    allow me to have an extension without a filename.

    Thanks!

    , Mar 28, 2008

  2. Mark Space Guest

    wrote:
    > Is there a way to make Eclipse use a name other than ".project" for
    > the project files? Long story short, I have a restriction that doesn't
    > allow me to have an extension without a filename.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I don't use Eclipse but don't you type in the name of the project when
    you create it? I thought you did.

    For my own knowledge: what is your restriction with file names that
    begin with a dot? I use Windows, and I have several such files. They
    are traditional on Unix. I'm wondering because I'd like to not get into
    the same situation myself, if I can avoid it.

    Mark Space, Mar 28, 2008

  3. Lew Guest

    Mark Space wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Is there a way to make Eclipse use a name other than ".project" for
    >> the project files? Long story short, I have a restriction that doesn't
    >> allow me to have an extension without a filename.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > I don't use Eclipse but don't you type in the name of the project when
    > you create it? I thought you did.

    The .project file is an internal Eclipse artifact that it uses to maintain the
    project state. There's one in every project.

    > For my own knowledge: what is your restriction with file names that
    > begin with a dot? I use Windows, and I have several such files. They
    > are traditional on Unix. I'm wondering because I'd like to not get into
    > the same situation myself, if I can avoid it.

    I develop with Rational Application Developer, which is constructed on
    Eclipse, in Windows, and it uses .project files, so it must not be a technical
    problem in Windows.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Mar 29, 2008