Chat

Hannes

Hello,

i need to make a chat, (server and client), in JSP. Does anyone has
source code for this?

Neill

Hannes said:
Hello,

i need to make a chat, (server and client), in JSP. Does anyone has
source code for this?

Sure, send me $100 US and I will send you source code, or you can write it
yourself.

You will need an application server, I recommend Tomcat for school projects,
which you can d/l at http://jakarta.apache.org, and a JDK which can be d/l
from http://java.sun.com

I also recommend the Eclipse IDE, from http://www.eclipse.org

There is plenty of documentation available at these sites for installation
and use. Post back here if you need additional assistance.

Neill

millerch

Hannes said:
I have all that.

I am just looking for a tutorial, or something like that.

I doubt yopu will find a tutorial for a JSP based chat server... Its
very inefficient. You can easily find a tutorial for a sockets based
chat server though.

If it has to be JSP, it is pretty simple...
I have written one myself, it took all of 5 minutes. Unfortunately, I
have misplaced the code!

But basically, create an index page with 2 frames. 1 frame to provide a
text input and a submit button to add messages (possibly via some sort
of Conversation Bean), and another that does an html-refresh every 2 to
5 seconds, and gets the complete conversation from the server as an html
page.

From there, user logins, emoticons, and multiple chat rooms are easy...

I have wondered about using Javascript to get only the new messages,
instead of the entire conversation, but i am not sure how to do it.

Lucy

Hannes said:
I have all that.

I am just looking for a tutorial, or something like that.

I recommend you buy (or get from the library) the book
"Head First Java", by Sierra and Bates,
second edition, O'Reilly, 2005.

It has a tutorial on chat using java, (and also the source code, and
diagrams)
in chapter 15. Very well done too.

Hannes

Can you send me the code or something i am a complete zero in JSP. i
just have to do it for school (sennah_hannesathotmailpointcom)

millerch

Hannes said:
Can you send me the code or something i am a complete zero in JSP. i
just have to do it for school (sennah_hannesathotmailpointcom)

I don't think anyone will write it for you.

Make an attempt and post the code when you get stuck, or read the book
Lucy suggested (Alternatively send a cheque!)