Changing page bgcolor from code (repost)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by GaryDean, Mar 11, 2006.

  1. GaryDean

    GaryDean Guest

    In the original post I failed so indicate that I am using framework
    1.1.......

    I need to be able to change the background color of a page from code. I
    found an answer to this question in another forum from Peter Huang that said
    that an id="bg" as follows...

    then we could do the following in our codebehind file....

    Private Sub Page_Load(sender As Object, e As System.EventArgs)
    bg.Attributes.Add("BgColor", "#ff9933")
    End Sub

    However, I get the errror that bg is Private.

    Is there a solution to this issue where bgcolor, and other attributes of the
    document can be changed from codebehind code?

    --
    Regards,
    Gary Blakely

    GaryDean, Mar 11, 2006

  2. If that's all you want to do, why don't you simply do it,
    by setting the <body background-color...> attribute ?

    You aren't *really* attemptiong to change the background color
    from code. You are just setting an arbitrary background color.

    If that's all you want to do, why don't you just set it in the <body...>

    Otherwise, use the code for the examples I posted.
    Those samples allow users to select any background/foreground colors you want to allow.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 11, 2006

  3. GaryDean

    GaryDean Guest

    Yes I REALLY want to set it at run time - please trust me on this. Not at
    design time.

    The reason why I don't simply set it in the body is because I want to set it
    at run time.

    your examples show it working but I can't see your code behind.

    Maybe we are not communicating well. I want to find out how to set the
    background color at run time from my code behind file.

    --
    Regards,
    Gary Blakely

    GaryDean, Mar 11, 2006
  4. re:
    > your examples show it working but I can't see your code behind.

    The code for with sessions is at :
    http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quicks...n1/session1.src&file=CS\Customize.aspx&font=3

    and, for doing it with cookies, the code is at :
    http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quicks...rt/aspplus/samples/apps/cookies1/cookies1.src

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 12, 2006
  5. GaryDean

    GaryDean Guest

    I see your solution working and I saw the tutorial on this at gotdotnet.
    but this does not appear to be compatible with forms as they are used in
    vs.net. for instance...

    </form>

    The GetStyle call as above and as in your code is not tollerated in vs.net.
    I am unable to even return to the design view with that code as is.

    As I said before, I (simply) want to find out how to set the background
    color at run time from my code behind file. It seems there has to be a way
    to reference the bgcolor in the Document from my codebehind.

    GaryDean, Mar 12, 2006
  6. I think you're complicating your life needlessly.

    If you don't like that method, use this :

    <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="True" %>
    <head runat="server">
    <title>
    Changing a Page's Background Color
    </title>
    <script runat="server">
    void SubmitBtn_Click(object Source, EventArgs e)
    {
    Body1.Attributes["bgcolor"] = ColorSelect.Value;
    }
    </script>
    </head>
    <h3>Changing a Page's Background Color</h3>
    <form id="Form1" runat="server">
    Select a background color for the page: <p></p>
    <select id="ColorSelect" runat="server">
    <option>White</option>
    <option>Wheat</option>
    <option>Gainsboro</option>
    <option>LemonChiffon</option>
    </select>
    <input id="Submit1" type="submit" runat="server" value="Apply" onserverclick="SubmitBtn_Click"/>
    </form>

    ---000---

    You should be able to insert that code into code-behind,
    almost as it is. I wrote it inline, because I prefer inline coding.

    Notice that all I'm doing is adding an id attribute (body1) to the body,
    and then changing the bgcolor of that HtmlGenericControl.

    All you'd need to do is submit the form programmatically,
    with whatever value you are going to give to "Body1.Attributes["bgcolor"]

    You can see the above code working at :

    http://asp.net.do/WebSite2/CustomizeDemo.aspx

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 12, 2006
  7. Hi Gary,

    I think Juan's suggestion is good. Also, if you do need to programmatically
    set the bgcolor for page body in codebehind, we need to mark the body as
    "runat=server" and assign an ID, also in codebehind, we need to explicitly
    declare a protected control member fields to associate that tag. For
    example:

    ===================

    public class BgColorPage : System.Web.UI.Page
    {
    protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox txtColor;
    protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button btnSubmit;
    protected HtmlGenericControl bd;
    ===========================

    private void btnSubmit_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    {
    System.Drawing.Color bgcolor =
    System.Drawing.ColorTranslator.FromHtml(txtColor.Text);

    bd.Style["BACKGROUND-COLOR"] =
    System.Drawing.ColorTranslator.ToHtml(bgcolor);
    }
    ======================

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Mar 13, 2006
  8. GaryDean

    GaryDean Guest

    Steven,
    that was the answer! It was the declaration of bd as an htmlgeneric control
    that was missing.
    thanks for your help

    --
    Regards,
    Gary Blakely

    GaryDean, Mar 17, 2006
  9. You're welcome Gary,

    Good luck!

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Mar 20, 2006
  10. GaryDean

    GaryDean Guest

    Steven,
    I have an interesting complication related to putting a runat="server"
    inside my body tag.

    On one of my pages I was calling a Javascript function i.e. <body
    onload="setcursor".... where I am calling a javascript function. But since
    the body is now a server control the page gets an error saying setcursor is
    not a part of webform1.aspx.

    Do you know of way to call the javascript function now that it has the
    runat server?

    --
    Regards,
    Gary Blakely

    GaryDean, Mar 27, 2006
  11. Hi Gary,

    Thanks for your followup.

    Yes, I did find the problem you mentioned. It is caused by the
    runat='server' control's "onload" is always parsed ast server-side event.
    Currently I found that we can use code behind to programmatically assign
    the client-side onload script handler for the <body runat="server" > ...
    e.g:

    ======================
    <script language="javascript">
    function mybd_load()
    {
    alert("mybd_load...");
    }
    </script>
    </head>
    =========================

    =====================
    Public Class bodyPage
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

    Protected mybd As HtmlGenericControl

    System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

    mybd.Attributes("onload") = "mybd_load();"
    Response.Write("<br/>" & mybd.Attributes("onload"))
    End Sub
    =====================

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Mar 27, 2006
  12. GaryDean

    GaryDean Guest

    Thanks, that does it. but....

    you don't need the Response.Write("<br/>" & mybd.Attributes("onload")),
    all that does is put "<br/>mybd_load()" as the first line of the rendered
    html.

    anyway that solves the problem :)

    --
    Regards,
    Gary Blakely

    GaryDean, Mar 28, 2006
  13. Thanks for your response.

    Yes, "Response.Write("<br/>" & mybd.Attributes("onload"))" is my test code
    :p. Sorry for the confusion.
    Also, I'm glad that this is of assistance to you.

    Have a good day!

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Mar 28, 2006