Child control renders at desing-time as if it is in run-time...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Zarko Gajic, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. Zarko Gajic

    Zarko Gajic Guest

    Hi, I have a problem with design-time. The problem is rather hard to
    describe in a few sentences ... so I hope someone will reply asking for more
    info. For the start here's the situation (striped down to what I believe is
    crucial)

    1. I have a custom "ReadWriteControlDesigner" type of control (you can drop
    controls on it .. much like Panel). I'm using rendering (not composition).
    Since ReadWriteControlDesigner has its flaws, the control does not render
    100% at design time (expected) when dropped on a form (since some more
    controls are added in RenderBeginTag - for the run-time experience). I can
    live with that.

    2. When this Child is placed in some other container control (composite
    control, NOT ReadWriteControlDesigner) .. the Child control appears at
    design-time as it appears at run-time.

    Now, this produces some weird results...

    p.s.
    The true problem is when the Child control uses composition (along with
    ReadWriteControlDesigner) ... at design time all child controls (of the
    Child) get persisted in designer .. which leads to bad parsing .. so to
    speak

    p.s.2
    I know one *should not* use composition along with PersistChildren(true) and
    ParseChildren(false). I'm just not sure if this is "should not" or "must
    not".

    Anybody?

    ~Zarko
    Zarko Gajic, Mar 14, 2005