capture video from camera

aljosa

i'm trying to capture video from camera/webcam using python.
so far i haven't found any library that would allow me to do that.

cross-platform solution related to SDL/pygame would be nice but a
simple solution to capture video under windows is ok.

Aljosa Mohorovic

aljosa

i searched on google and found http://videocapture.sourceforge.net/
before i posted here.
videocapture has no docs and doesn't provide additional options like
motion detection nor any info on possibility of motion detection or
howto implement (use of minimal system resources).

i posted here to find out if anybody knows a better way to capture
video.

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?S=E9bastien_Boisg=E9rault?=

aljosa said:
i searched on google and found http://videocapture.sourceforge.net/
before i posted here.
yup.

videocapture has no docs

With the API docs in the ".zip" and the examples provided, you
should be able to handle it.I did :)
and doesn't provide additional options like
motion detection nor any info on possibility of motion detection or
howto implement (use of minimal system resources).

Sure. You may try to use some external lib such as Camellia
(http://camellia.sourceforge.net/). There are (swig-generated)
bindings for Ruby, writing a bridge to python should be
straightforward

By the way, if you want to be cross-platform, you can use pyv4l
as a replacement of videocapture for Linux. Combine this with a
pygame integration and you're done.

Cheers,

SB

aljosa

i had no intention to say that videocapture is bad but it's not what
i'm looking for.
concerning docs, everybody has their own view on how docs should look
like.

that said, i should have written more clearly what i'm looking for.

dan

aljosa said:
i had no intention to say that videocapture is bad but it's not what
i'm looking for.
concerning docs, everybody has their own view on how docs should look
like.

that said, i should have written more clearly what i'm looking for.

Hi aljosa,

I hope you won't be deterred from posting further questions to the
group by Fredrik's somewhat terse and unfriendly reply.

comp.lang.python is a forum generally noted for its pleasing admixture
of erudition and encouragement. Fredrik is uncommonly distinguished in
the scope and depth of his knowledge. He does himself, and the group in
general, an injustice by the intolerance of his response.

With best wishes,

Dan

K.S.Sreeram

dan said:
I hope you won't be deterred from posting further questions to the
group by Fredrik's somewhat terse and unfriendly reply.

comp.lang.python is a forum generally noted for its pleasing admixture
of erudition and encouragement. Fredrik is uncommonly distinguished in
the scope and depth of his knowledge. He does himself, and the group in
general, an injustice by the intolerance of his response.

People need to learn to be precise and to-the-point in their posts. If
not, its a waste of time for a lot of people.. more so for frequent
contributors like fredrik. I hope criticism like yours does not deter him!

dan

K.S.Sreeram said:
People need to learn to be precise and to-the-point in their posts. If
not, its a waste of time for a lot of people.. more so for frequent
contributors like fredrik. I hope criticism like yours does not deter him!
Hi K.S,

People learn through encouragement and appropriate example, not through
criticism...

Best wishes,

Dan