    takes up 100% width. That's a bad idea because the font size may vary, and
    there can be dynamic content in the box anyway. What element will
    automatically wrap to minimum width like a table?

    Ryan Stewart, Feb 21, 2004

  2. Ryan Stewart

    DU Guest

    Ryan Stewart wrote:

    > I'm tinkering with the whole tableless layout idea, but can't even figure a
    > good way to get a basic centered box on the screen. How do you do this
    > without a table:
    > #333399;">
    > Some table content.
    >
    > If you use a div, you have to specify a width, else it's a block element and
    > takes up 100% width. That's a bad idea because the font size may vary, and
    > there can be dynamic content in the box anyway. What element will
    > automatically wrap to minimum width like a table?

    Then do not specify a width with absolute length units but with relative
    length units: either % (best IMO, most of the time) or em. It's
    impossible to make any other suggestion without the ability to actually
    examine your markup code, without understanding your webpage
    requirements, etc...

    DU

    DU, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Ryan Stewart

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "DU" <> wrote in message
    > Ryan Stewart wrote:
    >
    > > I'm tinkering with the whole tableless layout idea, but can't even

    figure a
    > > good way to get a basic centered box on the screen. How do you do this
    > > without a table:
    > > #333399;">
    > > Some table content.
    > >
    > > If you use a div, you have to specify a width, else it's a block element

    and
    > > takes up 100% width. That's a bad idea because the font size may vary,

    and
    > > there can be dynamic content in the box anyway. What element will
    > > automatically wrap to minimum width like a table?
    > >

    > Then do not specify a width with absolute length units but with relative
    > length units: either % (best IMO, most of the time) or em. It's
    > impossible to make any other suggestion without the ability to actually
    > examine your markup code, without understanding your webpage
    > requirements, etc...
    >
    > DU

    Regardless of the units you use, you're still guessing at the width. I don't
    have any code right now. I'm just trying to figure out how to do this. As
    for requirements, I want something that acts just like that table: something
    on which the width is automatically adjusted to the bounds of the widest
    thing in it and can be positioned in line with other content if necessary
    (slap a "display: inline" on it, and you're good to go; try that with a div,
    and your borders go all over, especially with multi-line content). I'm
    looking for something that can be used as a container for things like a
    login form, simple message box, possibly something like a viewing pane, etc.

    Ryan Stewart, Feb 21, 2004
  4. Ryan Stewart

    Chet Guest

    "Ryan Stewart" <> wrote in message
    | I'm tinkering with the whole tableless layout idea, but can't
    even figure a
    | good way to get a basic centered box on the screen. How do you
    do this
    | without a table:
    2px solid
    | #333399;">
    | Some table content.
    |
    | If you use a div, you have to specify a width, else it's a
    block element and
    | takes up 100% width. That's a bad idea because the font size
    may vary, and
    | there can be dynamic content in the box anyway. What element
    will
    | automatically wrap to minimum width like a table?

    Hi Ryan,

    I've have a few samples that might help you, check out #2, 3 and
    4. Then following the links to right or left column. These will
    have a single column, right or left, I think two with fixed
    widths and 1 set to %'s. This will hopefully give you an idea of
    how to start your layout.

    http://webpages.charter.net/rwtest/samples/index.htm

    hth
    --
    Chet
    (remove NO.....SPAM)

    Chet, Feb 21, 2004
  5. Ryan Stewart

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "Chet" <> wrote in message

    > "Ryan Stewart" <> wrote in message
    > | I'm tinkering with the whole tableless layout idea, but can't
    > even figure a
    > | good way to get a basic centered box on the screen. How do you
    > do this
    > | without a table:
    > 2px solid
    > | #333399;">
    > | Some table content.
    > |
    > | If you use a div, you have to specify a width, else it's a
    > block element and
    > | takes up 100% width. That's a bad idea because the font size
    > may vary, and
    > | there can be dynamic content in the box anyway. What element
    > will
    > | automatically wrap to minimum width like a table?
    > |

    > Hi Ryan,
    >
    > I've have a few samples that might help you, check out #2, 3 and
    > 4. Then following the links to right or left column. These will
    > have a single column, right or left, I think two with fixed
    > widths and 1 set to %'s. This will hopefully give you an idea of
    > how to start your layout.
    >
    > http://webpages.charter.net/rwtest/samples/index.htm
    >
    > hth
    > --
    > Chet
    > (remove NO.....SPAM)

    Those are very nicely done. I'll definitely spend a good bit of time
    studying them. Thanks much.

    Ryan Stewart, Feb 21, 2004
  6. Ryan Stewart

    | Those are very nicely done. I'll definitely spend a good bit of
    time
    | studying them. Thanks much.

    You can e-mail me off the group should you have any specific
    questions.

    --
    Chet
    (remove NO.....SPAM)

    Chet, Feb 21, 2004
  7. Ryan Stewart

    DU Guest

    Ryan Stewart wrote:
    > "DU" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ryan Stewart wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm tinkering with the whole tableless layout idea, but can't even

    > figure a
    >
    >>>good way to get a basic centered box on the screen. How do you do this
    >>>without a table:
    >>>#333399;">
    >>> Some table content.
    >>>
    >>>If you use a div, you have to specify a width, else it's a block element

    > and
    >
    >>>takes up 100% width. That's a bad idea because the font size may vary,

    > and
    >
    >>>there can be dynamic content in the box anyway. What element will
    >>>automatically wrap to minimum width like a table?
    >>>

    >>Then do not specify a width with absolute length units but with relative
    >>length units: either % (best IMO, most of the time) or em. It's
    >>impossible to make any other suggestion without the ability to actually
    >>examine your markup code, without understanding your webpage
    >>requirements, etc...
    >>
    >>DU

    > Regardless of the units you use, you're still guessing at the width.

    No. If width is declared 30% of its parent, then how can you tell that
    I'm guessing the width? Because I've no idea how this will translate and
    I have no idea how the DOM tree of nodes is arranged. 30% could be 200px
    on a 640x480 and it could be 300px on a 1024x768 scr. res. This also
    depends on the DOM tree containment hierarchy and how width is declared
    for node containers.

    I don't
    > have any code right now.

    Then it's impossible to suggest something concrete regarding your
    webpage situation, webpage context, webpage (specification) requirements.

    I'm just trying to figure out how to do this. As
    > for requirements, I want something that acts just like that table

    Just like which table exactly? Where is that table exactly? Google.com
    has indexed over 10 billions webpages: now this table is in which
    webpage? Can you understand my perspective here?

    The more posters speak in general terms, abstract terms, without any
    specifics, it become increasingly much more difficult to suggest anything.

    : something
    > on which the width is automatically adjusted to the bounds of the widest
    > thing in it

    something inside another thing happening in a page that has no code when
    it displays in a browser on a os. See what I mean?

    and can be positioned in line with other content

    other content <sigh>

    if necessary
    > (slap a "display: inline" on it, and you're good to go; try that with a div,
    > and your borders go all over, especially with multi-line content). I'm
    > looking for something that can be used as a container for things like a
    > login form, simple message box, possibly something like a viewing pane, etc.

    When you'll be able to post something about that thing regarding what
    you see, maybe someone will post something else about that... See what I
    mean?

    DU

    DU, Feb 21, 2004
  8. Ryan Stewart

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "DU" <> wrote in message
    > Ryan Stewart wrote:
    > > "DU" <> wrote in message

    > > figure a

    element

    > > and

    > > and

    > >>Then do not specify a width with absolute length units but with relative
    > >>length units: either % (best IMO, most of the time) or em. It's
    > >>impossible to make any other suggestion without the ability to actually
    > >>examine your markup code, without understanding your webpage
    > >>requirements, etc...
    > >>
    > >>DU

    > > Regardless of the units you use, you're still guessing at the width.

    > No. If width is declared 30% of its parent, then how can you tell that
    > I'm guessing the width?

    Because how do you know the contents won't need 40% of the width? I'm
    talking dynamic content here.

    > I'm just trying to figure out how to do this. As
    > > for requirements, I want something that acts just like that table

    > Just like which table exactly? Where is that table exactly? Google.com
    > has indexed over 10 billions webpages: now this table is in which
    > webpage? Can you understand my perspective here?

    The table I posted from the very beginning! The one that's still quoted in
    this reply!

    *snip the rest*
    I'm getting the impression that either you are being difficult or you are as
    intelligent as a trout. Judging from your multitude of other posts to this
    and other newsgroups, I highly suspect that it's the former. Therefore, I'll
    try one more time. Here's a complete page:

    <head>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
    CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
    <title>A page with little content</title>
    </head>
    border: 2px solid #333399;">
    Some table content.

    If you take the time to see what it looks like in a browser, you'll see the
    text "Some table content." inside a blue rectangle centered horizontally on
    the screen. My question is simply: how can I achieve an identical appearance
    without using a table? The stipulation is that the text within it may change
    in length, though not drastically. Therefore, the width of the container
    should be dynamic based on its contents.

    Ryan Stewart, Feb 21, 2004
  9. Ryan Stewart wrote:

    ><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    > <head>
    > <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
    > CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
    > <title>A page with little content</title>
    > </head>
    > border: 2px solid #333399;">
    > Some table content.

    This code works in Gecko rendering engines and Opera (Probably Safari
    too but I don't have a mac). Fails in WinIE.

    <head>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
    CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
    <title>A page with little content</title>
    #centeredDiv {
    display: table;
    margin: 0px auto 0px auto;
    padding: 15px 30px;
    border: 2px solid #333399;
    }
    </head>
    border: 2px solid #333399;">
    Some table content.

    Neil Marshall, Feb 21, 2004
  10. Ryan Stewart

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "Neil Marshall" <> wrote in message
    > This code works in Gecko rendering engines and Opera (Probably Safari
    > too but I don't have a mac). Fails in WinIE.

    > <head>
    > <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
    > CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
    > <title>A page with little content</title>
    > #centeredDiv {
    > display: table;
    > margin: 0px auto 0px auto;
    > padding: 15px 30px;
    > border: 2px solid #333399;
    > }
    > </head>
    > border: 2px solid #333399;">
    > Some table content.

    Great! Looks like the "display: table" is exactly what I was looking for.
    Looking at the spec, it makes the element behave like a table? So what do
    the adamant anti-table-layout-ists say about it? How would you suggest
    fudging it to make it also compatible with IE? Or would that be too much of
    a mess?

    Ryan Stewart, Feb 22, 2004
  11. Ryan Stewart wrote:

    >"Neil Marshall" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>This code works in Gecko rendering engines and Opera (Probably Safari
    >>too but I don't have a mac). Fails in WinIE.
    >>
    >><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    >> <head>
    >> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
    >> CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
    >> <title>A page with little content</title>
    >> #centeredDiv {
    >> display: table;
    >> margin: 0px auto 0px auto;
    >> padding: 15px 30px;
    >> border: 2px solid #333399;
    >> }
    >> </head>
    >> border: 2px solid #333399;">
    >> Some table content.
    >>

    >Great! Looks like the "display: table" is exactly what I was looking for.
    >Looking at the spec, it makes the element behave like a table? So what do
    >the adamant anti-table-layout-ists say about it? How would you suggest
    >fudging it to make it also compatible with IE? Or would that be too much of
    >a mess?

    Yeah, it makes it resize like a table, but without the semantic markup
    of a table.
    As for getting it to work in IE? I'm not sure it's possible. There may
    be some obscure way, but you should bug Microsoft about it I guess. Not
    like I think they'd listen though.

    Neil Marshall, Feb 22, 2004
  12. Neil Marshall wrote:

    > Ryan Stewart wrote:
    >
    >> "Neil Marshall" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> This code works in Gecko rendering engines and Opera (Probably
    >>> Safari too but I don't have a mac). Fails in WinIE.
    >>>
    >>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    >>> <head>
    >>> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
    >>> CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
    >>> <title>A page with little content</title>
    >>> #centeredDiv {
    >>> display: table;
    >>> margin: 0px auto 0px auto;
    >>> padding: 15px 30px;
    >>> border: 2px solid #333399;
    >>> }
    >>> </head>
    >>> border: 2px solid #333399;">
    >>> Some table content.
    >>>

    >> Great! Looks like the "display: table" is exactly what I was looking
    >> for. Looking at the spec, it makes the element behave like a table?
    >> So what do the adamant anti-table-layout-ists say about it? How
    >> would you suggest fudging it to make it also compatible with IE? Or
    >> would that be too much of a mess?
    >>

    > Yeah, it makes it resize like a table, but without the semantic markup
    > of a table.
    > As for getting it to work in IE? I'm not sure it's possible. There
    > may be some obscure way, but you should bug Microsoft about it I
    > guess. Not like I think they'd listen though.

    just checked with IE - it works fine.
    Try this:

    <head>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
    CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
    <title>A page with little content</title>
    #centeredDiv {
    display: table;
    text-align: center;
    margin: 50px 400px 50px 400px;
    padding: 15px 30px;
    border: 2px solid #333399;
    }
    </head>
    border: 2px solid #333399;">
    Some table content.

    Mike

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.majaeger.de

    Michael Jaeger, Feb 22, 2004
  13. Michael Jaeger wrote:

    >Neil Marshall wrote:
    >

    >>Ryan Stewart wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Neil Marshall" <> wrote in message

    >>>Great! Looks like the "display: table" is exactly what I was looking
    >>>for. Looking at the spec, it makes the element behave like a table?
    >>>So what do the adamant anti-table-layout-ists say about it? How
    >>>would you suggest fudging it to make it also compatible with IE? Or
    >>>would that be too much of a mess?
    >>>

    >>Yeah, it makes it resize like a table, but without the semantic markup
    >>of a table.
    >>As for getting it to work in IE? I'm not sure it's possible. There
    >>may be some obscure way, but you should bug Microsoft about it I
    >>guess. Not like I think they'd listen though.
    >>

    >just checked with IE - it works fine.

    What version of IE are you using? It's both equally messed up here in
    Mozilla and IE with your code. Remove the margins, and it goes back to
    busted again in IE... except the text is now centered..

    Neil Marshall, Feb 23, 2004
  14. Neil Marshall wrote:

    > Michael Jaeger wrote:
    >
    >> Neil Marshall wrote:

    >>> Yeah, it makes it resize like a table, but without the semantic
    >>> markup of a table.
    >>> As for getting it to work in IE? I'm not sure it's possible. There
    >>> may be some obscure way, but you should bug Microsoft about it I
    >>> guess. Not like I think they'd listen though.
    >>>

    >> just checked with IE - it works fine.
    >>

    > What version of IE are you using? It's both equally messed up here in
    > Mozilla and IE with your code. Remove the margins, and it goes back
    > to busted again in IE... except the text is now centered..

    I run IE 6.01 (all patches installed) and it works fine. However, I have
    to admit that it looks bad in Netscape 7.1 and Opera 7.11.

    So, we may have to look at the problem from a different angle, too.

    Mike

    --
    http://www.majaeger.de

    Michael Jaeger, Feb 23, 2004