carriage return/new line comparison

Karthik.S

I have a text area in my webpage where i allow people to format their
data in to multiple paragraphs. I store this data in the database and
display it in a similar textarea to keep the formatting the same.

The javascript i use to construct a xml document of all the changed data
in my webpage compares the data in the textarea to data stored in an xml
data island. Whenever the data has these carriage returns or new line
("\r\n") it always thinks that the data has changed. so

"abcd\r\nefgh" is not equal to "abcd\r\nefgh".....

Any ideas why this may happen.

Regards

Eric Bohlman

I have a text area in my webpage where i allow people to format their
data in to multiple paragraphs. I store this data in the database and
display it in a similar textarea to keep the formatting the same.

The javascript i use to construct a xml document of all the changed data
in my webpage compares the data in the textarea to data stored in an xml
data island. Whenever the data has these carriage returns or new line
("\r\n") it always thinks that the data has changed. so

"abcd\r\nefgh" is not equal to "abcd\r\nefgh".....

Any ideas why this may happen.

XML parsers normally (hehe!) normalize any combination of CR (usually
represented as \r) and LF (usually represented as \n) in text to a single
LF (\n). So your stored data is probably actually "abcd\nefgh". If that's
the problem, removing any \r's from the textarea data should solve it.

Karthik.S

Yep. That did the trick.

Thanks a lot.