    W. eWatson Guest

    I thought I'd put a page break, chr(12), character in a txt file I wrote
    to skip to the top of the page. It doesn't work. Comments?

    W. eWatson, Jan 15, 2010

  2. On 2010-01-15, W. eWatson <> wrote:

    > I thought I'd put a page break, chr(12), character in a txt
    > file I wrote to skip to the top of the page. It doesn't work.
    > Comments?

    Yes, it does work.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! ... bleakness
    at ... desolation ... plastic

    Grant Edwards, Jan 15, 2010

  3. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    Grant Edwards wrote:
    > On 2010-01-15, W. eWatson <> wrote:
    >
    >> I thought I'd put a page break, chr(12), character in a txt
    >> file I wrote to skip to the top of the page. It doesn't work.
    >> Comments?

    > Yes, it does work.

    Apparently not with with my Brother 1440 laser printer. The character in
    NotePad.txt looks like a small rectangle, and on the printed page. Same
    result HP C6180 Photosmart.

    W. eWatson, Jan 15, 2010
  4. W. eWatson

    Tim Chase Guest

    W. eWatson wrote:
    > Grant Edwards wrote:
    >> On 2010-01-15, W. eWatson <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I thought I'd put a page break, chr(12), character in a txt
    >>> file I wrote to skip to the top of the page. It doesn't work.
    >>> Comments?

    >> Yes, it does work.
    >>

    > Apparently not with with my Brother 1440 laser printer. The character in
    > NotePad.txt looks like a small rectangle, and on the printed page. Same
    > result HP C6180 Photosmart.

    But are you sending the raw control codes to the printer, or are
    you sending the image-of-my-text-document to a printer-GDI which
    then renders the as-you-see-it out of the printer?

    The pseudo-pipeline comparison would be

    type file.txt > lpt1:

    which would send the raw text file to the printer (assuming it's
    set up on LPT1, otherwise, use whatever port it's attached to in
    your printer control panel); or are you using something like

    notepad file.txt
    File -> Print

    which renders to an internal image representation and then sends
    that image out to the printer. If it were a dot-matrix printer,
    you'd here/see the difference in a jiffy -- the raw dump is fast
    and uses the printer's built-in fonts while the render-as-image
    is slow and NOISY.

    One alternative is possibly to set up the "Generic Text" printer
    as a device type and attach it to the same port; I've had fair
    fortune with this letting me control the printer more directly if
    I want fast dumps (particularly on dot-matrix printers) rather
    than pretty dumps.

    -tkc

    Tim Chase, Jan 15, 2010
  5. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    Re: chr(12) Form Feed in Notepad (Windows)

    Tim Chase wrote:
    > W. eWatson wrote:
    >> Grant Edwards wrote:

    >>> Yes, it does work.
    >>>

    >> Apparently not with with my Brother 1440 laser printer. The character
    >> in NotePad.txt looks like a small rectangle, and on the printed page.
    >> Same result HP C6180 Photosmart.

    > But are you sending the raw control codes to the printer, or are you
    > sending the image-of-my-text-document to a printer-GDI which then
    > renders the as-you-see-it out of the printer?
    >
    > The pseudo-pipeline comparison would be
    >
    > type file.txt > lpt1:
    >
    > which would send the raw text file to the printer (assuming it's set up
    > on LPT1, otherwise, use whatever port it's attached to in your printer
    > control panel); or are you using something like
    >
    > notepad file.txt
    > File -> Print
    >
    > which renders to an internal image representation and then sends that
    > image out to the printer. If it were a dot-matrix printer, you'd
    > here/see the difference in a jiffy -- the raw dump is fast and uses the
    > printer's built-in fonts while the render-as-image is slow and NOISY.
    >
    > One alternative is possibly to set up the "Generic Text" printer as a
    > device type and attach it to the same port; I've had fair fortune with
    > this letting me control the printer more directly if I want fast dumps
    > (particularly on dot-matrix printers) rather than pretty dumps.
    >
    > -tkc

    I should mention I'm using Windows. I just put chr(12) right in the txt.
    It's the first character in the next line of the txt file where I want
    to page forward. Not acquainted with GDI. Maybe I need some sequence of
    such characters?

    W. eWatson, Jan 15, 2010
  6. W. eWatson

    Tim Chase Guest

    W. eWatson wrote:
    > Tim Chase wrote:
    >> The pseudo-pipeline comparison would be
    >>
    >> type file.txt > lpt1:
    >>
    >> which would send the raw text file to the printer (assuming it's set up
    >> on LPT1, otherwise, use whatever port it's attached to in your printer
    >> control panel); or are you using something like
    >>
    >> notepad file.txt
    >> File -> Print

    > I should mention I'm using Windows. I just put chr(12) right in the txt.
    > It's the first character in the next line of the txt file where I want
    > to page forward. Not acquainted with GDI. Maybe I need some sequence of
    > such characters?

    It's not a matter of you controlling the GDI stuff. Unless
    you're writing directly to the printer device, printing on
    Windows is done (whether by Notepad, gvim, Word, Excel, whatever)
    into a graphical representation which is then shipped off to the
    printer. So if you're printing from Notepad, it's going to print
    what you see (the little square), because Notepad renders to this
    graphical representation to print. If you send the file
    *directly* to the printer device (bypassing the Win32 printing
    layer), it will send the ^L directly and should eject a new page
    on most printers.

    -tkc

    Tim Chase, Jan 15, 2010
  7. W. eWatson

    Tim Chase wrote:
    > W. eWatson wrote:
    >> Tim Chase wrote:
    >>> The pseudo-pipeline comparison would be
    >>>
    >>> type file.txt > lpt1:
    >>>
    >>> which would send the raw text file to the printer (assuming it's set
    >>> up on LPT1, otherwise, use whatever port it's attached to in your
    >>> printer control panel); or are you using something like
    >>>
    >>> notepad file.txt
    >>> File -> Print

    >> I should mention I'm using Windows. I just put chr(12) right in the
    >> txt. It's the first character in the next line of the txt file where I
    >> want to page forward. Not acquainted with GDI. Maybe I need some
    >> sequence of such characters?

    > It's not a matter of you controlling the GDI stuff. Unless you're
    > writing directly to the printer device, printing on Windows is done
    > (whether by Notepad, gvim, Word, Excel, whatever) into a graphical
    > representation which is then shipped off to the printer. So if you're
    > printing from Notepad, it's going to print what you see (the little
    > square), because Notepad renders to this graphical representation to
    > print. If you send the file *directly* to the printer device (bypassing
    > the Win32 printing layer), it will send the ^L directly and should eject
    > a new page on most printers.
    >
    > -tkc

    I am writing a txt file. It's up to the user to print it using Notepad
    or some other tool. I have no idea how to send it directly to the
    printer, but I really don't want to furnish that capability in the
    program. From Google, The Graphics Device Interface (GDI).

    W. eWatson, Jan 16, 2010
  8. W. eWatson

    Mensanator Guest

    On Jan 15, 6:40 pm, "W. eWatson" <> wrote:
    > Tim Chase wrote:
    > > W. eWatson wrote:

    > >> I should mention I'm using Windows. I just put chr(12) right in the
    > >> txt. It's the first character in the next line of the txt file where I
    > >> want to page forward. Not acquainted with GDI. Maybe I need some
    > >> sequence of such characters?

    > > It's not a matter of you controlling the GDI stuff.  Unless you're
    > > writing directly to the printer device, printing on Windows is done
    > > (whether by Notepad, gvim, Word, Excel, whatever) into a graphical
    > > representation which is then shipped off to the printer.  So if you're
    > > printing from Notepad, it's going to print what you see (the little
    > > square), because Notepad renders to this graphical representation to
    > > print.  If you send the file *directly* to the printer device (bypassing
    > > the Win32 printing layer), it will send the ^L directly and should eject
    > > a new page on most printers.

    > > -tkc

    > I am writing a txt file. It's up to the user to print it using Notepad
    > or some other tool.  I have no idea how to send it directly to the
    > printer, but I really don't want to furnish that capability in the
    > program. From Google, The Graphics Device Interface (GDI).

    Have you considered the possibility that your printer can't print
    raw text files? I had one that would ONLY print Postscript. Embedding
    a chr(12) would accomplish nothing, you HAD to use a driver that
    would translate chr(12) into the appropriate Postcript codes.

    What you're doing MIGHT work for others with different printers.

    Mensanator, Jan 16, 2010
  9. W. eWatson

    Neil Hodgson Guest

    W. eWatson wrote:

    > I am writing a txt file. It's up to the user to print it using Notepad
    > or some other tool.

    WordPad will interpret chr(12) as you want.

    Neil

    Neil Hodgson, Jan 16, 2010
  10. W. eWatson

    Tim Chase Guest

    W. eWatson wrote:
    > I am writing a txt file. It's up to the user to print it using
    > Notepad or some other tool. I have no idea how to send it
    > directly to the printer, but I really don't want to furnish
    > that capability in the program. From Google, The Graphics
    > Device Interface (GDI).

    If you're writing it to a text file and assuming that Notepad is
    smart enough to properly handle form-feeds, I'm sorry, you'll be
    disappointed...this says more about the brain-deadness of Notepad
    than your optimism :)

    If you have a configurable destination, you might be able to do
    something within your Python app like

    if 'win' in sys.platform.lower():
    default_dest = "lpt1:"
    else:
    default_dest = "/dev/lp0"
    dest = config.get("printer", default_dest)
    f = file(dest, 'wb')
    f.write(my_output_with_ff)
    # optionally
    # f.write(chr(12))
    # to eject the last page
    f.close()

    Otherwise, you'd have to write to something a default Windows
    application would know how to handle with embedded
    form-feeds/page-breaks (i.e., not Notepad as the default .txt
    handler). My first thought would be to export it as RTF (there
    was a good python RTF library I tinkered with one afternoon --
    it's a quick google away) which should allow embedding
    page-breaks, and even give you a fair bit of additional control
    over other aspects like fonts and styles.

    -tkc

    Tim Chase, Jan 16, 2010
  11. W. eWatson

    Mensanator wrote:
    > On Jan 15, 6:40 pm, "W. eWatson" <> wrote:
    >> Tim Chase wrote:

    >> program. From Google, The Graphics Device Interface (GDI).

    > Have you considered the possibility that your printer can't print
    > raw text files? I had one that would ONLY print Postscript. Embedding
    > a chr(12) would accomplish nothing, you HAD to use a driver that
    > would translate chr(12) into the appropriate Postcript codes.
    >
    > What you're doing MIGHT work for others with different printers.

    Could be, but I have no way of easily knowing. In any case, I was trying
    to write a simple report that could be printed with titles at the top of
    each page. If there's another "common" format that I can write in to
    produce the file, that's fine. It may be this is so difficult to be
    impossible. Long, long ago this was no problem. :)

    I suppose I could copy the txt file into wordpad, and print it there.

    W. eWatson, Jan 16, 2010
  12. W. eWatson

    Nobody Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:42:43 -0800, W. eWatson wrote:

    > I thought I'd put a page break, chr(12), character in a txt file I wrote
    > to skip to the top of the page. It doesn't work. Comments?

    The 1970's are over, and neither Notepad nor your printer attempts to
    maintain compatibility with a Teletype model 37.

    Nobody, Jan 16, 2010
  13. W. eWatson

    Neil Hodgson wrote:
    > W. eWatson wrote:
    >
    >> I am writing a txt file. It's up to the user to print it using Notepad
    >> or some other tool.

    > WordPad will interpret chr(12) as you want.
    >
    > Neil

    That may be the solution. Just tell the end user to copy the file into
    it, and print it there.

    I just tried it in Wordpad, and it works, but my --- underlines are
    pushed together. Maybe tabs instead of spaces. The columns past Seq # in
    WordPad may suffer from the characters not being fixed width. Well, a
    little work with WordPad might be enough for users to get it right.
    "Copy txt file into wordpad. Select all the text, and set format to
    fixed (if that's possible.).

    Here's what a txt sample looks like. It has line wrap here, and the page
    feed

    Date/Time & Station UTC Seq # Frames Time Span Pix
    Dst Pix/Sec
    ------------------- -- ------------------- ----- ------ ---------
    ------- -------
    2008/11/12 17:38:58 WW 2008/11/13 01:38:58 1 Noise data. Short
    track.
    2008/11/12 17:39:24 WW 2008/11/13 01:39:24 2 Noise data. Short
    track.

    <-------------PAGE FEED
    Date/Time & Station UTC Seq # Frames Time Span Pix
    Dst Pix/Sec
    ------------------- -- ------------------- ----- ------ ---------
    ------- -------
    2008/11/17 22:29:54 WW 2008/11/18 06:29:54 21 Noise data. Short
    track.
    2008/11/18 01:51:36 WW 2008/11/18 09:51:36 22 Noise data. Short
    track.
    2008/11/18 04:05:03 WW 2008/11/18 12:05:03 23 Noise data. Short
    track.
    2008/11/18 17:40:42 WW 2008/11/19 01:40:42 24 95 3.17
    48.17 15.21

    W. eWatson, Jan 16, 2010
  14. Re: chr(12) Form Feed in Notepad (Windows)

    On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:17:35 -0800
    "W. eWatson" <> wrote:
    > Could be, but I have no way of easily knowing. In any case, I was trying
    > to write a simple report that could be printed with titles at the top of
    > each page. If there's another "common" format that I can write in to
    > produce the file, that's fine. It may be this is so difficult to be
    > impossible. Long, long ago this was no problem. :)

    Why not generate a PostScript or PDF file in the first place? Check
    out reportlab.

    --
    D'Arcy J.M. Cain <> | Democracy is three wolves

    D'Arcy J.M. Cain, Jan 16, 2010
  15. W. eWatson

    D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:17:35 -0800
    > "W. eWatson" <> wrote:
    >> Could be, but I have no way of easily knowing. In any case, I was trying
    >> to write a simple report that could be printed with titles at the top of
    >> each page. If there's another "common" format that I can write in to
    >> produce the file, that's fine. It may be this is so difficult to be
    >> impossible. Long, long ago this was no problem. :)

    > Why not generate a PostScript or PDF file in the first place? Check
    > out reportlab.

    New Courier and NotePad produces a good looking result.

    I'm trying to keep this effort to a minimum. I don't think tracking down
    how to write PP code PDF code is worth for this effort.

    In another related effort that I might get involved in, it would be good
    to be able to produce graphical data as from MatPlotLib and be able to
    print that to a printer directly from a Python program.

    W. eWatson, Jan 16, 2010
  16. W. eWatson

    Lie Ryan Guest

    On 01/17/10 02:37, W. eWatson wrote:
    > D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
    >> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:17:35 -0800
    >> "W. eWatson" <> wrote:
    >>> Could be, but I have no way of easily knowing. In any case, I was
    >>> trying to write a simple report that could be printed with titles at
    >>> the top of each page. If there's another "common" format that I can
    >>> write in to produce the file, that's fine. It may be this is so
    >>> difficult to be impossible. Long, long ago this was no problem. :)

    >> Why not generate a PostScript or PDF file in the first place? Check
    >> out reportlab.
    >>

    > New Courier and NotePad produces a good looking result.
    >
    > I'm trying to keep this effort to a minimum. I don't think tracking down
    > how to write PP code PDF code is worth for this effort.

    How about creating a new print job for each discontinuous page? AFAIK,
    modern printer spooler don't continue printing between separate jobs? A
    bit of hackery, but guaranteed to work unless you're using roll paper.

    Lie Ryan, Jan 16, 2010
  17. W. eWatson

    John Yeung Guest

    On Jan 15, 7:40 pm, "W. eWatson" <> wrote:
    > I am writing a txt file. It's up to the user to print
    > it using Notepad or some other tool.

    In another response, Tim Chase suggested creating an RTF file instead
    of plain text. I think this is your best bet if your goal is to get
    page breaks with the least amount of additional effort.

    The package he's probably referring to is PyRTF. I took a quick look
    at it and in my opinion it's overkill for your purposes. Since RTF is
    actually just a markup language, and the only features of it that you
    absolutely need are (1) a way to ensure a fixed-width font is used and
    (2) a way to insert page breaks, it's probably quickest and simplest
    to just throw the markup into the document yourself (well, with
    Python) and naming the result with the .rtf suffix instead of .txt.

    So, how do you find out what markup to use? Open WordPad, select the
    font you want, type a bit of text, save the file as RTF (this should
    be the default), and open up the file in Notepad. At the top will be
    a bunch of setup codes, including the font selection. Make your
    Python program put that whole spiel (including a trailing space or
    newline, to separate your text from the last RTF tag) at the top of
    your output. There will be one unmatched curly brace, which you
    should close at the end of the document. On my computer, it looks
    like this:

    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fmodern
    \fprq1\fcharset0 Courier New;}}
    {\*\generator Msftedit 5.41.15.1515;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20

    That takes care of the font (and other stuff, but you are interested
    in the font). The only other things you need to do are put
    r'\par' (the end-paragraph tag) at the end of each line and r'\page'
    at the end of each page. Again, remember to make sure these tags
    don't collide with your actual text. (I'd use '\\par\n' in place of
    '\n' and '\\page\n' in place of chr(12).) Finally, make sure to end
    with a closing curly brace as previously mentioned.

    The RTF solution is probably more robust than embedding chr(12) and
    telling the user to use WordPad, especially since I saw someone report
    on another forum that chr(12) doesn't always work even in WordPad (it
    might be dependent on the version of WordPad, or the printer, or
    whatever).

    I am too lazy to have actually read any documentation on RTF, but it's
    freely available on the Web should you need to reference it.

    John

    John Yeung, Jan 16, 2010
  18. W. eWatson

    bartc Guest

    "Nobody" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:42:43 -0800, W. eWatson wrote:
    >
    >> I thought I'd put a page break, chr(12), character in a txt file I wrote
    >> to skip to the top of the page. It doesn't work. Comments?

    > The 1970's are over, and neither Notepad nor your printer attempts to
    > maintain compatibility with a Teletype model 37.

    Odd that TXT files under Windows still use the same 13 (carriage return), 10
    (linefeed) and 9 (tab) codes that used to work on my ASR 33. So why not code
    12 (formfeed)?

    --
    Bartc

    bartc, Jan 16, 2010
  19. W. eWatson

    Steve Holden Guest

    Lie Ryan wrote:
    > On 01/17/10 02:37, W. eWatson wrote:
    >> D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
    >>> Why not generate a PostScript or PDF file in the first place? Check
    >>> out reportlab.
    >>>

    >> New Courier and NotePad produces a good looking result.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to keep this effort to a minimum. I don't think tracking down
    >> how to write PP code PDF code is worth for this effort.

    > How about creating a new print job for each discontinuous page? AFAIK,
    > modern printer spooler don't continue printing between separate jobs? A
    > bit of hackery, but guaranteed to work unless you're using roll paper.

    Or unless you are printing to a production mailing system, and don't
    want job headers printed or interspersed jobs.

    >> In another related effort that I might get involved in, it would be good
    >> to be able to produce graphical data as from MatPlotLib and be able to
    >> print that to a printer directly from a Python program.

    A client of mine just built a web site where output from queries could
    be HTML, PDF (Piza and ReportLab) or CSV (just written out). It's not
    that hard (though the code isn't open sourced I may be able to get them
    to document an outline of the process, or let me (in my copious spare time).

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Jan 16, 2010
  20. W. eWatson

    Tim Chase Guest

    John Yeung wrote:
    > In another response, Tim Chase suggested creating an RTF file instead
    > of plain text. I think this is your best bet if your goal is to get
    > page breaks with the least amount of additional effort.
    >
    > The package he's probably referring to is PyRTF. I took a quick look
    > at it and in my opinion it's overkill for your purposes.

    Yes, John is correct -- it was PyRTF that I tinkered with (which
    can be overkill if all you want to do is what John describes).
    I'm not well versed in RTF, and he demonstrates:

    > I am too lazy to have actually read any documentation on RTF, but it's
    > freely available on the Web should you need to reference i

    even in his laziness, he helpfully provided a quick guide on how
    to hand-create simple documents without the addition of a
    full-blown RTF toolkit like PyRTF.

    -tkc

    Tim Chase, Jan 16, 2010