charting

Bob Hairgrove

Hello

Before I embark on a google journey, I thought it would be good to get a
starting hints here first.
What am up against? I need to be able to chart a given sequence and be
able to zoom in/out, side scroll, auto scale, compare with other
sequences on the same horizontal scale, custom place chart objects, … etc

Any ideas on libs in C++ or somthing

thanks

This sounds like it is heavily GUI-centric ... most likely there is no
standard C++ library which will do what you want because the standard
C++ language doesn't concern itself with GUI's, operating systems,
etc.

If you can abstract the "chart object", and the "sequence object",
maybe we can help?

Phlip

Baloff said:
Before I embark on a google journey, I thought it would be good to get a
starting hints here first.
What am up against? I need to be able to chart a given sequence and be
able to zoom in/out, side scroll, auto scale, compare with other
sequences on the same horizontal scale, custom place chart objects, … etc

I googled. This topic is a pain in the nuts for C++. The best package I ever
auditioned, after 15 years of researching this very topic, was BLT with the
Python wrapper. That forsakes C++ (which you don't need), but I could not
install BLT on Win32 the last time I tried.

From there, here are the various problems:

- GNUplot - static output, not interactive. Good for books

- MacSym - payware?

- Mathematica - pay pay payware

- wxPlot - has bugs but scrolls great; a rewrite might
be underay

- Qt - has a hand-rolled solution that's inexcusable for
what's a very fine library

- Cern Root - billions of flexibilities, none of which lead
to a polished user experience

- LabWindows - payware

Good luck - report here if you find anything. Googling for everything in my
list at once might get you a survey.

Phlip

Bob said:
This sounds like it is heavily GUI-centric ... most likely there is no
standard C++ library which will do what you want because the standard
C++ language doesn't concern itself with GUI's, operating systems,
etc.

We can squeeze the question "what general C++ library does X?" into
topicality if it's a question we wouldn't trust other newsgroups to. If
someone redirects to an MS newsgroup and GNU happened to be better wouldn't
you feel guilty?

Baloff

Hello

Before I embark on a google journey, I thought it would be good to get a
starting hints here first.
What am up against? I need to be able to chart a given sequence and be
able to zoom in/out, side scroll, auto scale, compare with other
sequences on the same horizontal scale, custom place chart objects, … etc

Any ideas on libs in C++ or somthing

thanks

Bob Hairgrove

We can squeeze the question "what general C++ library does X?" into
topicality if it's a question we wouldn't trust other newsgroups to. If
someone redirects to an MS newsgroup and GNU happened to be better wouldn't
you feel guilty?

Why should I? I didn't redirect the OP anywhere.

red floyd

ben said:
In addtion, matlab interoperating with C/C++.

ben

Matlab interoperating with C++ is a royal pain in the ass. Trust me,
I've been beating my brains out over the last four months trying to get
a system (running C++ with MATLAB R13) ported to R14.

Robert Dede

Hello,

Check out Gigasoft ProEssentials. It sounds like you're needing serious
charting and ProEssentials goes beyond generic charting.

www.gigasoft.com

best regards,

Robert Dede
Gigasoft, Inc.

Lionel B

Phlip said:
I googled. This topic is a pain in the nuts for C++.

I won't dispute that.
The best package
I ever auditioned, after 15 years of researching this very topic, was
BLT with the Python wrapper. That forsakes C++ (which you don't
need), but I could not install BLT on Win32 the last time I tried.

From there, here are the various problems:

- GNUplot - static output, not interactive. Good for books

<shameless Gnuplot plug>

1) It's Gnuplot, not GNUplot (nothing whatsoever to do with the GNU project, is not GPL'd, although it is open source).
See <http://www.gnuplot.info/> for more detail.

2) Not sure what "static output" means.

3) It is certainly (as of the last few releases) interactive, featuring zooming, (auto)scaling, rotation (of 3D plots),
multi-plotting of series on common axis, etc. It has a /very/ extensive set of interactive commands for labelling, keys,
colours, data transformation, you name it (doesn't do scrolling, though, IIRC).

4) The nearest it has to a "programmatic interface" is that it accepts piped commands, if your OS supports pipes. This
can be pretty powerful - eg. it is deployed in this way as the plotting interface for the Octave numerical package
<http://www.octave.org/>.

5) It is capable of output to a range of "terminals" (read: graphics devices/image formats).

6) It is in very wide use (particularly in scientific circles), supported on many platforms, is actively developed and
has a large and responsive user community; support (via the newsgroup) is excellent.

I too have tried a range of free/non-free plotting alternatives, but keep coming back to Gnuplot.

</shameless Gnuplot plug>