    I don't want it to switch to another page - I would just like to conceal the
    server. Can this be done.

    - Kwaj

    Kwaj, Aug 19, 2005

  2. Kwaj

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Kwaj <>
    said:

    > Is there anyway to force a change of URL in the web client?

    You can't force anything on the web. There are several ways of telling
    the browser to forward to another page, but the answer depends on what
    you are trying to do.

    > I don't want it to switch to another page - I would just like to conceal the
    > server. Can this be done.

    No, and just as well. Imagine the abuse this would lead to.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Aug 19, 2005

  3. Leif K-Brooks, Aug 19, 2005
  4. Kwaj

    Fly Cooter Guest

    In article <43054a08$0$21076$>,
    says...

    >Is there anyway to force a change of URL in the web client?
    >
    >For example - the address window reads http://aurl.com . Now I would like it
    >to change the URL name to, http://anotherURL.com .
    >
    >I don't want it to switch to another page - I would just like to conceal the
    >server. Can this be done.

    It can be done but you need access to the domain you want to show. You can't
    use just any domain you want. Try this link http://www.neaturl.com/ This is a
    free domain forwarding service that lets you choose from a long list of
    domains.

    --
    Fly Cooter
    http://fly-cooter.tripod.com

    Fly Cooter, Aug 19, 2005
  5. Kwaj wrote:

    > Is there anyway to force a change of URL in the web client?

    Are you looking for some JavaScript that will change the contents of the
    address bar? JS will not have the privileges to achieve this.

    > For example - the address window reads http://aurl.com . Now I would like
    > it to change the URL name to, http://anotherURL.com .

    Without re-direction, you are simply asking the browser to fool the user.

    > I don't want it to switch to another page - I would just like to conceal
    > the server. Can this be done.
    >
    > - Kwaj

    Why not conceal (hide) the address bar? Are you working on a browser for a
    public terminal? A mediocre user will probably find a way to reveal the
    address anyhow... so you have many workarounds to worry about.

    Let's see if somebody else has an idea that will generalise to all Web
    clients...

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Aug 19, 2005
  6. On Friday 19 August 2005 05:33, Fly Cooter wrote:

    > In article <43054a08$0$21076$>,
    > says...
    >>

    >>Is there anyway to force a change of URL in the web client?
    >>
    >>For example - the address window reads http://aurl.com . Now I would like
    >>it to change the URL name to, http://anotherURL.com .
    >>
    >>I don't want it to switch to another page - I would just like to conceal
    >>the server. Can this be done.

    > It can be done but you need access to the domain you want to show. You
    > can't
    > use just any domain you want. Try this link http://www.neaturl.com/ This
    > is a free domain forwarding service that lets you choose from a long list
    > of domains.

    Good point. When I set up fly.to/ and some of the other variants including
    ".to" around 1998 this seemed to have been transparent to the real site
    location. Also, I know people whose dot com Web site is only a pointer to a
    site hosted somewhere else (with a far less admirable address).

    Having said all of this, there is not much /choice/. You are restricted to
    use a domain (or subdomain or pointer) that is owned by yourself so only
    /your/ address can be displayed in the address bar. For instance, re-direct
    www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com to www.XXXXfakeaddress.com where
    www.XXXXfakeaddress.com points to www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Aug 19, 2005
  7. Kwaj

    Fly Cooter Guest

    In article <de43er$2k7f$>,
    says...

    >On Friday 19 August 2005 05:33, Fly Cooter wrote:
    >
    >> In article <43054a08$0$21076$>,
    >> says...
    >>>

    >>>Is there anyway to force a change of URL in the web client?
    >>>
    >>>For example - the address window reads http://aurl.com . Now I would like
    >>>it to change the URL name to, http://anotherURL.com .
    >>>
    >>>I don't want it to switch to another page - I would just like to conceal
    >>>the server. Can this be done.

    >> It can be done but you need access to the domain you want to show. You
    >> can't
    >> use just any domain you want. Try this link http://www.neaturl.com/ This
    >> is a free domain forwarding service that lets you choose from a long list
    >> of domains.

    >Good point. When I set up fly.to/ and some of the other variants including
    >".to" around 1998 this seemed to have been transparent to the real site
    >location. Also, I know people whose dot com Web site is only a pointer to a
    >site hosted somewhere else (with a far less admirable address).
    >
    >Having said all of this, there is not much /choice/. You are restricted to
    >use a domain (or subdomain or pointer) that is owned by yourself so only
    >/your/ address can be displayed in the address bar. For instance, re-direct
    >www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com to www.XXXXfakeaddress.com where
    >www.XXXXfakeaddress.com points to www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com.

    NeatURL is only one of many free domain cloaking services on the web. Do a
    Yahoo of Excite search on "free domain forwarding" (without the quotes) and
    there are plenty more to be found.

    --
    Fly Cooter
    http://fly-cooter.tripod.com

    Fly Cooter, Aug 20, 2005
  8. Re: Changing URL in Address Bar

    On Saturday 20 August 2005 06:58, Fly Cooter wrote:

    > In article <de43er$2k7f$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >>On Friday 19 August 2005 05:33, Fly Cooter wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article
    >>> <43054a08$0$21076$>,
    >>> says...

    >>> It can be done but you need access to the domain you want to show. You
    >>> can't
    >>> use just any domain you want. Try this link http://www.neaturl.com/
    >>> This is a free domain forwarding service that lets you choose from a
    >>> long list of domains.

    >>Good point. When I set up fly.to/ and some of the other variants including
    >>".to" around 1998 this seemed to have been transparent to the real site
    >>location. Also, I know people whose dot com Web site is only a pointer to
    >>a site hosted somewhere else (with a far less admirable address).
    >>
    >>Having said all of this, there is not much /choice/. You are restricted to
    >>use a domain (or subdomain or pointer) that is owned by yourself so only
    >>/your/ address can be displayed in the address bar. For instance,
    >>re-direct www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com to www.XXXXfakeaddress.com where
    >>www.XXXXfakeaddress.com points to www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com.

    > NeatURL is only one of many free domain cloaking services on the web. Do
    > a Yahoo of Excite search on "free domain forwarding" (without the quotes)
    > and there are plenty more to be found.

    As yet, the OP hasn't said anything with regards to the purpose of this.
    Surely it can deceive a few users, but it would not be a flexible case of
    cloaking as you are restricted to choose one of just a certain set of
    domains. It is probably better used for disguising long and ugly URL's
    rather than frauds. Anybody with 10 bucks can afford to get a top-level
    domain. Some ISP's give free Web space and I know professional hosts who
    charge as little $20 per annum.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Aug 20, 2005
  9. Kwaj

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Good point. When I set up fly.to/ and some of the other variants including
    > ".to" around 1998 this seemed to have been transparent to the real site
    > location.

    Egads! That was you? I used to have a few of them, back in the day.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Aug 20, 2005
  10. Kwaj

    Kwaj Guest

    "Roy Schestowitz" <> wrote in message
    > On Saturday 20 August 2005 06:58, Fly Cooter wrote:
    >
    >> In article <de43er$2k7f$>,
    >> says...

    >>>Good point. When I set up fly.to/ and some of the other variants
    >>>including
    >>>".to" around 1998 this seemed to have been transparent to the real site
    >>>location. Also, I know people whose dot com Web site is only a pointer to
    >>>a site hosted somewhere else (with a far less admirable address).
    >>>
    >>>Having said all of this, there is not much /choice/. You are restricted
    >>>use a domain (or subdomain or pointer) that is owned by yourself so only
    >>>/your/ address can be displayed in the address bar. For instance,
    >>>re-direct www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com to www.XXXXfakeaddress.com where
    >>>www.XXXXfakeaddress.com points to www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com.

    >> NeatURL is only one of many free domain cloaking services on the web. Do
    >> a Yahoo of Excite search on "free domain forwarding" (without the quotes)
    >> and there are plenty more to be found.

    > As yet, the OP hasn't said anything with regards to the purpose of this.
    > Surely it can deceive a few users, but it would not be a flexible case of
    > cloaking as you are restricted to choose one of just a certain set of
    > domains. It is probably better used for disguising long and ugly URL's
    > rather than frauds. Anybody with 10 bucks can afford to get a top-level
    > domain. Some ISP's give free Web space and I know professional hosts who
    > charge as little $20 per annum.

    Basically I have my own URL and I have a blog hosted by modblogs. The
    probably is, I would like to associate my blogname with my perosnal website.
    All things being equal actually - I would host my blog on my domain but
    modblogs doesn't allow me to do this. And I am not too keen on using movable
    types.

    So, I am not trying to deceive but rather tidy up the URL of a blog and
    associate it with my name.

    i.e.

    http://mydomainname/myblog

    as opposed to

    http://myblog.modblog.com

    - Kwaj

    Kwaj, Aug 20, 2005
  11. Re: PHP/MySQL Blog Software

    On Saturday 20 August 2005 14:18, Els wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >
    >> Kwaj wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would host my blog on my domain but
    >>> modblogs doesn't allow me to do this. And I am not too keen on using
    >>> movable types.

    >> http://nucleuscms.org/
    >>
    >> No moveable type afaics. Just plain PHP.

    > (and a MySQL database of course)

    What about our beloved WordPress < http://wordpress.org >? MySQL and PHP as
    well. Very robust, very user-friendly, absolutely free and superior to
    Movable Type. WordPress.com is now up to compete with TypePad and it is
    based on a multi-user installation of the software from wordpress.org.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Aug 20, 2005
  12. On Saturday 20 August 2005 08:42, Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Good point. When I set up fly.to/ and some of the other variants
    >> including ".to" around 1998 this seemed to have been transparent to the
    >> real site location.

    > Egads! That was you? I used to have a few of them, back in the day.

    No, no... of course not. I was around 16 or 17 at the time. When I used the
    poor phrasing "set up fly.to/" I meant to say that I set up an account with
    fly.to (and later with welcome.to). I haven't come across any "to" site (or
    their subsites) recently. Perhaps they have been dug deep in the ground.

    I have just tried http://fly.to/roy and I got some ordinary error message

    ---
    Not Found

    The requested URL /~wmz735w was not found on this server.
    Apache/2.0.52 (Fedora) Server at user.tninet.se Port 80
    ---

    At first I even received some plug-in warning... as if something illicit was
    in place.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Aug 20, 2005
  13. Kwaj

    Els Guest

    Kwaj wrote:

    > I would host my blog on my domain but
    > modblogs doesn't allow me to do this. And I am not too keen on using movable
    > types.

    http://nucleuscms.org/

    No moveable type afaics. Just plain PHP.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Aug 20, 2005
  14. Kwaj

    Els Guest

    Els wrote:

    > Kwaj wrote:
    >
    >> I would host my blog on my domain but
    >> modblogs doesn't allow me to do this. And I am not too keen on using movable
    >> types.

    > http://nucleuscms.org/
    >
    > No moveable type afaics. Just plain PHP.

    (and a MySQL database of course)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Now playing: ùìîä àøöé - áùáéìä àúä îìê äòåìí

    Els, Aug 20, 2005
  15. Re: PHP/MySQL Blog Software

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:44:50 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
    <> wrote:

    >On Saturday 20 August 2005 14:18, Els wrote:

    >>> http://nucleuscms.org/
    >>>
    >>> No moveable type afaics. Just plain PHP.

    >> (and a MySQL database of course)
    >>

    >What about our beloved WordPress < http://wordpress.org >? MySQL and PHP as
    >well. Very robust, very user-friendly, absolutely free and superior to
    >Movable Type. WordPress.com is now up to compete with TypePad and it is
    >based on a multi-user installation of the software from wordpress.org.
    >
    >Roy

    Or Serendipity < http://www.s9y.org >, which I'm using. Serendipity
    uses MySQL and PHP.

    --
    Terry
    My blog: http://www.TheNextWindow.com

    Terry Stockdale, Aug 21, 2005
  16. Re: PHP/MySQL Blog Software

    On Sunday 21 August 2005 02:14, Terry Stockdale wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:44:50 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
    > <> wrote:

    >>> (and a MySQL database of course)
    >>>

    >>What about our beloved WordPress < http://wordpress.org >? MySQL and PHP
    >>as well. Very robust, very user-friendly, absolutely free and superior to
    >>Movable Type. WordPress.com is now up to compete with TypePad and it is
    >>based on a multi-user installation of the software from wordpress.org.
    >>
    >>Roy

    > Or Serendipity < http://www.s9y.org >, which I'm using. Serendipity
    > uses MySQL and PHP.

    It all looks fairly nice, I must admit. I never heard about it before
    despite the PageRank 8. It looks very similar to WordPress(/b2), only less
    mature perhaps. Their sites definitely seems to imply that they are fairly
    new in the business. I wonder what packages they used or extended to get
    started.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz Gas, brake, honk! Honk, honk, Punch! Gas, gas!
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Aug 21, 2005