''cid:'' ?

Seymour Dupa

What does
"cid:031401Mfdab4$3f3dL780$73387018@57W81fa70Re"
do in the following:

If the message will not displayed automatically,<br>
follow the link to read the delivered message.<br><br>
Received message is available at:<br>
width=0>www.yahoogroups.com/inbox/cervix/read.php?sessionid-19564</a>
<iframe
src=cid:031401Mfdab4$3f3dL780$73387018@57W81fa70Re height=0
width=0></iframe>

brucie

in post: <
Seymour Dupa said:
What does
"cid:031401Mfdab4$3f3dL780$73387018@57W81fa70Re"

RFC2111 Content-ID and Message-ID Uniform Resource Locators
Abstract
The Uniform Resource Locator (URL) schemes, "cid:" and "mid:" allow
references to messages and the body parts of messages. For example,
within a single multipart message, one HTML body part might include
embedded references to other parts of the same message.
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2111.txt

Seymour Dupa

So what part of the message does this refer to?
in post: <

RFC2111 Content-ID and Message-ID Uniform Resource Locators
Abstract
The Uniform Resource Locator (URL) schemes, "cid:" and "mid:" allow
references to messages and the body parts of messages. For example,
within a single multipart message, one HTML body part might include
embedded references to other parts of the same message.
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2111.txt

Daniel R. Tobias

Seymour Dupa said:
What does
"cid:031401Mfdab4$3f3dL780$73387018@57W81fa70Re"
do in the following:

If the message will not displayed automatically,<br>
follow the link to read the delivered message.<br><br>
Received message is available at:<br>
width=0>www.yahoogroups.com/inbox/cervix/read.php?sessionid-19564</a>
<iframe
src=cid:031401Mfdab4$3f3dL780$73387018@57W81fa70Re height=0
width=0></iframe>

Probably attempts to infect your computer with a virus, worm, or
trojan-horse program, or pop up a spam message, or something equally
annoying and/or dangerous. Any situation where a message presents a
link to one address while displaying a different one as the link text
is almost certainly some sort of sinister attempt to mislead the user.
The use of the "iframe" element in an HTML-format e-mail message is
also almost always connected with malware.

However, as others have noted, the cid URI scheme has legitimate use
in referring to items attached to a message. I discuss this more in
my site:

http://mailformat.dan.info/body/html.html
http://mailformat.dan.info/headers/mime.html

Seymour Dupa

Daniel said:
Probably attempts to infect your computer with a virus, worm, or
trojan-horse program, or pop up a spam message, or something equally
annoying and/or dangerous. Any situation where a message presents a
link to one address while displaying a different one as the link text
is almost certainly some sort of sinister attempt to mislead the user.
The use of the "iframe" element in an HTML-format e-mail message is
also almost always connected with malware.

I am fairly certain this is a virus. I'm just wondering about the
mechanics of it. Where in the email is the viral code that is launched
when the 'link' is clicked?

John

Seymour Dupa