Changed Resource Loading in Java Webstart JDK 1.5.0_16?

Andi

Hi,

I have a small webstart application. I am loading a xml file from a
jar file.

URL url = Program.class.getResource("/xml/settings.xml");

In Java Webstart of JDK 1.5.0_15 and JDK 1.6.0_7 I got following URL:

jar:file:[Path to jar file]!/xml/settings.xml

In JDK 1.5.0_16 I got

jar:xml/settings.xml

Does anybody knoes why that was changed. I have problems with this url
when I try to use a Xerces parser.

Thanks

Andrew Thompson

Hi,

I have a small webstart application. I am loading a xml file from a
jar file.

URL url = Program.class.getResource("/xml/settings.xml");

Try it this way..

.. = Thread.
currentThread().
getContextClassLoader().
getResource("/xml/settings.xml");

Andrew Thompson

Does anybody knoes why that was changed.

I saw a slew of links related to this general problem,
based on a post by sunnychangs to zai in
'jnlp java version specification 1.6.0_02 not working'
<http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5318200>.

The word 'this' in the first sentence links to an
Eclipse bug report that links back to or mentions
a number of closely related (Sun) bug reports.

The upshot is that.. *Sun will no longer provide
the path to the Java cache.*
..I have problems with this url when I try to use a Xerces parser.

One suggestion might be ..
- obtain the bytes from an input stream from the cached jar
- write the bytes to a temporary file
- ..and use that temporary file for the URL to the parser.

Note that others* have already expressed doubt in the
'temporaryness' of any files created.

* I think the Eclipse thread has a similar problem/solution
check the docs, read the thread..