cidr.rb: port of Perl's Net::CIDR v0.11 available

Dave Burt

Hi,
As an aside: anyone have a port of Net::ping they are willing to share? I'm
trying to convert some code (and colleagues!) to Ruby and am running into the
"missing libraries" issue...

Check the RAA (and Rubyforge).

For ping, there is 'ping' in the standard library, and 'net/ping' on the
RAA ('gem install net-ping').

Pat Eyler wrote in May about pushing an ICMP-capable version of net/ping
into the standard library for 1.8.6.

Cheers,
Dave

Daniel Berger

Dave said:
Hi,

Check the RAA (and Rubyforge).

For ping, there is 'ping' in the standard library, and 'net/ping' on the
RAA ('gem install net-ping').

Pat Eyler wrote in May about pushing an ICMP-capable version of net/ping
into the standard library for 1.8.6.

Cheers,
Dave

Indeed, Pat talked to me about possibly including net-ping in the
standard lib, though it needs a PingICMP class. It could probably
stand a bit of reorganization, too.

In fact, I still have some code laying around that Sean Chittenden sent
to me a long time ago. Maybe it's time to revisit that. :)

Regards,

Dan

pat eyler

ugh! I hate ping.
Indeed, Pat talked to me about possibly including net-ping in the
standard lib, though it needs a PingICMP class. It could probably
stand a bit of reorganization, too.

I've actually done some work on the code, but it's in need of some
documentation and a bit more polish. The ICMP ping still needs
to be integrated as well.

I just have more ambition than time, talent, and energy. :(

Jos Backus

Hi Dave,

Hi,

Check the RAA (and Rubyforge).

For ping, there is 'ping' in the standard library, and 'net/ping' on the
RAA ('gem install net-ping').

I'm aware of those but they lack some features the Perl version has. Notably
ICMP support and returning timing information.

It would also be nice for there to be a single Net::ping class, just like the
Perl version provides, wrapping/hiding the specialized classes. That seems
like an easy addition.
Pat Eyler wrote in May about pushing an ICMP-capable version of net/ping
into the standard library for 1.8.6.

/me crosses fingers...

Cheers,

Dave Burt

pat said:
ugh! I hate ping.

I've actually done some work on the code, but it's in need of some
documentation and a bit more polish. The ICMP ping still needs
to be integrated as well.

I just have more ambition than time, talent, and energy. :(

It sounds simple enough for a Ruby Quiz. Then we'd have not two, but a
dozen versions, possibly including a Net::ping-interfaced one for Jos!

Dave

James Edward Gray II

It sounds simple enough for a Ruby Quiz. Then we'd have not two, but a
dozen versions, possibly including a Net::ping-interfaced one for Jos!

I'm a huge fan of using the Ruby Quiz to improve libraries like
this. I'm a Ping Dummy, so you guys put your heads together and
write up something that explains the goals and if I can understand
them, we've got a winner.

It takes a lot less time, talent, and energy to define the problem
well enough to get help from the whole community and the results
never cease to dazzle me...

James Edward Gray II

Daniel Berger

Jos said:
Hi Dave,

I'm aware of those but they lack some features the Perl version has. Notably
ICMP support and returning timing information.
Well, there is PingExternal for ICMP support. ;)

Seriously, though, both would be good additions.
It would also be nice for there to be a single Net::ping class, just like the
Perl version provides, wrapping/hiding the specialized classes. That seems
like an easy addition.
The API was modelled after the current ping.rb in the standard library
to try to keep things consistant and more portable for anyone switching
from ping.rb to my net-ping module. A factory pattern should be doable
if that's what folks want. In practice, however, I don't see it as a
major issue, and probably not worth the API breakage.

Regards,

Dan

Jos Backus

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 12:20:36AM +0900, Daniel Berger wrote:
[snip]
Well, there is PingExternal for ICMP support. ;)

Seriously, though, both would be good additions.
Indeed.

The API was modelled after the current ping.rb in the standard library
to try to keep things consistant and more portable for anyone switching
from ping.rb to my net-ping module. A factory pattern should be doable
if that's what folks want. In practice, however, I don't see it as a
major issue, and probably not worth the API breakage.

It eases the transition from Perl, as in my case. If you mean something like
the following then that would be great:

lizzy:/tmp% cat r
class Ping
def self.create(type, *args)
case type
when :foo
FooPing.new
when :bar
BarPing.new
end
end
end

class FooPing < Ping
def ping(host)
puts "#{self.class}: pinging #{host}"
end
end

class BarPing < Ping
def ping(host)
puts "#{self.class}: pinging #{host}"
end
end

pinger = Ping.create:)bar)
pinger.ping("myhost")
lizzy:/tmp% ruby r
BarPing: pinging myhost
lizzy:/tmp%

Let me know what I can do to help move this along.

Daniel Berger

Jos Backus wrote:

[...]

Well, you could start by porting the ping_icmp() function from Ping.pm
to Ruby. I started working on it but I got stuck and I need to work on
other things. Below is what I've got so far:

require 'net/ping'

module Net
class Ping::ICMP < Ping

ICMP_ECHOREPLY = 0
ICMP_ECHO = 8
ICMP_SUBCODE = 0
ICMP_FLAGS = 0
ICMP_PORT = 0

def initialize(*args)
super(args)
raise 'requires root privileges' if Process.euid > 0 # unsure
@seq = 0
@data_size = 0
@data = ""
end

def checksum(msg)
length = msg.length
num_short = length / 2
check = 0

msg.unpack("n#{num_short}").each do |short|
check += short
end

if length % 2 > 0
check += msg[length-1, 1].unpack('C') << 8
end

check = (check >> 16) + (check & 0xffff)
return (~((check >> 16) + check) & 0xffff)
end

def ping
socket = Socket.new(
Socket::pF_INET,
Socket::SOCK_RAW,
Socket::IPPROTO_ICMP
)

@seq = (@seq + 1) % 65536
checksum = 0

pstring = "C2 n3 A" << @data_size.to_s
pid = Process.pid

msg = [ICMP_ECHO, ICMP_SUBCODE, checksum, pid, @seq,
@data].pack(pstring)
# TODO: finish
end
end
end

Regards,

Dan

Jos Backus

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

Well, you could start by porting the ping_icmp() function from Ping.pm
to Ruby. I started working on it but I got stuck and I need to work on
other things. Below is what I've got so far:

I've made some progress; see attached. Let me know what you think.

--
Jos Backus
jos at catnook.com

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

require 'rubygems'
require 'net/ping'

module Net
class Ping::ICMP < Ping

ICMP_ECHOREPLY = 0
ICMP_ECHO = 8
ICMP_STRUCT = 'C2 n3 A'

@pid = Process.pid & 0xffff
end

def checksum(msg)
length = msg.length
num_short = length / 2
check = 0

msg.unpack("n#{num_short}").each do |short|
check += short
end

if length % 2 > 0
check += msg[length-1, 1].unpack('C') << 8
end

check = (check >> 16) + (check & 0xffff)
return (~((check >> 16) + check) & 0xffff)
end

def ping(ip, timeout)
ret = nil
socket = Socket.new(
Socket::pF_INET,
Socket::SOCK_RAW,
Socket::IPPROTO_ICMP
)

@seq = (@seq + 1) % 65536
pstring = 'C2 n3 A' << @data_size.to_s

checksum = 0
msg = [ICMP_ECHO, ICMP_SUBCODE, checksum, @pid, @seq, @data].pack(pstring)
checksum = checksum(msg)
msg = [ICMP_ECHO, ICMP_SUBCODE, checksum, @pid, @seq, @data].pack(pstring)

begin
saddr = Socket.pack_sockaddr_in(ICMP_PORT, ip)
rescue => exc
return nil
end

@from_ip = @from_type = @from_subcode = nil
socket.send(msg, ICMP_FLAGS, saddr) # Send the message

done = false
finish_time = Time.now + timeout
while !done and timeout > 0
nfound = select([socket], nil, nil, timeout)
timeout = finish_time - Time.now
if nfound.nil? # timed out
ret = nil
done = true
elsif !nfound[0].empty?
recv_msg = ''
from_pid = -1
from_seq = -1
recv_msg, from_saddr = socket.recvfrom(1500, ICMP_FLAGS)
from_port, from_ip = Socket.unpack_sockaddr_in(from_saddr)
from_type, from_subcode = recv_msg[20, 2].unpack('C2')
case from_type
when ICMP_ECHOREPLY
if recv_msg.length >= 28
from_pid, from_seq = recv_msg[24, 4].unpack('n3')
end
else
if recv_msg.length >= 56
from_pid, from_seq = recv_msg[52, 4].unpack('n3')
end
end
@from_ip = from_ip
@from_type = from_type
@from_subcode = from_subcode
if from_pid == @pid and from_seq == @seq
if from_type == ICMP_ECHOREPLY
ret = 1
end
done = true
end
else
# Shouldn't happen
done = true
end
end
return ret
end

end

end

p = Net::ping::ICMP.new
p p.ping(ARGV.shift, 5)

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c--

Daniel Berger

Jos said:
[...]

Seems to work. Mind if I include with the next release of net-ping
(with acknowledgements, of course).

The only tweak I would make are to have it return true or false, instead
of 1 or nil.

Regards,

Dan

Jos Backus

Jos Backus wrote:
Seems to work. Mind if I include with the next release of net-ping
(with acknowledgements, of course).

Of course, thanks Daniel.
The only tweak I would make are to have it return true or false, instead
of 1 or nil.

Good idea. Now, the Perl Net::ping library returns duration:

($ret, $duration, $ip) = $p->ping($host, $timeout);

In array context, the elapsed time as well as the string form of the ip
the host resolved to are also returned.

What would be the best way to add that to the Ruby version? Obviously one
would want all Net::ping classes to support this. I have a local utility that
uses this information, which is why I need it.

Cheers,

Daniel Berger

Jos said:
Of course, thanks Daniel.

Great, thanks.
Good idea. Now, the Perl Net::ping library returns duration:

($ret, $duration, $ip) = $p->ping($host, $timeout);

In array context, the elapsed time as well as the string form of the ip
the host resolved to are also returned.

What would be the best way to add that to the Ruby version? Obviously one
would want all Net::ping classes to support this. I have a local utility that
uses this information, which is why I need it.

Cheers,

Hm, I'll have to think about the API. I suppose the most simple
approach is to just add accessors for duration and ip_address (with a
'nil' value by default). In practice, then, your code would look like this:

if p.ping?
puts p.ip_address
puts p.duration
end

How does that look?

Regards,

Dan

Jos Backus

Hm, I'll have to think about the API. I suppose the most simple
approach is to just add accessors for duration and ip_address (with a
'nil' value by default). In practice, then, your code would look like this:

if p.ping?
puts p.ip_address
puts p.duration
end

How does that look?

I like this much better than the positional API that Perl uses here ("Is
duration the 1st or 2nd return value?"). Plus it makes it easy to add futher
items down the road without breaking existing code. +1.

Daniel Berger

Jos said:
I like this much better than the positional API that Perl uses here ("Is
duration the 1st or 2nd return value?"). Plus it makes it easy to add futher
items down the road without breaking existing code. +1.

Ok, I'll add those. However, don't put too much stock in the duration.
Looking at the Perl code, it isn't much more than this:

start = Time.now
p.ping?
duration = Time.now - start

And you can get the ip via IPSocket.getaddress(host)

Regards,

Dan

Jos Backus

Ok, I'll add those. However, don't put too much stock in the duration.
Looking at the Perl code, it isn't much more than this:

start = Time.now
p.ping?
duration = Time.now - start

True, but one would want the timing measurement to be done as close as
possible around the send and the recvfrom, eliminating the avoidable overhead
of the method call and setup inside it being included in the duration. Plus,
having .duration is convenient, no?
And you can get the ip via IPSocket.getaddress(host)

Agreed. That functionality doesn't belong in this module.