changing the uid from perl without being root

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Tim Engler, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. Tim Engler

    Tim Engler Guest

    Hi,

    I'm writing an install script and want to be able to install files and
    directories where some files are owned by one user and other files are
    owned by another, but I don't have access to root.

    Ideally, the script would prompt the user for the passwords for all
    the uids needed to install the files at the beginning, and then
    automatically log in as these uids to install the files as needed.

    I was thinking of using "su" and named pipes to spawn multiple
    processes at the beginning, and then tell them what to do when I
    started the install, but I was wondering if there was an easier way.

    Thanks,

    Tim

    Tim Engler, Jan 20, 2004