Choosing the right database-system for a small project

Discussion in 'Python' started by Thomas Weholt \( PRIVAT \), Jun 24, 2003.

  1. I've got a rather small project, small in the sense that there's not a lot
    of different tables needed in the database/storage-system, but there will be
    alot of data and the clients must be able to scan thru huge amounts of data
    very fast ( Not serial scanning, but lookups by key, preferrably several
    keys pr record, ie. I need to lookup people both by SSN and by
    first/last-name etc. )

    So far I've used MySQL, mainly because I need something that installs easily
    on both Linux and Windows. But I don't need a big user-management system, I
    need something light, a bit more flexible than shelve, and as I said earlier
    I need to lookup data by several key-fields.

    I've also looked at MetaKit and this seems like just my kind of thing. Easy
    to use and install. Remember that I've only looked at the docs, not tried
    anything for real. Another contender is SQLLite. It's very important that
    the system is easy to install. Anything more than "copy these files in this
    folder" or run this install-program on Windows is unacceptable, and anything
    more than configure/make/make install without lots of other library
    dependancies on Linux is also out of the question.

    Can anybody share experiences with these solutions? Speed, flexibility,
    installation issues? I intend to use this with Twisted so if there are any
    blocking issues I need to consider please let me know. Any other system I
    should take a look at ??

    Thanks a bunch,
    Thomas

    Thomas Weholt \( PRIVAT \), Jun 24, 2003

  2. It sounds like pySqlite would fit your needs perfectly.

    Kevin Dahlhausen, Jun 24, 2003

  3. Now I've looked closer at SQLite and MetaKit and they both seem great. I've
    looked for some sort of comparison but with little luck. Can anybody comment
    on what would
    be the pros and cons when the two are compared to each other ?

    I liked the fact that SQLite worked like a real SQL-database, but I also
    liked the way records turned into well-known Python-objects when fetched in
    MetaKit.

    Any comment, especially on speed and limitations found when using these two
    are interesting.

    Regards,
    Thomas

    Thomas Weholt \( PRIVAT \), Jun 24, 2003