    Any ideas or how should I do it.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thank in advance

    Amaninder Singh, Jun 28, 2011

  2. Amaninder Singh

    Chris Rebert Guest

    On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Amaninder Singh <> wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    > I am fairly new to the language and programing. I am trying to solve a
    > problem in a text file. Where names are something like in this  manner
    > [**Name2 (NI) 98**]
    >
    > [**Last Name (STitle) 97**]
    >  [**First Name4 (NamePattern1) 93**]
    > [**Last Name (NamePattern1) 94**]
    > ([**Name (NI) 95**])
    >  [**Last Name (un) 96**]
    > I am trying to change these with random names.

    The problem (particularly the exact meaning of your input file format)
    isn't quite clear. Sample output would be useful to those trying to
    help you.

    Cheers,
    Chris

    Chris Rebert, Jun 29, 2011

  3. Amaninder Singh wrote:
    > I am fairly new to the language and programing. I am trying to solve a
    > problem in a text file. Where names are something like in this manner
    > [**Name2 (NI) 98**]
    >
    > [**Last Name (STitle) 97**]
    > [**First Name4 (NamePattern1) 93**]
    > [**Last Name (NamePattern1) 94**]
    > ([**Name (NI) 95**])
    > [**Last Name (un) 96**]
    > I am trying to change these with random names.

    First thing is to read the text file. It looks to me that these are records
    that consist of multiple lines. Depending on the exact layout you could read
    and store them in a plain list or maybe a dictionary. As part of this sub-
    task, output each record, too, so you can manually verify that its fields
    are correct.

    with open(filename) as f:
    lines = list(f)
    print lines

    This should get you started, it will read the file into a list for further
    handling. You might need "codecs.open" instead if you have special
    requirements concerning the encoding.

    Then, in a second step, you just go through your list of records and modify
    them however you want. If there are restrictions to the overall form of a
    record or its contents, be sure to validate the record both after reading
    and after modification.

    In a third step, you just write the records to an output file, but by then
    this will be an easy task for you. Of course, reading back the output and
    validating it is a good idea. Actually, you can also skip the second step
    for now and just write back the data you previously read without
    modification.

    If you have any problems with these, be more specific with what you want,
    what you have already and where your problems are. In particular, don't ask
    for code, as that looks as if you were trying to get someone else to do your
    homework for you without making an effort yourself.

    Good luck!

    Uli

    --
    Domino Laser GmbH