changing the uid from perl without being root

Tim Engler

Hi,

I'm writing an install script and want to be able to install files and
directories where some files are owned by one user and other files are
owned by another, but I don't have access to root.

Ideally, the script would prompt the user for the passwords for all
the uids needed to install the files at the beginning, and then
automatically log in as these uids to install the files as needed.

I was thinking of using "su" and named pipes to spawn multiple
processes at the beginning, and then tell them what to do when I
started the install, but I was wondering if there was an easier way.

Thanks,

Tim