Center of Contour

Speed

Hi,

Could you please tell me what is the most efficient way of finding the
center of mass of the area enclosed by a closed contour.

I have a considerable circular region with streaks coming out of it in
either direction. Basically i want to find the center of the circular
region but it is getting offset due to the presence of connected
outlier segments.

I am working with binary images only.

Thanks a ton,
Soumyadip.

Victor Bazarov

Speed said:
Could you please tell me what is the most efficient way of finding the
center of mass of the area enclosed by a closed contour.

Uh... What's the *C++ language* question here, again?
I have a considerable circular region with streaks coming out of it in
either direction. Basically i want to find the center of the circular
region but it is getting offset due to the presence of connected
outlier segments.

I am working with binary images only.

Good for you. Now, find a better place to ask your math question. I
can recommend to start in 'sci.math' newsgroup hierarchy.

Robbie Hatley

Speed said:
Could you please tell me what is the most efficient way of finding the
center of mass of the area enclosed by a closed contour.

As Victor mentioned, "sci.math" would be a good place to ask.

Also look-up "center of mass" in a calculus textbook.

Also try asking general programming and algorithm questions in
the "comp.programming" newsgroup.

Also try running the following search on www.google.com :

"center of mass" algorithm

Once you have an algorithm, and have implimented it in C++, if you
have problems with it, come back here and paste your code and ask
your C++ language questions here. :)

--
Cheers,
Robbie Hatley

Mark P

Speed said:
Hi,

Could you please tell me what is the most efficient way of finding the
center of mass of the area enclosed by a closed contour.

I have a considerable circular region with streaks coming out of it in
either direction. Basically i want to find the center of the circular
region but it is getting offset due to the presence of connected
outlier segments.

I am working with binary images only.

Thanks a ton,
Soumyadip.

If you have the contour then you can find the COM by integrating over
the boundary.