Checking Common File Types

jade

Hello,
I'm trying to create a script that checks all the files in my 'downloaded' directory against common file types and then tells me how many of the filesin that directory aren't either a GIF or a JPG file. I'm familiar with basic Python but this is the first time I've attempted anything like this and I'm looking for a little help or a point in the right direction?

file_sigs = {'\xFF\xD8\xFF':('JPEG','jpg'), '\x47\x49\x46':('GIF','gif')}
def readFile(): filename = r'c:/temp/downloads' fh = open(filename, 'r') file_sig = fh.read(4) print '[*] check_sig() File:',filename #, 'Hash Sig:', binascii.hexlify(file_sig)
RegardsJade