character restrictions in names

Dan Platton

Dear all,

I'm having some difficulty in explaining to a colleague
that living in 2003 it should be possible to use 'strange'
characters in a program to identify entries and entities,
but he argues it is not the prefferable way to work under
unix and therefore the plain alpha numeric characters should
be used.

I would agree on the point where it comes to creating queries
where the other then plain numeric characters can cause problems
(like quotes, percentages, etc.) which needs to be escaped.

On the other hand people in different languages use some of those
characters, and given the fact that Java strings works with unicode
internally I was wondering if it is really possible to work with
strange characters in current programs without to much trouble
with storage to file or database. It could be offcource my perception
on this matter is way off track, but I feel it should be no problem,
or is it?

Regards,
Dan