check for a connect request

Tenacious

I need to add to my server application the ability to receive up to
30K of XML data from a client application. I know I can use an
XmlTextReader() to receive the data and put it into the cache. What I
am mostly not sure about is how the server is supposed to know that a
client is wanting to connect and is ready to send data. Do I set up a
polling thread in the server to check for a connect request or is
there a better way?

Guest

Can you be alittle more specific? is your application a windows app , a web
app, a windows service? what is the enviroment?

Tenacious

Can you be alittle more specific? is your application a windows app , a web
app, a windows service? what is the enviroment?

The client is a C# Windows application running on XP. It will be
distributed to outside customers. The server application is a web
application that will display lines on a map based on the data points
that the clent sends up to it. The client has a built in browser for
viewing the map. The server application is running on Windows Server
2003.

I myself am a Windows Application Developer trying learn enough about
ASP.Net while getting this project done for my company. I have the
website running and displaying lines on the map using hard coded data.
I have gone through books and web searches trying to find the best way
to send data between my client and the website, but most scenarios
seem to be the server sending data to the client. Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Guest

There are couple of ways to get this done but one that comes to my mind is to
use WebServices. You already mentioned client sending data using xml files.
Figure out a way to send this file using webservices to the server. I had
once used XMLHTTP to post data to server long before it was called AJAX. Like
i said there are couple of ways to do this.

HTH
Vijay

Tenacious

There are couple of ways to get this done but one that comes to my mind is to
use WebServices. You already mentioned client sending data using xml files.
Figure out a way to send this file using webservices to the server. I had
once used XMLHTTP to post data to server long before it was called AJAX. Like
i said there are couple of ways to do this.

HTH
Vijay

For anybody who is having the same problem I was having, I solved my
problem by attaching an asmx page to my website and simply using a
WebMethod that takes a string as an argument. All I have to do is call
this method from my client windows application passing it a string of
data points. My WebMethod then writes the data to a file where my
webpage reads it before displaying. Very simple, but difficult to find
information on how to do this. I didn't know that an asmx page could
be attached to a website that is not originally a web service unitil I
just plain tried it. I guess that makes it a webservice/website. I am
in the early stages of learning ASP.net. I hope I am doing this in a
practical way. Only time will tell.