CGI input: Filter dict.update() unwanted variables

Gnarlodious

In my last post I learned of the necessity of filtering CGI input, so
what I want to do is set a dict of allowable variable names:

allowedVariables = {'eeny':None, 'meeny':None, 'miny':None, 'mo':None}

# Set up a FieldStorage object:
import cgi
inputVariables = cgi.FieldStorage()
for name, value in {"eeny" : "value1", "meeny" : "value2", "miny" :
"value3", "mofo" : "value4"}.items():
inputVariables.list.append(cgi.MiniFieldStorage(name, value))

allowedVariables.update(((key, inputVariables[key].value) for key in
inputVariables))
allowedVariables

As you can see, the variable 'mofo' gets added to allowedVariables,
which is normal behavior. Is there an easy way to limit updates to
ONLY variables in the allowedVariables dict?

And in addition, maybe return an error so the attacker can be blocked?

-- Gnarlie

Miki Tebeka

Is there an easy way to limit updates to
ONLY variables in the allowedVariables dict?

allowedVariables = ['eeny', 'meeny', 'miny', 'mo']
form = cgi.FieldStorage()
safe_input = dict((key, form.getvalue(key)) for key in allowedVariables)
And in addition, maybe return an error so the attacker can be blocked?
You can check if there is a "non-allowed variable" and then return HTTP error.
if set(form) - set(allowedVariables):
print('Status: 406\n\n')
raise SystemExit()

HTH

Chris Angelico

You can check if there is a "non-allowed variable" and then return HTTP error.
if set(form) - set(allowedVariables):
   print('Status: 406\n\n')
   raise SystemExit()

I'd be disinclined to do this; ignore unrecognized query variables,
but don't throw back an error. Sometimes it's convenient to let the
browser send a "junk header" that the server will ignore - helps with
integration with other systems. As long as you can be sure that the
script won't do the wrong thing, it should be fine to have an extra
bit of GET/POST data.

ChrisA