Child control renders at desing-time as if it is in run-time...

Zarko Gajic

Hi, I have a problem with design-time. The problem is rather hard to
describe in a few sentences ... so I hope someone will reply asking for more
info. For the start here's the situation (striped down to what I believe is
crucial)

1. I have a custom "ReadWriteControlDesigner" type of control (you can drop
controls on it .. much like Panel). I'm using rendering (not composition).
Since ReadWriteControlDesigner has its flaws, the control does not render
100% at design time (expected) when dropped on a form (since some more
controls are added in RenderBeginTag - for the run-time experience). I can
live with that.

2. When this Child is placed in some other container control (composite
control, NOT ReadWriteControlDesigner) .. the Child control appears at
design-time as it appears at run-time.

Now, this produces some weird results...

p.s.
The true problem is when the Child control uses composition (along with
ReadWriteControlDesigner) ... at design time all child controls (of the
Child) get persisted in designer .. which leads to bad parsing .. so to
speak

p.s.2
I know one *should not* use composition along with PersistChildren(true) and
ParseChildren(false). I'm just not sure if this is "should not" or "must
not".

Anybody?

~Zarko