CDO + Cookies

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by surf_doggie, Jun 13, 2006.

  1. surf_doggie

    surf_doggie Guest

    I found that a number of my sites that send email using CDO failed
    withing the past 30 days. Consider the following. I know its not the
    best coding practice to open and close the connection so many times but
    Im curious why this would all of a sudden become an issue.

    1. Have a few large sites essentially all variables such as SMTP server
    are set using cookies so I can deploy multiple sites quickly.

    2. Within the site email appears to work correctly across all pages
    with 1 exception.

    3. The exception is below, Im wondering if it has to do with cookies
    having to be retrieved multiple times from the client machine

    --Call db run search loop data build array
    --Based on data in array call another search alter and finalize array
    --Do while <= uBound(myArray)
    --Call Email sub (from,to,sub,body) ' Sub contains a request
    cookies for SMTP server.
    --Loop

    Doesnt matter if its 2 or 50 emails always fails when using
    request.cookies to set the SMTP in the sub. Works fine if I hard code
    the IP. This same sub is used multiple times throughout the website and
    works fine with cookies.

    Just curious why it needs might need to be hard coded in the loop. Has
    been running for about 6 months fine and have recently started noticing
    failures.

    Thanks,
    Earl

    surf_doggie, Jun 13, 2006

  2. surf_doggie

    Mike Brind Guest

    surf_doggie wrote:
    > I found that a number of my sites that send email using CDO failed
    > withing the past 30 days. Consider the following. I know its not the
    > best coding practice to open and close the connection so many times but
    > Im curious why this would all of a sudden become an issue.
    >
    > 1. Have a few large sites essentially all variables such as SMTP server
    > are set using cookies so I can deploy multiple sites quickly.
    >
    > 2. Within the site email appears to work correctly across all pages
    > with 1 exception.
    >
    > 3. The exception is below, Im wondering if it has to do with cookies
    > having to be retrieved multiple times from the client machine
    >
    > --Call db run search loop data build array
    > --Based on data in array call another search alter and finalize array
    > --Do while <= uBound(myArray)
    > --Call Email sub (from,to,sub,body) ' Sub contains a request
    > cookies for SMTP server.
    > --Loop
    >
    > Doesnt matter if its 2 or 50 emails always fails when using
    > request.cookies to set the SMTP in the sub. Works fine if I hard code
    > the IP. This same sub is used multiple times throughout the website and
    > works fine with cookies.

    I'm confused - it either works with cookies or it doesn't.

    > Just curious why it needs might need to be hard coded in the loop. Has
    > been running for about 6 months fine and have recently started noticing
    > failures.

    You should never rely on storing info like this in cookies. People
    delete them, and your application depends on them. Application level
    information should be stored on the server - application
    variables/db/xml/etc...

    Have you checked to see if the cookie exists?

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Jun 13, 2006

  3. surf_doggie

    surf_doggie Guest

    > I'm confused - it either works with cookies or it doesn't.
    >

    > > Just curious why it needs might need to be hard coded in the loop. Has
    > > been running for about 6 months fine and have recently started noticing
    > > failures.

    > You should never rely on storing info like this in cookies. People
    > delete them, and your application depends on them. Application level
    > information should be stored on the server - application
    > variables/db/xml/etc...
    >
    > Have you checked to see if the cookie exists?
    >
    > --
    > Mike Brind

    Hey Mike Ive seen your posts I respect your opinion. Please let me
    clarify.

    1. I agree either it works or it doesnt. Thats why I dont understand.
    2. I only store the cookies on the client machine for the session when
    they close their browser the cookies are gone. These are not
    application level cookies just plain jane.

    consider this I have 100 webpages.
    <!-- some include file with cookies that expire when you close browser
    (mailhost included)>
    -->You have successfully logged in mailhost cookie is set.

    On about 50 of those pages if you want to send and individual
    email it calls
    --call SendMail(efrom,eto,subject,body)

    Works great for an email or 2.

    This may be where the rub is at Mike.

    Now every night I had scheduled a bat file to run and send multiple
    emails from a db. Failed mail couldnt be sent. At first I thought it
    was the permissions on the bat file or the permissions the AT Scheduler
    from windows was using but when I went to the url from my browser it
    died with smtp errors.

    I did trouble shooting for a month. When I hard coded the url it
    worked... O YES the connection for the cookies was in the loop file
    because I did a response.write to make sure the smtp server was correct
    in the loop file before I hard coded the IP of the SMTP server.

    Now Im just curious I have the solution, I agree either it works or it
    doesnt but why does it work sometimes? Is it because the loop cant grab
    the request.cookies off the client machine fast enough to keep up with
    what the CDO needs for the SMTP server config?

    These sites had been working up until about 1 to 3 months ago for a
    year and started cascade failing on the CDO. Once I figured to hard
    code the IP instead of cookies alls well.

    Thanks for your time.
    Earl

    surf_doggie, Jun 17, 2006
  4. surf_doggie

    surf_doggie Guest

    Sorry forgot to point out all of the emails are based off of the same
    function

    surf_doggie, Jun 17, 2006
  5. surf_doggie

    surf_doggie Guest

    Sorry would also like to point out its on multiple web servers in
    multiple networks.

    Mike if you want to see a demo Ill set up a webex

    Earl

    surf_doggie, Jun 17, 2006