cgi.params sometimes empty following post to a form handler withmod_ruby

zak.wilson

I have a simple form handler in the form of an rhtml file being served
by Apache 2 and mod_ruby. On occasion, the CGI object created with
CGI.new will have an empty parameter list even though values were
posted from the form. I checked with a packet sniffer to make sure the
values were actually being transmitted, and they were. It works 90% of
the time, but that's not acceptable for something seen by real users.

It's very hard to troubleshoot this, as the problem only occurs
occasionally. Has anyone seen something like this before?

Tim Perrett

Isn't mod_ruby legacy now for serving ruby applications over the web?
Are you using a custom framework or something like camping et al?

Cheers

Tim

zak.wilson

Isn't mod_ruby legacy now for serving ruby applications over the web?
Are you using a custom framework or something like camping et al?

Probably, but legacy shouldn't mean totally broken. I'm not using a
framework at all - just a couple rhtml files. This really isn't
complicated enough to justify using a framework, but if I keep having
problems, I might move to Merb.

Tim Perrett

To be honest, if its just a web RHTML files dont bother moving to merb -
you dont need the overhead. Take a look at 'webby' or 'webgen' - they'll
give you the RHTML functionality you need.

Cheers

Tim

Tim Perrett

Tim said:
To be honest, if its just a web RHTML files dont bother moving to merb -
you dont need the overhead. Take a look at 'webby' or 'webgen' - they'll
give you the RHTML functionality you need.

Neither of those need mod_ruby by the way. They'll just work with Apache
as straight HTML

zak.wilson

It looks like these are useful templating systems for a static site,
but what I need here is a form handler that saves the values posted to
the form on the server for use by other scripts.

Tim Perrett

It looks like these are useful templating systems for a static site,
but what I need here is a form handler that saves the values posted to
the form on the server for use by other scripts.

Oh ok - perhaps you should take a look camping? That would give you
basic form handling in probably the smallest framework footprint.
Otherwise if you *do* need something more complex in the way of post
processing then look at merb/rails et al

Michael Granger

Isn't mod_ruby legacy now for serving ruby applications over the web?

What do you mean by "legacy"? There's some new "web" that's been
invented since the last release for which it's unsuitable?