CGI and multipart data

Martin Hart

Hi all,

I have a single HTML form which contains simple text controls as well as file
upload controls. I had assumed that the CGI library would return me items of
type String for the text boxes and items of type Tempfile for the file upload
boxes....

However, it appears (after searching the archives) that StringIO is used
instead of Tempfile on ruby 1.8 (in some cases and not others?), and that as
soon as you specify an enctype of multipart you never? receive Strings but
always receive either Tempfile or StringIO.

This is what i really want from the CGI library:
* CGI returns *everything* as a string except for file uploads - which are
returned as Tempfiles

Assuming that I cannot have that :) can somebody in the know please tell me
(or point me to some documentation)...

1. how can I tell whether or not the supplied parameter was a file upload or
simple text that has been passed to me as a Tempfile/StringIO? At the moment
I don't know whether to copy the file or not - because I don't know if it is
a valid file or just another parameter.

2. do hidden controls work with multi-part forms? there is some discussion of
them not working on the mailing list dating back to last November but I don't
know if that has been fixed or not. My limited testing here indicates that
hidden parameters are ignored on multipart forms?

3. why are all values expressed as Tempfile/StringIO when using a multipart
form? Why not just have the file uploads as tempfiles?

4. how does the CGI library determine whether or not to switch between
Tempfile/StringIO

5. do I have to specifically close the IO object (assuming that one is
returned?) - or perhaps I do not have to close the StringIO but I do have to
close the Tempfile?

6. are all of the form parameters in different tempfiles or are they all in
one? Say i close the file after reading 1 argument ... does this mean that I
cannot read any more?

Thanks for any help you can give me - I am pretty stuck on this. If I get
code working with StringIO objects it seems to break when I submit large
files, and if I get code working with Tempfile it seems to break when I
submit small files :)

Cheers,
Martin

--
Martin Hart
Arnclan Limited

Paul Vudmaska

Martin said:
[...]

If it is just posted, its text. If you use enctype=multipart/form-data
then all will be files.
If you use the second, use $cgi['your_form_item'][0].read to get the
text value.

For example:
oOverwrite = $cgi['overwrite'][0] #this is a checkbox
if oOverwrite
overwrite = oOverwrite.read.chomp #i'm reading it's value
if overwrite == 'on' then bOverwrite = true end
end

Notice i never close the tmp file. Never thot about it ;o)
2. do hidden controls work with multi-part forms? there is some discussion of
them not working on the mailing list dating back to last November but I don't
know if that has been fixed or not. My limited testing here indicates that
hidden parameters are ignored on multipart forms?
Yes. You'll need to access them as if they were a file - like above.
3. why are all values expressed as Tempfile/StringIO when using a multipart
form? Why not just have the file uploads as tempfiles?
I've not used StringIO
4. how does the CGI library determine whether or not to switch between
Tempfile/StringIO
Dont know
5. do I have to specifically close the IO object (assuming that one is
returned?) - or perhaps I do not have to close the StringIO but I do have to
close the Tempfile?
Hum, dont know.I've never closed them
6. are all of the form parameters in different tempfiles or are they all in
one? Say i close the file after reading 1 argument ... does this mean that I
cannot read any more?
I _think_ they are individual files.

Somthing to note : IE sends the whole path for the file name. NS(1.6)
only send the name.

CGI can be kind of counter intuitive - but it will work!

:p

Paul Vudmaska

Martin said:
[...]

Here is the code that i use. Prob not the best but has worked for me so far.

class Upload
#{{{ -----------------------Uploads file to server from html
form--------------------------

#max size of file in bytes
MAX_SIZE = 100000

#where the file goes / MUST HAVE WRITE PRIVS HERE
PATH = "/home/paul/web/"

#how many file inputs - you can upload multiple files at once
FILE_COUNT = 3

#what file types do we allow?
CONTENT_TYPES= ['image/jpg','image/jpeg','image/gif','image/png']

def initialize

#how are things going?
@status = []

if $form.isPost

post

print @status.join('<br/>')

form

else

form

end

end
def form
#{{{

puts '<form method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data">'

FILE_COUNT.times do

puts '<p/><input type="file" name="myfile">'

end

puts '<p/><input type=hidden name=upl value="upload">'
puts '<br/><input type=checkbox name="overwrite"/>Overwrite?'
puts '<br/><input type="submit">'
puts '</form>'

end#}}}

def post
#{{{

oOverwrite = $cgi['overwrite'][0]
bOverwrite = false
overwrite = ''

if oOverwrite
overwrite = oOverwrite.read.chomp
if overwrite == 'on' then bOverwrite = true end
end

$cgi['myfile'].each do |incoming|

if incoming.size == 0

@status<< "Ignoring empty field"
next

end

if incoming.size > MAX_SIZE

@status<< "Data too large for
#{incoming.original_filename}(#{incoming.size} > #{MAX_SIZE})"
next

end

#need to strip :)...trailing space...ouch
if not CONTENT_TYPES.include? incoming.content_type.strip

@status<< "Type not allowed(type =
#{incoming.content_type}) allowed content = #{CONTENT_TYPES.join(' | ')}"
next

end

#puts incoming.filename
# all should be ok to upload

sfilename = incoming.original_filename.untaint

#see if name has whacks...ie?
rdash = sfilename.rindex('\\')
if rdash
sfilename = sfilename[rdash+1,sfilename.length]
end

#physical path
path = PATH + $Domain + '/img/' + sfilename

if File.exist? path
if bOverwrite
File.delete path
else
@status<< "File already exists
(#{incoming.original_filename})"
next
end
end

#write to file
file = File.new(path.untaint,'w')
file << incoming.read
file.close

#path to link from web
httpPath = "http://#{$Domain}/img/#{sfilename}"

@status<< "Completed upload of <a target=_blank
href='#{httpPath}'>#{httpPath}</a>"
end

end#}}}

end#}}}
Upload.new

Martin Hart

Martin said:
1. how can I tell whether or not the supplied parameter was a file upload
or simple text that has been passed to me as a Tempfile/StringIO?

If it is just posted, its text. If you use enctype=multipart/form-data
then all will be files.
If you use the second, use $cgi['your_form_item'][0].read to get the
text value.

that's not quite what I meant... On a multipart form, is there a way to
determine whether or not the value at $cgi["fred"] represents an uploaded
file or just some text that was entered into an input control?
Yes. You'll need to access them as if they were a file - like above.

ok I'll have to try this again - my previous tests led me to believe that
$cgi["fish"] (where fish was a hidden control) returned me nil whatever the
value of the control was. I'll retest this.
I've not used StringIO

I didn't think it was optional - is there a way to turn it off so that only
Tempfiles are used?

Ruby-talk #19664 contains a patch that seems to offer what I want (i.e.
representing only file uploads as objects of class Tempfile). However that
message is from Aug 2001 and things have moved on since then...

Can I ask if that patch was ever incorporated and if not why it was not
suitable?

It seems to me to be illogical and inefficient (assuming we have to create a
load of tempfiles) to present all multipart form values as IO objects -
surely it is better to just present the values that contain actual file
uploads as IO objects?

Cheers,
Martin

Paul Vudmaska

Martin said:
Martin Hart wrote:

1. how can I tell whether or not the supplied parameter was a file upload
or simple text that has been passed to me as a Tempfile/StringIO?
If it is just posted, its text. If you use enctype=multipart/form-data
then all will be files.
If you use the second, use $cgi['your_form_item'][0].read to get the
text value.

that's not quite what I meant... On a multipart form, is there a way to
determine whether or not the value at $cgi["fred"] represents an uploaded
file or just some text that was entered into an input control?
No, not as far as i know(which is not very far!!)
Yes. You'll need to access them as if they were a file - like above.
ok I'll have to try this again - my previous tests led me to believe that

$cgi["fish"] (where fish was a hidden control) returned me nil whatever the
value of the control was. I'll retest this.
They seem to work. I tested it.
Sorry, i dont know!
I didn't think it was optional - is there a way to turn it off so that only
Tempfiles are used?

Ruby-talk #19664 contains a patch that seems to offer what I want (i.e.
representing only file uploads as objects of class Tempfile). However that
message is from Aug 2001 and things have moved on since then...
The version I use (on my host) is 1.6 or so
Can I ask if that patch was ever incorporated and if not why it was not
suitable?

It seems to me to be illogical and inefficient (assuming we have to create a
load of tempfiles) to present all multipart form values as IO objects -
surely it is better to just present the values that contain actual file
uploads as IO objects?

Cheers,
Martin
Seems like a good questions but I honestly dont know.

When things are sent with multipart/form-data the items are actually
sent as a sort of binary form(to support say,gif files). And it is the
responsibility of the server side code to disect it.

So, the fields are either all binary or all text.

But hey, i'm pretty new so keep that in mind :)
Paul