Class file format

javaprog

Hi,
I've got a version of the Waba VM that only supports class files
format 45.3 (and probably below).
I'd like to modify the source so that it supports more recent formats,
however I can't find any documentation that describes the differences
between the different formats.
Sun has some excellent documentation that describes the whole class
file format, but it doesn't seem to explain what the differences are
between the different format versions.
Has anyone got, or can point me to some documentation that describes
this?
Thanks a lot,

JP

javaprog

Andrew Thompson said:
Do you mean Java 1.1?

Yes.
I can ensure that classes are compiled for this version using "javac
-target 1.1 ...", but I want it to be able to work irrespective of
this.

javaprog

Hi,
I've got a version of the Waba VM that only supports class files
format 45.3 (and probably below).
I'd like to modify the source so that it supports more recent formats,
however I can't find any documentation that describes the differences
between the different formats.
Sun has some excellent documentation that describes the whole class
file format, but it doesn't seem to explain what the differences are
between the different format versions.
Has anyone got, or can point me to some documentation that describes
this?
Thanks a lot,

JP

Sorry, this was supposed to be a new thread but I've obviously posted
it in the wrong place!

Liz

ya, I could put chocolate ice cream in my cone,
but I want it to be vanilla irrespective of this

javaprog

Liz said:
ya, I could put chocolate ice cream in my cone,
but I want it to be vanilla irrespective of this

Ya, well I can change the VM so that it will parse all types of class
files, so what's that got to do with anything, you muppet?