript error for this. On FireFox, the error message
is:

uncaught exception: Permission denied to get property
window.handleClickEvent

Does anybody have an idea of why is this exception coming? Is this some
security related error? and should we set any browser properties to
overcome this problem?

Google "javascript cross domain security"

[...]
You either change the source of the iFrame or you convince the browser
user to relax their security permissions. Most users will probably
refuse to do so, since allowing a page to access and modify another
page hosted in an iFrame is a rather large security risk - hence the
default setting to prevent cross-domain scripting.