Changing The URL

Kwaj

Is there anyway to force a change of URL in the web client?

For example - the address window reads http://aurl.com . Now I would like it
to change the URL name to, http://anotherURL.com .

I don't want it to switch to another page - I would just like to conceal the
server. Can this be done.

- Kwaj

Mark Parnell

Is there anyway to force a change of URL in the web client?

You can't force anything on the web. There are several ways of telling
the browser to forward to another page, but the answer depends on what
you are trying to do.
I don't want it to switch to another page - I would just like to conceal the
server. Can this be done.

No, and just as well. Imagine the abuse this would lead to.

Fly Cooter

Is there anyway to force a change of URL in the web client?

For example - the address window reads http://aurl.com . Now I would like it
to change the URL name to, http://anotherURL.com .

I don't want it to switch to another page - I would just like to conceal the
server. Can this be done.

It can be done but you need access to the domain you want to show. You can't
use just any domain you want. Try this link http://www.neaturl.com/ This is a
free domain forwarding service that lets you choose from a long list of
domains.

Roy Schestowitz

Kwaj said:
Is there anyway to force a change of URL in the web client?

Are you looking for some JavaScript that will change the contents of the
address bar? JS will not have the privileges to achieve this.

For example - the address window reads http://aurl.com . Now I would like
it to change the URL name to, http://anotherURL.com .

Without re-direction, you are simply asking the browser to fool the user.

I don't want it to switch to another page - I would just like to conceal
the server. Can this be done.

- Kwaj

Why not conceal (hide) the address bar? Are you working on a browser for a
public terminal? A mediocre user will probably find a way to reveal the
address anyhow... so you have many workarounds to worry about.

Let's see if somebody else has an idea that will generalise to all Web
clients...

Roy

Roy Schestowitz

It can be done but you need access to the domain you want to show. You
can't
use just any domain you want. Try this link http://www.neaturl.com/ This
is a free domain forwarding service that lets you choose from a long list
of domains.

Good point. When I set up fly.to/ and some of the other variants including
".to" around 1998 this seemed to have been transparent to the real site
location. Also, I know people whose dot com Web site is only a pointer to a
site hosted somewhere else (with a far less admirable address).

Having said all of this, there is not much /choice/. You are restricted to
use a domain (or subdomain or pointer) that is owned by yourself so only
/your/ address can be displayed in the address bar. For instance, re-direct
www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com to www.XXXXfakeaddress.com where
www.XXXXfakeaddress.com points to www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com.

Roy

Fly Cooter

Good point. When I set up fly.to/ and some of the other variants including
".to" around 1998 this seemed to have been transparent to the real site
location. Also, I know people whose dot com Web site is only a pointer to a
site hosted somewhere else (with a far less admirable address).

Having said all of this, there is not much /choice/. You are restricted to
use a domain (or subdomain or pointer) that is owned by yourself so only
/your/ address can be displayed in the address bar. For instance, re-direct
www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com to www.XXXXfakeaddress.com where
www.XXXXfakeaddress.com points to www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com.

NeatURL is only one of many free domain cloaking services on the web. Do a
Yahoo of Excite search on "free domain forwarding" (without the quotes) and
there are plenty more to be found.

Roy Schestowitz

NeatURL is only one of many free domain cloaking services on the web. Do
a Yahoo of Excite search on "free domain forwarding" (without the quotes)
and there are plenty more to be found.

As yet, the OP hasn't said anything with regards to the purpose of this.
Surely it can deceive a few users, but it would not be a flexible case of
cloaking as you are restricted to choose one of just a certain set of
domains. It is probably better used for disguising long and ugly URL's
rather than frauds. Anybody with 10 bucks can afford to get a top-level
domain. Some ISP's give free Web space and I know professional hosts who
charge as little $20 per annum.

Roy

Toby Inkster

Roy said:
Good point. When I set up fly.to/ and some of the other variants including
".to" around 1998 this seemed to have been transparent to the real site
location.

Egads! That was you? I used to have a few of them, back in the day.

Kwaj

Roy Schestowitz said:
As yet, the OP hasn't said anything with regards to the purpose of this.
Surely it can deceive a few users, but it would not be a flexible case of
cloaking as you are restricted to choose one of just a certain set of
domains. It is probably better used for disguising long and ugly URL's
rather than frauds. Anybody with 10 bucks can afford to get a top-level
domain. Some ISP's give free Web space and I know professional hosts who
charge as little $20 per annum.

Basically I have my own URL and I have a blog hosted by modblogs. The
probably is, I would like to associate my blogname with my perosnal website.
All things being equal actually - I would host my blog on my domain but
modblogs doesn't allow me to do this. And I am not too keen on using movable
types.

So, I am not trying to deceive but rather tidy up the URL of a blog and
associate it with my name.

i.e.

http://mydomainname/myblog

as opposed to

http://myblog.modblog.com

- Kwaj

Roy Schestowitz

(and a MySQL database of course)

What about our beloved WordPress < http://wordpress.org >? MySQL and PHP as
well. Very robust, very user-friendly, absolutely free and superior to
Movable Type. WordPress.com is now up to compete with TypePad and it is
based on a multi-user installation of the software from wordpress.org.

Roy

Roy Schestowitz

Egads! That was you? I used to have a few of them, back in the day.
No, no... of course not. I was around 16 or 17 at the time. When I used the
poor phrasing "set up fly.to/" I meant to say that I set up an account with
fly.to (and later with welcome.to). I haven't come across any "to" site (or
their subsites) recently. Perhaps they have been dug deep in the ground.

I have just tried http://fly.to/roy and I got some ordinary error message

---
Not Found

The requested URL /~wmz735w was not found on this server.
Apache/2.0.52 (Fedora) Server at user.tninet.se Port 80
---

At first I even received some plug-in warning... as if something illicit was
in place.

Roy

Terry Stockdale

What about our beloved WordPress < http://wordpress.org >? MySQL and PHP as
well. Very robust, very user-friendly, absolutely free and superior to
Movable Type. WordPress.com is now up to compete with TypePad and it is
based on a multi-user installation of the software from wordpress.org.

Roy

Or Serendipity < http://www.s9y.org >, which I'm using. Serendipity
uses MySQL and PHP.

Roy Schestowitz

Or Serendipity < http://www.s9y.org >, which I'm using. Serendipity
uses MySQL and PHP.

It all looks fairly nice, I must admit. I never heard about it before
despite the PageRank 8. It looks very similar to WordPress(/b2), only less
mature perhaps. Their sites definitely seems to imply that they are fairly
new in the business. I wonder what packages they used or extended to get
started.

Roy