cascading python executions only if return code is 0

Roy Smith

Dennis Lee Bieber said:
Especially likely when one considers that M$ Windows only does a time
synch once a week.

When I attempt to reason about what is possible and what is impossible
in a program, I assume a sane universe. Windows violates that
assumption. I am not responsible for what happens after that.

People complain that Python 3 has been out for 5 years and the world is
still dragging its feet upgrading from Python 2. NTP has been around
for almost 30 years.

Keeping a bunch of clocks on a network in sync is a solved problem. The
world really needs to move on to new problems like how to deal with more
than 2^32 devices on a network. Or how to deal with languages where 26
letters isn't enough.

Rustom Mody

When I attempt to reason about what is possible and what is impossible
in a program, I assume a sane universe.

Hmm...
Any clues for a pathway to this alternate universe?
:D

Chris Angelico

Keeping a bunch of clocks on a network in sync is a solved problem. The
world really needs to move on to new problems like how to deal with more
than 2^32 devices on a network. Or how to deal with languages where 26
letters isn't enough.

*clap* Very tidy, finding two examples that were both solved in 1996. I like.

ChrisA

pecore

Roy Smith said:
Or how to deal with languages where 26 letters isn't enough.

English! that is, imvho
English is in sore need
of some more letters[*]
and of diacriticals too
[*] unable to quantify!

Gene Heskett

Roy Smith said:
Or how to deal with languages where 26 letters isn't enough.

English! that is, imvho
English is in sore need
of some more letters[*]
and of diacriticals too
[*] unable to quantify!

You know, this gentleman is indeed correct. But since that is all I have
ever been speaking/reading/writing for almost 80 years, please have the
courtesy of waiting to extend the character set and grammatical rules until
after I've passed.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

If one studies too zealously, one easily loses his pants.
-- A. Einstein.
law-abiding citizens.

Grant Edwards

How about this one, that I wrote yesterday;

assert second >= self.current_second, "time went backwards"

I think that's pretty high up on the "can never happen" list.

It's not that high (depending on where you're getting "second" from).
If the "second" is from the time of day, and the NTP daemon (or the
system admin) decides the clock needs a stepwise adjustment, the time
of day can go backwards.