choose between script and c++

baibaichen

hi all
some one has said that the script is glue language, and it is very
useful in some cases.

most of tasks, i can decide which language i should use, for example:
text substitution, consider, when we begin to write a function, we may
declare a interface as:void Foo(char* pFoo); and use it throughout.
Now, it's time to support UNICODE, so we have to update the interface
as Foo(TCHAR* pFoo); hence we should replace function calls
Foo("Xxxxxx") with Foo(_T("Xxxxxx")) ! I don't find any editor can do
this style find&replace. this is good case for script such as perl.

but sometimes, the case is very subtle. These days, i am developing a
function based another prodcut. the vender provided 2 interfaces:
script and c++. i have no experience in script, but it seems script has
high development efficiency but low modularity.

So what should i think about for choosing between script and c++? i.e.
which functions do i should implement with c++, and which functions do
i should implement with script?

mlimber

baibaichen said:
hi all
some one has said that the script is glue language, and it is very
useful in some cases.

most of tasks, i can decide which language i should use, for example:
text substitution, consider, when we begin to write a function, we may
declare a interface as:void Foo(char* pFoo); and use it throughout.
Now, it's time to support UNICODE, so we have to update the interface
as Foo(TCHAR* pFoo); hence we should replace function calls
Foo("Xxxxxx") with Foo(_T("Xxxxxx")) ! I don't find any editor can do
this style find&replace. this is good case for script such as perl.

You might be able to do this with regular expressions, which many
editors (and scripting languages, for that matter) support with aplomb.
See, for instance, nedit.org.
but sometimes, the case is very subtle. These days, i am developing a
function based another prodcut. the vender provided 2 interfaces:
script and c++. i have no experience in script, but it seems script has
high development efficiency but low modularity.

So what should i think about for choosing between script and c++? i.e.
which functions do i should implement with c++, and which functions do
i should implement with script?

Choice of language for a particular task is entirely application
dependent and driven primarily by business concerns. See the FAQ:

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/big-picture.html#faq-6.5

Cheers! --M