Capturing web camera video stream

Eli

Hello gurus,
Does java have a standard support of web cameras? I'm interested in
capturing the video stream coming from my webcam using J2SE if this is
possible.
Thanks gurus.

Richard Wheeldon

Eli said:
Does java have a standard support of web cameras? I'm interested in
capturing the video stream coming from my webcam using J2SE if this is
possible.

JMF will allow capturing from local cameras. Capturing data from
standalone IP cameras is a different matter,

Richard

Eli

Thanks to you both Edwin and Richard for taking the time to answer.
JMF is a totally new ground to discover in the near future.
Richard, can you throw some more details about how to capture video
streams from IP cameras? Is there anything more than exchanging
TCP/UDP data packets between the PC and the camera, using the
java.net.* package?
Cheers.

Richard Wheeldon

Eli said:
Thanks to you both Edwin and Richard for taking the time to answer.
JMF is a totally new ground to discover in the near future.
Richard, can you throw some more details about how to capture video
streams from IP cameras? Is there anything more than exchanging
TCP/UDP data packets between the PC and the camera, using the
java.net.* package?

Roughly :

Send commands to camera to set bit-rates, frame-rates, etc. On
most cameras, this can be done in advance through a web-interface
on the camera itself. Otherwise it's either a matter of sending
the right commands either by calling cgi/servlets or sending
specific udp messages. These depend on which camera you're using.

Instruct the camera to start sending mpeg video out. The commands
to do this are also camera dependant.

Receive the udp data and reconstruct the mpeg stream.

Pipe this through jmf.

I'm probably going to have to write some code to do this at some
point so if you're willing to collaborate on this I'd be very
interested. Do you have a specific camera you want to talk to ?

Richard

Joined
May 10, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
IP Camera image capture

I've written a library for image capture from IP Cameras called jipCam (http://jipcam.sourceforge.net/) You can use this to register a camera in JMF and then get access to the streamed JPEG images via JMF image buffers. There are examples included in the download. It's all open source.

Good luck,
Jason

Joined
Apr 19, 2010