    I am looking for skills testing in general rather than any company's
    web authoring tool proficiency in particular.

    , Sep 7, 2006

  2. cwdjrxyz Guest

    wrote:
    > Does any company or organisation provide exams with the purpose of
    > certification / qualification in web authoring technologies such as
    > HTML, CSS, Javascript? Ten years ago I took a series of (computer
    > based) Microsoft Certified Professional exams which were quite good
    > fun, eventually achieving MCSE status. Since I am spending time
    > learning writing web pages it might be nice to do an exam in it.
    >
    > I am looking for skills testing in general rather than any company's
    > web authoring tool proficiency in particular.

    I don't know where you live. Where I live in the central US anyone can
    set up shop to write web pages for hire without exams. However you have
    to pass an exam to be a barber or a member of several trades. Things
    may be different elsewhere. A degree in computer science from a
    university with a good reputation would help establish one's
    qualifications, but that is more training than some who write web pages
    may need. You may also use the W3C validators for HTML and CSS, and if
    the page fully validates, you may use a W3C icon that so indicates. Of
    course a page may validate fully, but the layout or subject matter of
    the page still can be an awful mess. Some vocational technical schools
    that teach various computer skill subjects likely will provide some
    documentation if you pass their course. But I can not think of a place
    where you can go to take a test to certify that you meet certain
    standards in writing certain types of web page code.

    cwdjrxyz, Sep 8, 2006

  3. Andy Dingley Guest

    wrote:

    > Does any company or organisation provide exams with the purpose of
    > certification / qualification in web authoring technologies such as
    > HTML, CSS, Javascript?

    No, or at least not credibly. Lots of cowboys though.

    So far, the quality of such schemes has been so poor that they've
    either been ignored by the clueful, or actually seen as a negative
    attribute for a candidate. Certainly anyone who _thinks_ that their CIW
    qualification is meaningful is certainly clueless.

    CIW is the best of the bunch, and the widest known. It's still an
    extremely low standard though, really just not worth bothering about.

    Andy Dingley, Sep 8, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > Does any company or organisation provide exams with the purpose of
    > certification / qualification in web authoring technologies such as
    > HTML, CSS, Javascript?

    I know w3schools.org host some online exams - I haven't tried them, however.
    Brendan

    Brendan Gillatt, Sep 8, 2006
  5. Kat Guest

    wrote:
    > Does any company or organisation provide exams with the purpose of
    > certification / qualification in web authoring technologies such as
    > HTML, CSS, Javascript? Ten years ago I took a series of (computer
    > based) Microsoft Certified Professional exams which were quite good
    > fun, eventually achieving MCSE status. Since I am spending time
    > learning writing web pages it might be nice to do an exam in it.
    >
    > I am looking for skills testing in general rather than any company's
    > web authoring tool proficiency in particular.

    I don't know if these companies are still running but I list them for
    you anyway.

    Here is one:
    http://www.webprofessionals.org/education/

    Here is another:
    http://www.ciwcertified.com/certifications/program.asp?comm=CND&llm=3

    Macromedia have certifications available and there is a PHP certification.

    Hope that helps,

    Kat

    Kat, Sep 9, 2006
  6. <> wrote in message
    > Does any company or organisation provide exams with the purpose of
    > certification / qualification in web authoring technologies such as
    > HTML, CSS, Javascript? Ten years ago I took a series of (computer
    > based) Microsoft Certified Professional exams which were quite good
    > fun, eventually achieving MCSE status. Since I am spending time
    > learning writing web pages it might be nice to do an exam in it.
    >
    > I am looking for skills testing in general rather than any company's
    > web authoring tool proficiency in particular.

    If the tool is any good, it conforms to GUI standards (You know; New, Save,
    Open, Close, Print, Preview, Upload, etc. go on the File Menu, while Undo,
    Redo, Cut, Copy, Paste, Paste Special, etc. go on the Edit Menu) and you
    won't need lessons. Remember this if you find yourself continually looking
    up how to do things in the Help files when you are trialling a tool.

    Forget IT certification. Publish a well ordered, well-ranked site on a
    relevant topic or collection of topics. Show a several different layouts and
    compositions by site area or by way of example, and make sure that every
    single page on the site is validated for both HTML and CSS with
    www.w3c.org, then validated for accessibility. Badge the site with test
    links to the online validation tools and this is better than anything a
    certification can say about the skills you can bring to a project.

    <RANT>
    In my day certification meant that the Men in White were coming to collect
    you, to take you away to a nice clean soft room, with your own personal
    canvas jacket, and all the right medications. These days, they just give you
    a piece of paper and shoot you the next time you are seen picking up a piece
    of cutlery in public! BANG! BANG!, "Drop the teaspoon or I'll shoot!"
    :^)

    Seriously, the problem with wrote learning systems such as certification
    programs is that they teach you to do things in a certain way. While this is
    good in the context of teamwork, it inhibits lateral thinking and
    discourages participants from asking the most important engineering
    question, "Is there a better way?" Take a look at the vast majority of web
    sites built around the world. Where there is fixed branding, you most often
    find frames. Where there are menus, you most often find slow obsolete Java
    Scripts and Applets. Where there is consistent layout you more often find
    the pages structured by tables with styles written individually to every
    page on the site! The "experts" more often use applications that produce
    incorrect HTML, and they use the wrong techniques. Such drips under pressure
    seem not to think far enough outside the box to question the utter garbage
    they were taught at university about the rose-tainted world of the Internet,
    where it is purported that there is no crime to discourage trust and all
    user agents (eg. browsers) conform to a single SGML standard. Ughh, that's
    not even funny! :^P
    </RANT>

    Like I said, do some interesting and stylish things with the view to both
    function and aesthetics, especially when your site is listed on the
    browser's "Restricted Sites" list, and let your work speak for you to
    everyone. It is after all, on display to the entire world and especially to
    your customers...

    --
    Timothy Casey GPEMC! >> 11950 is the 2email
    Terms & conditions apply. See www.fieldcraft.biz/GPEMC

    Number 11950 - GPEMC! Replace number with 11950, Sep 10, 2006