Cascaded menus and multi-select CheckBoxList

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by dbuchanan, Jun 4, 2008.

  1. dbuchanan

    dbuchanan Guest

    There are three parts to this

    1.) How do I cascade menus?

    2.) And, how do I cascade menus with a multi-select CheckBoxList?

    3.) How do I default to all? When no items are selected. (I know how to
    detect no box selected . I just don't know how to 'lose' the where statement
    if no list box is selected.)

    Here are the select statements;

    The query for the first menu

    select usr ,grpId

    from tblgrp

    The query for the second menu

    select car, carId

    from tblCars

    where grpI in (@grpId)

    Please answer questions 1, 2 and 3.

    Thank you,

    Doug
    dbuchanan, Jun 4, 2008

  2. Hi Doug,

    Regarding on the questionsa bout the Menu control, I'd like to confirm some
    further things:

    1)As for cascading the menu control, do you mean you want to display data
    via Menu control and make menu items displayed in different layers? If so,
    based on my research, the menu control does support multiple level
    menuitems display. And so far there are several means to populate menu
    items:

    i. use code to programmtically populate the Menu control's Menu items
    collection
    ii. use databindings setting, and a very common approad is supply a xml
    datasource which can map different xml element at different menu level.

    #Populating Menu Control in ASP.NET 2.0 - using different data sources
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/menus/PopulatingMenuControlASP2.aspx

    http://quickstart.developerfusion.co.uk/QuickStart/aspnet/doc/ctrlref/naviga
    tion/menu.aspx

    Also, for your scenario, it quite depend on your datasource(what are the
    original data structure) which will impact how we can associate it with the
    menu control

    2)And, how do I cascade menus with a multi-select CheckBoxList?
    ======================
    I'm still a bit unclear about this, are you using checkboxlist inside menu
    template or would you further clarity how you currrently integrated
    checkboxlist with menu control?

    3)How do I default to all? When no items are selected. (I know how to
    detect no box selected . I just don't know how to 'lose' the where
    statement
    if no list box is selected.)
    ============================
    for this question, I'm wondering how do you currently execute the select
    statement, are you directly execute it via ADO.NET code or use a SQL
    DataSource control?

    *If using ADO.NET code, I think you can explicitly check whether there is
    no item selected and change to use a non-where select statement for that
    case.

    *If you are using SqlDatasource control. One approach I can think is
    putting two different data source control on page(one of them always return
    all the records) and you can programmtically assign the proper one to the
    Menu or databound control(depend on whether there is element selected).

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Jun 5, 2008

  3. dbuchanan

    dbuchanan Guest

    Steven,

    I am sorry, my choice of words was bad. Instead of *menu* I should have said
    *control*.

    What I am trying to do is have the first of two controls filter what is
    displayed in the second control.

    For example if in the first CheckBoxList (multi-select) the user selects
    'NorthEast' and 'SouthWest' regions then the second CheckBoxList
    (multi-select) will display 'Maine', 'New York', 'Nevada' and 'New Mexico'
    but will not display 'Oregon' or 'Florida' becuase they are in the
    'NorthWest' and 'SouthEast" which were not selected in the first
    CheckBoxList.

    1.) How do I have the first control supply the parameters for the second
    control? I am looking for a good explaination because I am new to aspx. A
    link to a very good walk-through - if it is good - would be nice.

    Up to now I had set up my controls by using a SqlDataSource. This time I
    tried to set my control by putting my queries in a tableAdapter insid my
    XSD. While doing this I noticed functionality for setting up parameters. I
    would guess thia is how I would set up one contro to be dependant upon
    another.

    BUT... ( and before setting up parameters)

    I tried to run the project to see the controls populate. Instead it crashed
    with the error below.

    2.) What could I have done wrong?

    Thank you,
    Doug

    === starr of error ==============

    to an instance of an object.

    Source Error:

    Line 931: this.Adapter.SelectCommand = this.CommandCollection[0];
    Line 932: if ((this.ClearBeforeFill == true)) {
    Line 933: dataTable.Clear();
    Line 934: }
    Line 935: int returnValue = this.Adapter.Fill(dataTable);

    Source File: c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\websiterlftirekingdomcoursecompletionreport\7697443b\2ec251ca\App_Code.9o1brfaa.0.cs
    Line: 933

    Stack Trace:

    object.]
    ControlsDataSetTableAdapters.CourseGroupsTableAdapter.FillSelectCourseGroups(CourseGroupsDataTable
    dataTable) in c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary
    ASP.NET
    Files\websiterlftirekingdomcoursecompletionreport\7697443b\2ec251ca\App_Code.9o1brfaa.0.cs:933

    [TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an
    invocation.]
    System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[]
    arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes,
    RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) +0
    System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[]
    arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes,
    RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) +72
    System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags
    invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean
    skipVisibilityChecks) +358
    System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags
    invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) +29
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters) +17
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ObjectDataSourceView.InvokeMethod(ObjectDataSourceMethod
    method, Boolean disposeInstance, Object& instance) +676
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ObjectDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments
    arguments) +2664
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ListControl.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +65
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ListControl.PerformSelect() +32
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind() +99
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.EnsureDataBound() +92
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)
    +33
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ListControl.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +31
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.CheckBoxList.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +38
    includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +4436

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.832; ASP.NET
    Version:2.0.50727.832
    === end of error ==============
    dbuchanan, Jun 5, 2008
  4. Hi Doug,

    If you're not quite familar with ASP.NET Data Access and DataBound control
    model, I suggest you have a look at the Data Access tutorial on ASP.NET
    official site:

    #Data Access Tutorials
    http://www.asp.net/learn/data-access/

    the tutorial contains many very good and typical samples.

    Also, for your scenario, since your second control's datasource(result set)
    will rely on the first control(checkboxlist's selected items). I would
    suggest you manually use code to check all the selected items in the first
    CheckBoxList control e.g.

    ============
    foreach (ListItem item in CheckBoxList1.Items)
    {
    if(item.Selected == true)
    //append to query parameter
    }
    ============

    After that, you also programmtically use ADO.NET SqlCommand to execute
    command and get the DataReader or DataSet and bind it to DataGrid/Gridview
    control. How do you think?

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    --------------------
    >From: "dbuchanan" <>

    <g5z#>

    -----

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Jun 6, 2008
  5. Hi Doug,

    Have you got any progress or does my further suggetion help you some?

    Please feel free to let me know if there is anything else we can help.

    -

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Jun 10, 2008
  6. dbuchanan

    dbuchanan Guest