Choosing whitch button will act as submit button

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Bjorn Sagbakken, Dec 10, 2006.

  1. Hello.

    There maybe an simple answer to this, but sometimes one get a strange
    blindness when working intensely on one single problem.

    I'm using ASP.NET 2003, building pages that include 3 user controls (banner,
    top-menu and sub-menu). The top-menu contains like five asp:buttons.

    Further down the form there is search field with another asp:button. And I
    naturally want this button to act as submit button in the sense that when
    the user push the [enter] button in the search field. Well, this doesn't
    happen. The first (left) button on the usercontol top-menu fires, whitch
    brings the user to completely different page (whitch is the intention when
    the user actually clicks this button)

    I have tried to add another form tag for this, but no thank you, only one
    server side form tag, please!

    I have tried various ugly workarounds, like passing session variables so
    that the button in the top-menu actually clicks back on the other button. No
    luck.

    Anyone with an idea on how to pick whitch button that will act as submit
    button, when usercontrols with buttons are included?

    Thanks.

    Regards
    Bjorn

    Bjorn Sagbakken, Dec 10, 2006

  2. Bjorn Sagbakken

    Microsoft Guest

    Yes, This will prevent any enter key submiting. However, you can extend this
    to allow the one you want to submit.

    http://www.trainingon.net/Articles/Art147/Art147.html

    --

    Best Regards - OHM

    http://TrainingOn.net

    Microsoft, Dec 10, 2006

  3. Yes, I have been thinking of trapping the enter key (ascii 13), but this has
    to be done in the asp:textbox (I think), and I am not sure how to do this.
    Maybe in a page event, but which?
    I using VB, so I would be grateful for any code example in VB.

    Bjorn

    Bjorn Sagbakken, Dec 10, 2006
  4. Bjorn Sagbakken

    OHM Guest

    This needs to be done on the client side using script langauge. You need to
    trap the onkeydown event of the body tag.

    OHM, Dec 10, 2006
  5. All right, I give in. Although I think it is kind of stupid that the
    server-code cannot decide whitch button should be the submit button. I even
    tried to tingle with the tabindex. I mean, on the form_load it should be
    easy enough to state this.

    But since I am fairly new to client scripting I couldn't make that work
    either. I tried something like this:
    <script language =vbscript>
    Sub Search

    if window.event.keyCode=13 then

    event.returnvalue=False

    event.cancel=True

    endif

    end sub

    </script>

    I only get a page error.

    Regards
    Bjorn

    Bjorn Sagbakken, Dec 10, 2006
  6. Use the script exactly as supplied for the browser. You don't want to use
    VBScript on the client side, JavaScript is the universal way. Server code
    cannot decide which button should be the submit since this is controlled by
    the browser itself and the browser has it's own way of determining which
    should be the submit, usually the first button that can postback that exists
    within the forms control hierarchy.

    --

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Dec 10, 2006
  7. Thanks, I think I'm beginning to understand the concept now. The script
    almost works, disabling the [ENTER] keypress, but I haven't yet been
    successful in executing the desired button_click action instead. This
    application is for my company's Intranet, so VBScript will do in the first
    place, everyone is stuck with Microsoft, except for Lotus Notes for mail.
    But I will start learning the basics of JavaScript for puposes like this.

    Bjorn

    Bjorn Sagbakken, Dec 11, 2006
  8. Yes, now everthing works like a dream. Just a little client scripting was
    all it took.
    Thanks everyone.

    Bjorn

    Bjorn Sagbakken, Dec 12, 2006